Legacy/Forester readers mpg - Surrey_Scientist
Considering buying a Subaru legacy or forester but have been told that the mpg on these vehicles is horrific.

Can anyone tell me accurately what mpg they have been getting - i.e. from brimming the tank, and logging mileage and volume of fuel filled with.

a local mechanic said his 2.5auto struggled to get even 25mpg on a long run, and range with the fuel tank was rubbish as tank is really too small for these vehicles with their poor mpg.

I would be looking at a forester 2.0 auto , or a legacy 2.2 or 2.5 auto.

I need an estate or small mpv that will occaisionally tow a large 4 berth caravan, but still nice for the "man about town" to drive the rest of the year.

Car must be auto, but can't have anyting too huge as driveway at home is short, as is parking at work, I'd rather not have anything with a raging thirst.

Caravan is my sisters, I'm going to be allowed to use it over the summer, but can't borrow her towcar as its husbands company car (needs it for work everyday, I can't be insured on it)

My current car isn't big enough to tow (toyota corolla) and needs a big service, so either spend money on it or change for something that can tow......
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - madf
What Car had a 2.5 on long term use. 25 mpg was good.
Local near me has a 1999 2.0 manual. Averages 29mpg.

My experience towing with a Jaguar XJ6 suggests take 1/3rd off all the above when towing.

My view is unless you have loads of surplus money, any Subaru is far too heavy on fuel to be a real choice for anyone doing >around 8k miles pa.

I looked very carefully 2 years ago and decided not to. Imo the correct decision bourne out by events. £1.25 per litre and a Subaru? Not for me thanks...
madf
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - Aprilia
They are a bit heavy on fuel, but any 2.0-2.5 litre auto used for towing WILL be a bit thirsty. The good thing about a Suby is that they are tough and reliable, good towcars, and not too dear if you're buying secondhand. Like to be more economical than an SUV-style 4x4.
At best you might find another petrol car which does 5mpg more - is that going to make a big difference to your finances?

Legacy/Forester readers mpg - Happy Blue!
I have a Forester 2.0 XT (Turbo) Auto. I do about 8,000 miles pa of mostly urban and suburban driving with almost no cross country or motorway driving at all.

I get at best about 22mpg for this sort of work, but it does improve to about 28mpg on a motorway run keeping the cruise control at about 85mph.

Is the ecomony poor? - Yes. But, I only do 8,000miles pa and a Golf Diesel 140TDi DSG would only save me at most £800pa. Frankly, I can afford the extra to enjoy a far superior car.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - tr7v8
I had an r plated Legacy 2.5 4Cam estate Auto. I never bettered more than 22.5MPG in the year I had it. The worst was towing an empty car trailer to Dudley W Midlands when I got 12!!!!! Head winds etc...
Servicing at Subaru dealers was very expensive & frequent (7,500 service intervals) and the dealer was mediocre as well. Poorly equipped as well, no A/C, no sunroof or leather, I'd always wated one & it was a very expensive mistake!
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - legacylad
Up until early last year I ran an R plate '97 GLS estate. Over 3 years it averaged 32mpg on a daily 50 mile commute on rural A roads/dual carriageway. Yes, parts were expensive if bought from dealers, but as we all know, the major cost is depreciation. I bought mine at 4 years old with 45k miles, price £3,500. Sold (with difficulty)3 and a half years later and 90k miles for £1900.Only routine servicing/parts were needed.
I shall be looking for another in the very near future as my mileage will only be 8k pa, but I need to sell my van first! See separate thread!

Legacy/Forester readers mpg - jdc
I have a 53 plate Legacy Outback 2.5 Se (new model), auto,

My wife runs around in this on shortish journeys and gets a steady 26-27mpg. For her annual mileage (not much) it is acceptable.

When I go on longer runs I get an easy 32-34mpg, no problem. It can even get up to 36-38 on a 65-75 cruise for longish periods,

Like other have said, for any 2.5 petrol auto, would another 5mpg make that much of a difference to overall figures ?

Range on short journeys from the tank is around the 300 region - on the longer runs 400 miles is achievable.

For such a quality vehicle that is a joy to own, I can put up with these figures. It makes an interesting companion to my other car - a Fabia VrS !

The guy who was getting 22mpg from a 2.5 4-cam must have been caning it at max power all the time. I had one for 3 years, drove fairly briskly and was always around 30mpg, except crawling in heavy traffic.

jdc
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - tr7v8
No I wasn't caning it, it's the first car where it made absolutely no difference. Driven like an old woman it was 22.5, driven like I sold it 22MPG! Was yours an Auto? I bet to get 30MPG it was a manual. I came to the conclusion that the 16valve 2.5 didn't suit an auto. I've heard of other people getting similar issues on auto legacy's of the same period, although the newer one was a fair bit better.
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - Wilco {P}
05 plate Leggy Tourer 2.5 manual - 32mpg average over 20,000 miles, mostly motorway and A roads.

Well worth it :o)
" bet to get 30MPG it was a manual."

No, it was an auto.

Lovely motor, smooth, refined, discreet - just much more improved with the newer models.

Never got anywhere near 22mpg

jdc
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - hillman
I have run Legacy estates for the last five years, the first three a manual 2.0l and the last two an auto 2.0l. The fuel consumption mostly in suburban driving and queuing on the A6 is between 27 and 32 mpg.
My first (manual), new at Y reg. (sold at 36700 miles), gave 29.91 mpg overall for the first two years to 25000 miles.
My second (auto), new at '04 reg.(now 25500 miles), gives to date 29.38 mpg overall, cost per mile fuel alone 13.18 p/mile, with parts,new tyres (nails etc) and insurance 21.06 p/mile.

I always fill to the top and run for 7 days or until I have to fill up of necessity.

I know nothing of towing, but if I was in a muddy caravan park I would be much happier with the manual. It had effectively 10 forward and two reverse gears. Much more control.
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - Nsar
By chance I filled my tank at the weekend. I've zeroed the trip meter and I'll let you know what it says when I hit the precise half way mark.

The trip computer showed an average 0f 30.5mpg driving in heavy traffic into town today with about 5 miles of M/way and 9miles of congestion, using my normal driving style,

2.5 Auto Legacy 04 plate
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - davros
Did Norfolk to London and back last weekend in my 04 Legacy 2.5 auto Wagon on a mix of lanes, A roads and the A1, plus North London stop-start. Averaged 33.9 mpg. Best I've seen on a run is 35 mpg.

Your local mecahnic must have a very heavy right foot . . .

Lowest I ever see is 24 mpg doing short trips on country lanes and up the odd farm track.

As just one element of the total through-life costs of the car, I don't think this is too bad - just had a 20,000 mile service at a main dealer and was a bit shocked to be charged £280, including fluids and a set of plugs. But friend was charged over £450 for a similar job on a similar-vintage Audi A4, which I suppose is over 1,200 miles-worth of fuel.

Davros
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - Dude - {P}
Does anybody on the forum run a 2006 model 2 litre Legacy with the non turbo`d 165 bhp engine, as it is on my short list for my replacement vehicle, and would be interested to hear any mpg figures for either the manual or auto version.???
I think the 2.0 is quoted at 138bhp and the 2.5 at 165bhp

I drove the 2.0 and thought it was pretty gutless.
I thought the new 2.0 non turbo was about 165bhp and had good torque characteristics making the 2.0 Turbo redundant in the Forester.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Apologies, you're right I was thinking of the pre '06 versions.
Accepted - but if you didn't drive a Subaru, I might not have!
--
My Legacy 2.0l auto is also a bit of a powder puff when it comes to hot rodding, but I didn't buy it for that.

I will try to log in the missing mileage/fuel data for the last year of my previous manual and get the total figures over three years. I note down the data at every fill, but it sits there in my notebook until I work up the energy to log it.
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - Dude - {P}
URL from the Subaru website detailing power outputs of the 2006 modified engines :-

www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/subaru_co_uk.nsf/NULL/8...t
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - HectorG
As it happens, I was in a Subaru dealers today testing a 3.0 Outback auto and a 2.0 Sports Tourer manual.

The Outback was incredibly smooth and refined compared with my 2.5 petrol X-Trail. It had a great ride, very good performance and very little wind noise. The 2.0 was also surprisingly good.

One of the salesman, who has been very honest with me in the past re poor fuel consumption of Subarus in general, said he had 2 customers who had reluctantly upgraded to 3.0 autos after Subaru dropped the 2.5. They are both achieving close to 30 mpg in a predominantly rural area and are consequently delighted.

I will be testing a 3.0 Spec B in a couple of weeks and will report back.

I have almost bought Subaru in the past but this time it is just a case of choosing the right model. The quality is superb and they represent amazing value for money.

HectorG
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - TheOilBurner
I was looking at a Legacy myself a few months back and noticed that the official figures show the autos giving much higher MPG than the manuals due to very long gearing.

So, a newish Subaru with an auto should be comparable to other, similar sized and engined cars. Performance wasn't so great with the long gearing though, manual versions being much quicker.

Even so, I do so many miles I had to abandon the idea of a Legacy so I could get a diesel, roll on a Subaru boxer diesel engine!
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - thallium81
I have been averaging 1000 miles/week in my new model 3.0 Outback since Feb. 2005, Ive just passed the 67000 mark. My fuel consumption averages 26/27 mpg on long motorway journeys but only about 22 mpg faffing around big Northern cities. Anyone who can consistently obtain 30mpg in one of these delightful cars has my admiration.
I have a mate with an 3.0 Outback. We consistently get the same mpg as each other and as thallium81 above.
--
I entered the last year of the records of my Legacy Y reg 2.0l manual estate. Mostly suburban with the awful A6 twice a day

My first (manual), new at Y reg. (sold at 36700 miles), gave 29.94 mpg overall, cost per mile for fuel 11.22 pence, cost per mile overall 36.93 pence, which includes everything I spent on it including insurance and original cost minus trade in value.

My second (auto), new at '04 reg.(now 25500 miles), gives to date 29.38 mpg overall, cost per mile for fuel alone 13.18 pence, with parts, new tyres (nails etc) and insurance 21.06 p/mile when I trade it I'll have a better idea of the overall cost.

I always fill to the top and run for 7 days or until I have to fill up of necessity.
thallium,

I think the owners reporting 30 mpg may have been relying on the on-board computer. My experience,and that of many posting on this forum, suggests that the computer figures can be as much as 10% out. This would then give a figure of 27 mpg, which is probably be more realistic.

Despite this relatively poor figure it sounds as though you still really like the car. Do you have any regrets or reservations about your choice?

I am surprised by your choice of an Outback when it would appear that most of your driving is on 'main' roads. Did you try the Sports Tourer?

I have not yet driven the 3.0 Sports Tourer (Spec B Auto), but I expect the ride of the Outback is much more forgiving. I would welcome your comments.

BTW, do you ever work out all that extra cost compared with a diesel as you cover 1000 miles a week, or do you like driving too much! ?

Cheers

HectorG
The 3.0 is significantly more thirsty than the 2.5.

I've calculated my average using some rough figures and it concurs more or less with the trip computer as an average of 32 over the life of the car so far - this would correspond with my earlier figures and balances out the short/long journeys. Mine is 2.5 SE Outback.

I chose the Outback over the standard Tourer for the extra clearance which comes in really useful - using a big tow-bar cycle rack, urban potholes, speed humps, muddy rugby fields etc.etc.

If rides beautifully over all surfaces and just feels a bit more rugged and less easily messed up than the Tourer.

jdc

HectorG
I derive my fuel consumption figures by dividing the total monthly mileage by the volume of fuel loaded at the end of each month, I note my motorway miles and my city miles separately; this method admittedly is not 100% accurate but it's pretty fair over time I think.
I have no regrets about buying an Outback, I tried several cars in the price range and to my mind this one was head and shoulders above the opposition. I'm not too keen on the pale cream leather upholstery; I've got a dog!
I went for the Outback instead of the Sports Tourer because of the large amount of city driving I do. (Think Leeds, Hull,Newcastle etc etc) and the big lumps of metal I cart around; the suspension and extra ground clearance are worth the slightly inferior ride , IMO.
Yes I know it is an extravagant motor but I love driving and it is a joy. Anyway it is all about to come to a grinding halt as I am moving to Cornwall and packing up working for my living. I shall probably give the car to my daughter: I've bought a boat.
thallium

thanks for that. I know this is slightly off topic, but I have 2 dogs and was wondering about the cream leather - do you find it gets dirty easily and is difficult to clean? I think it looks great and makes the interior much lighter and airier. Many modern cars are coffin like inside, especially some VAG models with black headlining!

You also refer to the slightly inferior ride of your Outback. Surely the ride of the Sports Tourer is inferior to the Outback because of 45 profile tyres rather than 55 profile. I can see the 'handling' of the Outback being inferior, because of increased ride height. Did you test drive a Sports Tourer before going for the Outback?

I appreciate your comments - it is so much better getting 'real world' experiences of a car from an owner, rather than teenage scribblings following a brief test in a mag.

Cheers

HectorG
Legacy/Forester readers mpg - davros
If it is any help, Hector, I've also got two dogs and a Legacy and live on a farm (lots of mud) - although mine is black leather (2.5 Tourer), rather than the cream.

First, my dogs live in the boot - Subaru do a good dog guard that fits very easily without damaging the car. Costs about £100. Plenty of room for two Beagle-sized hounds in there. Not sure about the wisdom of having them on the back seat (rather 'shiny', I'd guess, even with restraints).

Second, my interior takes a lot of abuse from muck and boots and seems to respond well to (very rare) cleaning and polishing. Carpets seem particularly hard-wearing. I use Liquid Leather to clean / condition the seats.

But I have a friend with a Spec B (cream leather) and a Great Dane, which rapidly looks very mucky (the interior of the car, that is) in bad weather.

One thing re the Legacy and dogs. In hot weather, you need to keep the sliding blind closed on the sun roof, otherwise it can get VERY hot in the back for the dogs, even with the aircon on full blast. That glass roof is huge, so extra care also needed if you need to leave them in the car.

Having said that, that also means that the black interior doesn't feel like the inside of one of those German coffins.

Incidentally, I know of one local farmer hereabouts who has recently swapped his Landcruiser for an Outback, which must say something about its off-road potential.

I also find the low-profiles on the Tourer don't do the ride any favours, BTW.

Rgds

Davros
Exactly a week after filling my 2.5 auto Legacy Tourer, I have done exactly 180 miles to half full mark.
According to the manual this is 7.05 gallons = 25.5mpg.
The only driving I've done this week is into work and back every day which involves 4 miles of slow and busy B&A roads, about 5 miles of free flowing M/way and about 6 miles of very busy urban traffic with long periods of crawling, plus a few bits and bobs of local runs to the shops etc.

I'd describe myself as a quicker than average driver so with a lighter right foot and a more patient attitude I could probably get 27 odd if I tried.

The trip computer tells me I've achieved 29mpg over that distance which is a greater error than I thought it would be.
HectorG
Back again; I cheat with the dogs and the leather seats by which I mean I have fitted tough seat covers which are very effective but of course they negate the 'luxury' of the leather. One reason I chose the Outback instead of the tourer is the extra ground clearance, there are some terrible roads in e.g. Sheffield, Hull, Manchester not to mention leeds. As you seem interested my car is used a bit roughly, often heavily loaded, full use often made of the available power and not cleaned very often. I service it in accordance with the makers schedule with the addition of an intermediate engine oil and filter change every 5000 miles; it has not one squeak or rattle and has been totally reliable. I would definitely buy another if I was'nt heading for my second childhood with a boat and the "call of the sea" again after 25 years. Silly old sod.