How long can you drive a foreign car for - MoodyGit
How long can you drive a foreign car for before it need to be registered her in the UK?

I know a Polish lad who has lived over here for 5 or 6 years and still drives his car on Polish plates.

You can't tell me it ever gets MOTed

What are the rules?
Not that rules ever get enforced in this god forsaken clobber- the-innocent country
How long can you drive a foreign car for - Happy Blue!
I suspect that if he takes it out of the country for even one day a year, he does not need to have it MoT'd. However, I would assume that it would need some for of testing and insurance for it to remained registered in Poland.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
How long can you drive a foreign car for - Alan
Having foreign plates also means its immune from speed cameras and parking tickets, although i'm sure no one would abuse this situation.
How long can you drive a foreign car for - Lud
Sounds great. Let's all get foreign registered cars and be generally immune.
How long can you drive a foreign car for - commerdriver
OK so it's illegal to do it for more than 6 months or whatever but how likely is it that you would be stopped or otherwise caught?
How long can you drive a foreign car for - v0n
The true reason why Polish or Lithuanians, as you see way more of LT cars in UK these days, use their cars in UK is not to dodge parking tickets or congestion charges but because unreasonably high insurance. In light of EC regulations any car within community with local insurance is automatically insured TPO during travel and stay in all other members of state. So insuring Eastern European beemer or audi with few year of local no claims bonus will cost £100-150 over there or £1000-1500 to insure foreign driver with no UK NCB on similar car registered to London postcode over here. All you need is visit your country for a week every year to do MOT and renew insurance. If more of us could do it perhaps premiums would finally return to normal levels.
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
How long can you drive a foreign car for - defender
re no claims bonus ,ncb is transferable from poland to uk as I found out when sorting out insurance for a polish worker last year,all he had to do was provide official renewal notice with ncb status on it to get the same here .
Very, very few insurance companies accept NCB transfers from abroad. I should know, I'm Polish myself (although I live in UK since 1994). My favourite bit so far, in regard to insurance, was when I tried to insure my brother - 50 year old driver with 19 years of documented foreign NCB and Polish driving license to drive Japanese grey imported truck with british plates. All the calls, the details, the copies, the agents to brokers of subdivisions of representatives of insurers, the 0845s to 0870s of Indian call centres to London branches of Sheffield offices ... I think getting him a pilot license for jet fighters on the spot would of been easier.
--------------------
How long can you drive a foreign car for - defender
I only had one phone call to my local branch of insurance co and it was sorted first time ,must have been lucky I guess
How long can you drive a foreign car for - Bill Payer
Having foreign plates also means its immune from speed cameras and
parking tickets, although i'm sure no one would abuse this situation.

There was a delivery driver in Manchester who did this, but the parking enforcers now clamp foreign registered vehicles straight away.

A guy in our village drove an old Merc on foreign plates for years and he used to boast how he was immune from cameras.

I guess you'd get away with it unless/until something serious happened.
How long can you drive a foreign car for - L'escargot
Not that rules ever get enforced in this god forsaken clobber-
the-innocent country

Oh dear, you are felling hard done by!
--
L\'escargot.
How long can you drive a foreign car for - Lud
List of embassies owing parking fines the other day led by US and France if I remember right, with doughty little Nigeria still well inside the top ten...
How long can you drive a foreign car for - commerdriver
I think they drive UK registered cars possibly with diplomatic plates don't think any attempt is made to trace non UK plates.
How long can you drive a foreign car for - Bill Payer
List of embassies owing parking fines the other day led by
US and France if I remember right, with doughty little Nigeria
still well inside the top ten...

That's a bit different - they don't have to pay them.

GB probably does the same in other countries.
How long can you drive a foreign car for - Xileno {P}
Embassies don't pay tax in the country they're based in. That's why US Embassy workers are exempt from the London congestion charge. Probably to the annoyance of Red Ken but that's his tough luck.
How long can you drive a foreign car for - daveyjp
Hence why its called a Congestion 'Charge' and not a tax. It will be up to the Courts to decide if in this case a charge is indeed a tax.
> Hence why its called a Congestion 'Charge' and not a tax.

Tolls are taxes. It's not as US embassy is getting service for the "charge"... right?
--------------------
> That's a bit different - they don't have to pay them.

.. which might on occassion, much to embarrassment of a crowd, drive local idiot Mayor to apoplexic name calling tirades known to include not only diplomats but also leaders and allies of countries in question. :)
--------------------
How long can you drive a foreign car for - Thommo
Red Ken is furious the Yanks won't pay the congestion charge.

If its a tax they don't have to pay it. If its a charge for a service they do.

Would you like to argue what that services is in court?

Anyone else would just rant and rave and not actually take it to court as its an obvious loser but Kens mad enough to actually waste a couple of hundred thousand on the case and lose as lose he surely will.