Anyone else's Passat rusting - Halmer
due to the design fault where the wing rubs against metal where it meets the bottom of the windscreen?
Anyone else's Passat rusting - Imagos
To which year model ('96-05,'05- ) are you talking about Sir?
Anyone else's Passat rusting - type's'
Be careful not to VAG bash now chaps - I can't believe an expensive and well made car like a VAG actually rusts !!!!

Sorry couldn't help it
Anyone else's Passat rusting - MG Man
oh dear carnt stop laughing. Serves all the VAG saddos right
Anyone else's Passat rusting - Beetlefan
Don't be too hasty with your laughter, M.G/Rover 75 models are gaining a reputation for door bottoms rusting out!! (I own an Audi and an M.G!!!)
Anyone else's Passat rusting - blue_haddock
Be careful not to VAG bash now chaps - I can't
believe an expensive and well made car like a VAG actually
rusts !!!!

Why not? Mercs do!
Anyone else's Passat rusting - Xileno {P}
Mercs rust? Surely some mistake.
My Uncle still has his 1987 Merc, it's spotless.
Anyone else's Passat rusting - George Porge
Halmer states in another thread his car us 4 years old, who knows what has happened to it in that time.

Proud to be a Golf saddo
Anyone else's Passat rusting - Stuartli
How does a galvanised body rust in such a case?

VAG has a 12 year bodywork warranty so Halmer should be OK...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Anyone else's Passat rusting - Dynamic Dave
VAG has a 12 year bodywork warranty so Halmer should be OK...:-)

You sure you're not confusing that with a perforation warranty?
>>You sure you're not confusing that with a perforation warranty?>>

The actual wording is:

The VW dealer guarantees for the vehicle sold by him, that for:

*3 years from the date of delivery no paint defects, and

*6 years after delivery no throughrusting (vehicles without fully galvanised body)

*12 years after delivery no through rusting (vehicles with fully galvanised body

will occur on the body.

Should this type of damage nevertheless occur, it will be repaired free of charge for parts and labour by any VW dealer anywhere in Europe.

Warranty claims will not be accepted if:

*this damage is due to external influence or insufficient care, or

*damage to the body is not repaired promptly and appropriately in accordance with the instructions of the manufactuer, or

*performation rusting was originally caued by the use of non-genuine parts for body repairs.

Anyone else's Passat rusting - Tornadorot
How does a galvanised body rust in such a case?

Galvanisation doesn't prevent rust indefinitely, especially if the thin zinc coating gets abraded away.
VAG has a 12 year bodywork warranty so Halmer should be
OK...:-)

Only if you can prove that any body repair/respray work was performed by a VAG-approved bodyshop, as I found out recently :-(
Anyone else's Passat rusting - Altea Ego
I have not seen any rusty Passats around the wing/screen area.

Has it had an accident? replacement wing?

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I've noticed it on mine and a few others.

The car is four years old.

Where the wing meets the chrome trim which runs around the window, the two body parts 'touch'.

Presumably, as the wing flexes a little, the chrome trim rubs against the paint on the wing and wears it through to the metal. Mine has worn a groove into the metal which is rusting regardless of whether it is galvanised. It is only small at the moment but nevertheless a design fault. I've looked at a few Passats and mine is not the only one. You will not notice it normally and need to look close.

If you have a Passat, have a look and you'll see what I mean.
Seriously - I hope this is covered under warranty and I will look at the Passat I offloaded to my father in law which is 3 years old now - but I know the dealers have some weazel words somewhere that state the perforation warranty is for problems coming from 'within' the body. Please can some wise back roomer correct me on this if I am wrong.
Anyone else's Passat rusting - George Porge
Had a new windscreen maybe? Is the otherside touching too?
I don't actually like being clever but see below from VW website concerning rust warranty - it is only for internal rust cavities so you may be out of luck with VW repair. I woudl still try it on though - it must be worth a try.

If your new vehicle is one of the following models: Lupo, Polo Hatch, Golf Hatch and Estate, fresh Beetle, Bora, Passat Saloon and Estate, you are covered by a 12 year Long-term Body Protection Warranty. All other models are covered for a 6 year period. This warranty protects you against the cost of rectifying rust attacking the internal cavities of the bodywork (from the inside out).
Anyone else's Passat rusting - cheddar
I saw an S plate Polo (98/99) the other day that was very rusty, compared poorly with my wife's Clio of the same age which has no signs of corrosion whatsoever.

I dont know about rusting Passats however Ford have had a few problems on the Mondeo and Focus around 2001/02 caused by a faulty sealer that hardens and comes away exposing the door seams to moisture. My Mondeo had this problem on the rear doors, it is galvanised so did not "rust" rather exhibited some kind of white oxidisation. My car was nearly four years old and had done 100,000 miles so was out of warranty by a year and 40,000 miles so Ford could have stood by the strict terms of the 12 year corrosion warranty and told me to come back if and when if it perforated. However they have a reputation to uphold, they took it seriously and replaced both rear doors, providing me with a (brand new) C-Max while they did it. I imagine that VW would take the same view.
Anyone else's Passat rusting - Sofa Spud
We have two 1994 VWs - a Passat 1.9 TDI Estate and a Golf Mk 3 1.4 CL.

The Passat has no noticeable structural rust anywhere. The Golf likewise except one rear door bottom is flaking where a dent was repaired by the VW dealer where tha car was damaged between the time we agreed to buy it and when we collected it!!! That was 8 years ago.

If we keep these two old workhorses, to be realistic I'd expect to see rust appearing in the next few years though.
My last car was a March 1990 registered VW Jetta 1.6 TX - I bought it in 1995 (immaculate) and, when it left me three years ago, the bodywork was still, as far as I am aware, rust free.

I still see it occasionally on local roads.

The car is immaculate and original apart from this little abberation. It is nothing to do with repairs or replacements. It is a design fault methinks.
Anyone else's Passat rusting - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Can't see rust on mine But mine is the 'S' and there is not any chrome trim in the area..
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Therein lieith the answer.

The chrome trim is an after thought!