Golf mk3 rear spoiler painting and cost? - adam f
wanting to buy a rear lip spoiler for my golf. £33 from volkswagon but they only sell the black plastic ones. do you think i could sand this down to get rid of the 'orange peel' effect so that i could paint it to be green like the colour of my golf? anyone know if i could get it cheaper anywhere or one that comes in pre-primed and what sort of sand paper to use?
Golf mk3 rear spoiler painting and cost? - Civic8
Why would you want to get rid of (orange peel effect)?,Its there for a reason,bearing in mind it has to be fitted exactly,or it will only be there to look good and increase drag.

Dont see the point myself
--
Steve
Golf mk3 rear spoiler painting and cost? - Red Baron
How bad is the orange peel effect? if you are sure that that is what it is.

Orange peel effect is usually associated with poor application of paint. So I'm a bit puzzled that you should see it on the a-supplied black plastic spoiler. If the surface is simply slightly rough, then this will in part provide a key for the paint. Some of the roughness will also be evened out by the application of paint layers. In fact, if the surface is slightly rough, the orange peel effect is less likely to appear. The surface roughness helps to control the 'spreading' of the paint across the surface.
Golf mk3 rear spoiler painting and cost? - Peter D
A MkIII spoiler is smooth, I have one. However they are plastic and require two pack bonding primers to ensure your paint stays on so go to a indi body shop and get a quote and see what it costs. Regards Peter