6K Family car - jpfarrello
I have 6K to spend on a solid family car. I have considered a Passat, Audi A4 and old A6, old 5 series BMW, Honda Accord, Toyota Avensis and high spec Mo Mondeos. It appears to be a trade off between old quality high milers and newer cars perceived as less quality vehicles.
The Passats seem to get a hammering on quality. Toyota Avensis seem OK and pretty cheap, Accords the same. I have to narrow it down to look properly. Any thoughts? What should I avoid on my list? Should I get myself down to the auctions with a knowledgeable friend?
Thanks
Re: 6K Family car - Dog Breath
It all depends on your priorities. If you want reliability you go for the Jap cars. But if like me you can't stand the cheap black plactic, then you have to look at European cars. What are your priorities? All of the ones you list could be classed as solid family cars.
Re: 6K Family car - Matt
Have you looked at the Daewoo Matiz? Great room inside, power steering, 3 years free servicing and AA membership and a great wee car to drive.
We are about to replace our T reg with another Matiz as it is incredible value for money.
Take a test drive in one before you spend your £6K?
Regards,
Matt.
Re: 6K Family car - Todd
The thread title says family car, not family deathtrap. I'd go with the avensis, but don't reckon on the 40-45mpg HJ talks about in the car by car breakdown. More like 30 on supermarket petrol. They drive very nicely as well with variable valve timing. The interior is very comfy as well. The mondeo has more headroom.Matt wrote:
>
> Have you looked at the Daewoo Matiz? Great room inside, power
> steering, 3 years free servicing and AA membership and a
> great wee car to drive.
> We are about to replace our T reg with another Matiz as it is
> incredible value for money.
> Take a test drive in one before you spend your £6K?
> Regards,
> Matt.
Re: 6K Family car - Tony
Primara,Avensis,or the best Mondeo you can afford/find.
Re: 6K Family car - Paul C
My girlfriends family have had 2 old style Accords and cannot fault them. A bit plasticy inside, but considering they are now 7 years old with 150k I thought they had stood up amazingly well to the battering they get. Apparently the 2.3 is a bit thirsty though, but is a fairly good Q car. Go for the best Accord you can find.

Paul C
Re: 6K Family car - Andy P
The Avensis, according to What Car?, is a deprecition disaster, so a good used one should be a good buy. IMHO the Accord is probably better (although I'm biased). One of the most reliable cars you can buy.

Andy
Re: 6K Family car - Andy P
This makes interesting reading..

integra.vtec.net/geeser/terminator.html

Andy
Re: 6K Family car - Miles Brignall
I too can recommend an Avensis and do get 40-5mpg on long runs and 38mpg at 85 - and we have an estate. Very quiet on motorway, comfy etc - not sparkling through the corners but safe, good alarm, lowish insurance, good build and you know it's always going to start.

TDI Passat is another obvious choice but it will all depend on how long you intend to keep it, milage etc

Miles
Re: 6K Family car - Matt
Todd,
On what basis do you state that the Matiz is a deathtrap?
Do you have statistics that I have not read - as an IAM observer and a RoSPA member?
If someone has £6000 to spend on a car, should he not at least have a try at a very good deal which will cost him nothing for three years, as opposed to buying someone elses problem.
Regards,
Matt
Re: 6K Family car - Simon Butterworth
I would not want to get into the deathtrap debate, though smaller cars tend to be less protective. The original inquiry was for a family car, the matiz is a sub 1litre super mini/small people carrier. However good it is at that i doubt it would take a family of four, a large tent and camping gear in the boot and 75kg on the roof which is my user requirement for a family car!
Re: 6K Family car - jpfarrello
Thanks for your thoughts. I do quite like the Avensis and they are dirt cheap. It was interesting that no-one mentioned high miler Audis etc. I going to see a Passsat estate. Any thoughts? If not it could be a 2.0 CDX Avensis.