Dunlop or michelin tyres - BobL
I have a renault scenic 1.9 dynamique which has nearly 20k miles on the clock. All four tyres are now needing replacement. To replace the existing Dunlops is going to cost me £301. Michelin are £391. Is it worth paying the premium for the better brand? Am I likely to get more miles out of them? I`m keeping this car for at least another two years which will probably be beyond the life span of any tyres I get.
Dunlop or michelin tyres - Pugugly {P}
Have a look at mytyres.com - might save you a bit...
I don`t think the prices quoted are bad for a 205/60 R16 H rated tyres. The link given does not have local branches to me
Dunlop or michelin tyres - Dynamic Dave
The link given does not have local branches to me

Get them delivered to your house and find a local tyre fitter who'll fit them for you. There is an option on mytyres to look up local tyre fitters in your area and the price they charge for fitting 3rd party tyres.
Dunlop or michelin tyres - Dalglish
Get them delivered to your house

>>

what, all the way from australia?
mytyres.com takes you to oz, whereas the link pugugly probably meant to give was:
www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html

The link given does not have local branches to me

>>

compare all inclusive prices at
www.blackcircles.com/

they do specify fitting centres that will do the all inclusive job.

Thanks for the info on tyre prices but I was really after answers regarding whether to fit michelin or dunlop
info on tyre prices but I was really after answers regarding
whether to fit michelin or dunlop

>>

sorry, pehaps like the others, i misread your question. i thought price difference was your main consideration in choosing between the two.
if you can get the price differential reduced, then the question can be focussed on which brand to choose irrespective of the cost.
anyway, you are now saying cost is immaterial. sorry, can't help there, as i stick with the orignal spec dunlops on my beemer and original spec michelins on my vauxhall - irrespective of cost.

Dunlop or michelin tyres - Armitage Shanks {p}
Do you think it unusual that your rear tyres have worn out as fast as the fronts? I mean, the fronts drive, steer and brake and rears are there to keep the back off the ground and do a bit of braking? Do you drive with lots of passengers all the time?
A mixture of full load and one driver also. Been used for towing trailer tent as well. Its a 1.9dci
Dunlop or michelin tyres - Armitage Shanks {p}
Hi Bob - that explains that then! I only ever drive one up, in a FWD vehicle, and my rear tyres have loads of life left!
Dunlop or michelin tyres - Roger Jones
I keep my cars a long time and always buy Michelin for longer life. They are also coming out well in ride and quietness tests these days.

If either tyre make is likely to outlive your use of the vehicle, you can either go cheapest way and risk a purchaser knocking a chunk off the price because the tyres are obviously on the way out, or go Michelin and reckon on having enough tread left to point out to a purchaser that s/he's not going to have to change the tyres for a good while and you are therefore not budging on your asking price.

The fact that a car I purchased last year had a lot of tread on its tyres certainly influenced my attitude to its price, knowing that I would not have to go out and spend up to £400 soon after purchase.
Dunlop or michelin tyres - turbo11
Personally,I would go for the Michelins.All the ones I have had fitted have lasted well.The last dunlops I fitted to my fathers Passat didn,t last very well(less than 16K)
Dunlop or michelin tyres - daveyjp
If you are keeping the car for a while Michelins. If you envisage getting rid cheapest decent make you can find. I've been impressed with the Michelins on the A3. Now done over 20,000 miles and still some way off the depth indicators, expect to get another 5,000 miles from them.

Dunlops on the A2 lasted less than 20,000 and this was a lighter car. I'm wondering if DSG makes a difference as ESP flashing starts are very rare. Even though the A2 only had 75 PS the torque meant it was easy to get the front wheels spinning on damp surfaces - not good for tyres!
Dunlop or michelin tyres - Hamsafar
It depends on the model Michelin or Dunlop.
A rubbish Michelin will be worse than a good Dunlop.
For the same amount of money, you will probably get a better Dunlop, as you aren't paying for motorsport sponsorship and adverts in the media etc...
Dunlop or michelin tyres - drbe
The question you asked was whether the Michelin would last longer than the Dunlop (or vice versa). Try this site, it's American, but the wear gradings should be the same as UK.

www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/Tires/pages/Tireratings.cfm
Dunlop or michelin tyres - AR-CoolC
I changed from Michelin to Dunlop on my old Docus, and have to say I much prefered the feel of the Dunlops.

Can't remember the type of Michelin, but the Dunlops were Sport01's
Dunlop or michelin tyres - Bill Payer
Dunlops is going to cost me £301. Michelin are £391. Is it worth paying the premium for the
better brand? Am I likely to get more miles out of
them?

Dunlop is still a premium brand, but the Michelin's should last longer.

If long life is the main thing, and you can get them in your size, then go for the new Michelin Primacy HP (the 'HP' version is new).
If you have (or can access) Costco membership, then they're about the cheapest for Michelin, but most places will probably need to order the HP's.
Dunlop or michelin tyres - robcars
I think you need to identify which michelin or dunlop tyre they are quoting you for. michelin make 100's of tyres as do dunlop.

Its like saying whats best; ford or vauxhall; comparing a ka to a vectra is bit awkward. Do you want economy, room, features, towing ability or what?

Comparing a top range michelin to bottom range dunlop is no comparison and vice versa.
Thanks for all that info. I`m tending towards the Michelin Tyres but I will have to check out the exact model/spec

Ask Honest John

Value my car