BMW 318 Unused for 8mnths. Back to life? - David R
I have a BMW 318 E36 that is 11 years old, and was regularly used up until 12 months ago when it was replaced (but not sold). The MOT expired in October 05, and it has been effectively laid up on my drive, exposed to the full nasties of the British winter since then. The last time the engine was started was 6 months ago at least.

I would like to get it back on road so it can be sold, but in view of the last 8 months neglect, what do I have to do to get it up for its MOT? I don't think it will be quite as simple as a jump start.

Grateful for any thoughts

David
Unused for 8months. Back to life? - Armitage Shanks {p}
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=37
Unused for 8months. Back to life? - ffvrs
Well the most obvious concern as you quite rightly point out relates to the battery, it's more than likely flat (especially if the car had an alarm fitted). Best way forward would be to try and jump start your car off your other motor if the battery is flat. Once it's running take it for a run, help put some charge back into the battery. Worst case the battery may be too far gone and would need replacing (if it doesn't hold it's charge). PLEASE CHECK ALL OTHER ROAD WORTHY ASPECTS BEFORE GOING FOR A RUN THOUGH!

Tyres: How do they look? - 8 months is a while and they may look a bit perished but they may be ok. Check the pressure and pump them up if need be.

Exhaust: if you get the car started check for signs of extra noise. Exhausts can corrode relativley quick if left unused for a while.

Starting it up: let it run for 10mins when you finally get it to turn over, and then take it for a run. Let it warm up then take it for a short run. If anything sounds odd when starting off hang fire and get it checked out by a garage.

Paintwork : subject to Britsh weather it's going to need some TLC to get it looking tidy again. Give it a wash with a good quality wash and wax product then use a polish on the body work (Autoglym is best). I find this stuff really brings the paintwork back to life!

MOT checks quite a lot of items these days so it's really difficult (unless you are mechanically keen) to capture and test the specifics required yourself. Simple things like Windscreen wipers, bulb etc are checked on the MOT. Windscreen wipers may have perished with the weather so will need renewing.

Hope that helps.
Unused for 8months. Back to life? - blue_haddock
Things that haven't been mentioned are that the tyres may have gained a flat spot where they have been stood and more importantly the brakes will almost certainly be rusted over to a point where they will need replacing before driving it.
Unused for 8months. Back to life? - Aprilia
I wouldn't worry too much. Some car routinely spend that long sitting in a dealer's lot.

Do all your normal mechanical checks (oil, tyres, coolant etc).

You will probably need a new battery and the brake discs may be a bit corroded and/or calipers siezed. The extent of this depends on how exposed the car was. Certainly nothing should be 'terminal' though....
Unused for 8months. Back to life? - L'escargot
importantly the brakes will almost certainly be rusted over to a
point where they will need replacing before driving it.

Not necessarily. My car had done only 4000 miles from new in 16 months and the discs were well corroded, so I've no doubt it had stood idle for a long period of time ~ perhaps for as much as 12 months. I was a bit careful for the first 100 miles or so but there's never been any ptoblem with the brake performance. With use the front discs have cleaned up satisfactorily and the rears are only very slightly questionable. No flat spots on the tyres either. The car was given a standard 12 months service by the selling dealer to bring the service record up to date but that was all it got before I drove it.
--
L\'escargot.