206 had it..is it normal - bbroomlea{P}
Mate at work has a 206 1.1 on a 52 plate with just less than 40K on the clock and within the last 12 months had big bills. He has owned the car from new (50 miles on delivery) and had it serviced every 12 months.

In the last year he has had to replace the coil packs at great expense and the injectors. Last week the gear selector fell in the gearbox and had a bill for over £300 for a recon box and now it has started to overheat. Closer inspection showed no oil on the dipstick and needed 2 litres of water to get it to a level in the expansion tank so another big bill looming (personally think its the headgasket as it burns oil at high revs and white smoke(steam) even when its warm).

His car has been nothing but bother and was wondering whether this was a friday afternoon car - he is keen to know as he thinks regardless of the £1000+ spent on servicing this would have happened anyway and therefore a waste of money. Its being chopped in soon for something similar but has put him ( and me) off something French.

206 had it..is it normal - L'escargot
His car has been nothing but bother and was wondering whether
this was a friday afternoon car ....

There is no such thing as a Friday afternoon car. Cars which come off the production line on Fiday afternoon will probably have started out on the line on Friday morning. Not only that, final assembly of cars is carried out using parts and sub-assemblies that have been produced at some time in the past by all sorts of suppliers on all sorts of days. In any case, quality control on Friday afternoon will be just as strict as at any other time.
--
L\'escargot.
206 had it..is it normal - kenl
There is no such thing as a Friday afternoon car.

"Friday afternoon car" is just a figure of speech, I don't think anyone actually believes it makes a difference?
206 had it..is it normal - Armitage Shanks {p}
206s are only built on Fridays - they are all 'Friday cars' - LOL!
206 had it..is it normal - Xileno {P}
Well if the surveys are to be believed, then Peugeot seem to be suffering some problems at the moment, particularly with the 307. However, there will be someone along in a minute to say their Peugeot has done fifty thousand million miles and only needed a new bulb. Certaily the Peugeots we used to run as a family were tough and reliable but we stopped when the 205 was terminated. Never liked the 206, seemed a lukewarm attempt at a replacement.
My 307 is 2 years old (nearly) and 21K miles; it has behaved as follows.

1. Digital compter screen symbology failed when hot, £115 on warranty

2. First service £107 - good

3. Passenger side sun visor mounting broke (cheap plastic) warranty job

4. Interim service picked up failed reversing light switch, warranty again.

It is a 1.6 hdi and gives me 55mpg in the summer and 52 in the winter and has been largely trouble free, practical and not very exciting to drive.
206 had it..is it normal - robcars
French!
206!

Doesnt need to be a friday built car!

Quality of french cars is not as good as used to be in my opinion. Am surprised it has not had big electrical problems too.

206 had it..is it normal - Andrew-T
"French! 206! "

Most, if not all, 206s are assembled at Ryton (but not for much longer). Maybe a French-built Renault would be more reliable? :o)

Seriously though, whether or not this one was put together on Friday, the 206 is not a bad car, as it has sold in large numbers. I think examples of almost any model can be found with more than a fair share of faults.
206 had it..is it normal - daveyjp
I don't regard three trips to the dealer in two years largely trouble free.

They may only be minor problems, but each would involve a few hours of my time to sort out. I have had one warranty job on my car in the last year which took 20 minutes to actually fix, but it took me half a day to sort everything out - calling dealer, dropping it off, sorting courtesy car, back to dealer etc etc!

Although you are lucky - a neighbour with a brand new 307 soon got rid after the ECU, exhaust (twice), engine mounts, door seals were all replaced in his 18 months of ownership!

A colleague has a 206 diesel Y reg owned since new approaching 100,000 miles. Only problem he has had is a pulley which has needed replacing at 40,000 mile intervals due to it developing faults.
206 had it..is it normal - stevied
Seems a long time since the days of the 504 et al doesn't it?

I'd rather put pins in my eyes than drive a current Peugeot. Well, I'd maybe drive one if I could get in it without looking at it.

Is the 407 coupé a joke? It HAS to be...
206 had it..is it normal - Gromit {P}
Brother's girlfriend had a '99 206 which was chopped in for an Almera when the clutch failed around 60,000 miles. It was the last in a series of breakdowns (mostly transmission related) that left her stranded.

Buying an Almera was a sign of desperation because a) she's French and b) her uncle is a Peugeot dealer back home, so she was loyal to the brand on both counts. But no more...
There's a very mixed bag of results on the carsurvey.org site. Despite us having Peugeots in the past, I found the driving position of the 206 poor with its offset pedals. This may be something to do with RHD conversion. Also I refuse to buy any car where the manufacturer is too tight fisted to convert the wipers to RHD. It can be a safety issue as well, pulling out from a junction looking right and there's a large curve of unswept windscreen. There's no excuse, it's just the bean counters putting two fingers up at the export market. To be fair to Peugeot (why I don't know...), they're not the only manufacturers who are guilty of this.
I've been to the doctor more than 3 times in 2 years and I am relatively trouble free! Mind you I am older and more complicated than a 307! LOL!
206 had it..is it normal - alex

"... it's just the bean counters putting two fingers up at the export market."

But how can this be ? After all, the 206 is made at Coventry and some versions are exported from the UK !
The 206 is made all over the place, some in Coventry but also Poissy and Mulhouse in France. Also some made in Iran and Chile for local markets.

I doubt Coventry had much, if any, input into the original design. The french would have signed it off and most of their markets for this model are LHD.
206 had it..is it normal - robcars
It may be built at ryton but the design is the same wherever its built. More models are sold for lhd market so thats why they have stuck two fingers up to the english market.

As for better models when it goes to france for production; dont you believe it. Ryton has met all its targets; but its cheaper and easier to make british workers redundant than french so we lose ! Not down to build quality difference over here.

The quality problems are inherent in its design, not its manufacture.
206 had it..is it normal - alex

Thanks for clarifying this point.

On another matter ... I did read that many of the 206's components (for the 206s made at Ryton) are imported to the UK from France.
It would be interesting to know what the local UK content of the 206 is. I suspect not very much.
206 had it..is it normal - stunorthants
I worked in a main dealer workshop for a year and I saw all the used cars going through the 'reconditioning for sale' process.
It was a Rover main dealer so I saw a lot of Rovers obviously, but it was a 120-car used forcourt with about 65 other make vehicles aswell as Rovers.
The Rovers on the whole, as long as they had been serviced, cheap to turn around and without real faults.
The german makes were about the same.
The japanese cars were 99% fault free and we sold a lot of them, especially Micras.
Which leads me onto the french cars - sorry but unless they were virtually brand new, not only were they rarely not needing work, but even when sold they came back like the proverbial boomerang - ive not known one motor trader who had any interest in them unless they are dirt cheap, because they need to be to cover the warranty returns.
Oh and 206 sales figures are largely made up by hire car and fleet purchases, such as estate agents hacks and bears no reflection on the publics affection for them.

Its a real shame for Peugeot especially because cars like the 404, 504 and 505 to mention a few, gained them a reputation for building tough, durable cars and now they have thrown that all away for style and technology that frankly, was engineered by children because it frequently fails to meet even basic expectations of your average buyer.
Ive worked in the motor trade for too long to get sucked into believing that modern french cars are any good, they just arent.

206 had it..is it normal - Andrew-T
"206 sales figures are largely made up by hire car and fleet purchases"

Really - I understood that the 206 was one of the better-selling cars in Britain largely because of private sales - rather like the Fiesta?
206 had it..is it normal - carl_a
"206 sales figures are largely made up by hire car and
fleet purchases"
Really - I understood that the 206 was one of the
better-selling cars in Britain largely because of private sales - rather
like the Fiesta?

I heard that the 206 was in fact the best selling car for private sales, its the looks that sell them. Not sure about the Fiesta, there is a huge amount of short term employee schemes with those.
"Friday afternoon car" is just a figure of speech, I don't
think anyone actually believes it makes a difference?

Some people that aren't conversant with car manufacturing (or any other manufacturing come to that) think it makes a difference. They imagine that the assembly workers don't give a monkey's on Friday afternoon and that all they're bothered about is getting to the end of their shift so that they can go home for the weekend. I can understand them having that point of view. After all, why should someone who has never worked for a manufacturing company think otherwise?
--
L\'escargot.
206 had it..is it normal - Big Bad Dave
"I don't think anyone actually believes it makes a difference"

Certainly makes a difference to me. I do important tasks in the morning and easy stuff in the afternoon when I?ve had a skin-full.
206 had it..is it normal - Waino
I thought 206s were made in India with the aid of trained elephants - on Friday afternoons.
I do important tasks in
the morning and easy stuff in the afternoon when I?ve had
a skin-full.

Lucky you! My final employers introduced a condition of employment for all new employees that they did not drink alcohol in the lunch break.
--
L\'escargot.
206 had it..is it normal - barchettaman
At BBD´s work it´s compulsory vodka after lunch, and he sets his FiL on anyone who tries to refuse.
When I worked at BAe Warton in the 80s there was a staff dining room with free sherry, beer and cider! How times change and to be honest a lunchtime drink is probably not a good idea, even if you are not operating machinery!
206 had it..is it normal - bbroomlea{P}
just a quick update, the radiator and waterpump need replacing which has obviously caused the waterloss and overheating.

Looking likely its took the HG as well due to oil consumption and the amount of steam its still producing (even in this weather!)

Hes getting the waterpump and rad done and getting rid in a couple of months and moving on to a new warrior!