Rover 214SLi 1994 -Electrics problem - ironeagleuk
Hi all....new boy here, so apologies if am not making this clear enough.

I seem to have a problem with my electrics which could be a faulty Alternator.

The alternator has been on the car for approximately 5 years now.

I have replaced the bushes/brushes (regulator?) recently on the Alternator, as the battery wasn't charging, and upon inspection, one of the bushes/brushes was snapped. Also something had scored a groove into the plastic casing of the old regulator....but it could not be identified what caused this.

For the last 18 months the battery light on the dashboard has glowed dimly while the engine was running, but didn't cause any problems with regard to charging the battery.

One thing I did notice was that after driving for a few hours, the lights tended to dim and get bright again intermittently.

Today, the Alternator seems to have stopped charging again.

The battery light on the dashboard doesn't even light up when the ignition is switched on before firing up the engine.

Does this sound like the Alternator needs replacing?....or could it be something else?

Many thanks in advanced
Rover 214SLi 1994 -Electrics problem - ib33
Sounds like a bad connection, possibly at the alternator, try giving the alternator connections a clean and smear abit of grease to protect them. I would disconnect the battery first & check terminals for corrosion. If you have a multi-meter you can see if the alternator is charging as the voltage should rise to about 13-14V when the engine is running (this should not change much when you rev the engine).
Hope this helps.
Sounds like a bad connection, possibly at the alternator, try giving
the alternator connections a clean and smear abit of grease to
protect them. I would disconnect the battery first & check terminals
for corrosion. If you have a multi-meter you can see if
the alternator is charging as the voltage should rise to about
13-14V when the engine is running (this should not change much
when you rev the engine).
Hope this helps.

I've checked the voltage to the alternator from the battery, and all 3 connections produce 12V....or thereabouts.

Have also disconnected the connector to the alternator while the engine is running......and wiggled the wires to see if the voltage changes....but still doesn't go above 12V.

When the alternator was working fine, I was indeed getting around 14+V
Rover 214SLi 1994 -Electrics problem - Civic8
Did you replace the brush springs,it could be you have a weak one that prevents the brush staying in contact with commutator.

Just a thought,but if causing that much grief,I would suggest alternator replacement,repairs dont always work and cause more hassle than they are worth,IMO
--
Steve
Did you replace the brush springs,it could be you have a
weak one that prevents the brush staying in contact with commutator.
Just a thought,but if causing that much grief,I would suggest alternator
replacement,repairs dont always work and cause more hassle than they are
worth,IMO
--
Steve

>>

I replaced the whole regulator unit.....brushes and springs etc...

I just didn't want to replace the whole thing in case it was something else....but it seems it could be the alternator.....

am not sure what else could affect it
Rover 214SLi 1994 -Electrics problem - Robin the Technician
This is a classic diode failure. Don't even attempt to replace the diode pack as its a right pig to do (assuming this is a Lucas alternator). Just get an exchange unit from your local Partco - its cheap and 12 months warranty.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Hi all

Just to let you know....I bought a second hand alternator today, and have fitted it this evening.

So far so good....it seems to be charging....also the Battery light on the dashboard seems to be functioning correctly....ie, on before engine is fired up, but ignition on....and off once the engine is running, not glowing dimly.

I guess I'll have to run up a few miles before I know for certain that the problem is resolved.

Thanks for all your advice....tis much appreciated.