VW Passat Crankshaft vibration pulley - bk.bas
My Passat 1.8 20V (ADR) has shed the teeth on the cambelt. I am trying to put on a new cambelt in order to do a compression test to see if any valves are bent. I cannot shift the 4 6mm hex bolts that hold the vibration damper/auxillary drive belt pulley to the crankshaft front plate. I don't want to give them too much welly in case I sheer them or round off the hex. Are there any tips or advice as to what to do, and if I do round or sheer one off what do I do next???
VW Passat Crankshaft vibration pulley - 547HEW
These bolts have to be tight to avoid shedding the pulley!

I use a new 6mm hex. socket driver, of good quality , to avoid slippage. If the hex sockets are worn, it can be possible to drive in a 1/4" hex. socket driver.

With a well fitting hex tool you should be able to apply enough torque to undo these bolts. I doubt very much that the heads will shear off. Note that on my Mk IV 1.9 PD Tdi the workshop manual says renew these bolts when re-fitting the pulley.
I'm using a 6mm hex drive on a 1/4" socket drive. It's not man enough for the job, as I can't get enough torque on it. What size drive are you using? I can try to get a 6mm on a 1/2" drive (my tools and torque wrench are all 1/2"). If not I guess I could buy a 3/8" adapter. My only concern on this was that the bolts are recessed and I thought a larger socket might foul on the inside of the pulley. I have'nt seen any 'longer bit' 6mm Hex with 1/2" drive, but then I live in Basingstoke which is devoid of good tool shops
VW Passat Crankshaft vibration pulley - Carrow
Purely out of interest, was the cambelt within the "change limit", or had it gone of the mileage specified?
The cambelt stripped a row of teeth at 70K miles, just before I was about to change it anyway at that service. The original service book stated to change at 80K, but I have mine serviced at an independant. They recommended changing at 50K, which I foolishly ignored, thinking VW might know what they were taliking about. When I went back to VW they said that they had changed the recommended interval to 60K and if I had it serviced with them I would have known this....so no comeback really
VW Passat Crankshaft vibration pulley - GGH
I had to drill the head off one crankshaft damper pulley bolt the last time I changed my AGG cambelt. I was surprised how soft the bolt was and I was luckly that I could unscrew the remaining part by hand.
I now use old inner CV bolts instead of the correct ones.
Best of luck
VW Passat Crankshaft vibration pulley - Carrow
That's bad luck bk.bas, I don't know why DVLA can't contact owners of ALL affected cars, rather than those who can afford to go to dealerships being the only ones in the know.
Luck doesn't have much to do with it.... I understand that many 1.8 VW/Audi's suffered from premature cam belt failure before VAG unofficially aknowledged there might be a problem and changed the recommended replacement from 80 to 60K. The VW garage wanted £1800 just to look at mine....I'm now doing all servicing myself, and when I change this Passat it certainly won't be for another VAG car....Volkswagen reliability & good customer service...NOT