Clio Drum Brake Judder - can it be true? - Botchit, Soddem & Leggit
Renault Clio '99 model (mk2)

OK, After a leaking master cylinder was replaced there has been a lot of judder on the rear nearside brake drum that you can feel at the pedal.

BTW: its definitely nothing to do with the disks at the front because you feel it just the same when you use the hand brake to slow the car.

Stripped it down last night and had a look myself. In the area where the pads touch the drum there is a little dark patch (scorched) about the size of a penny. Looking closely there is a little crows foot that appears to be a crack. Looking on the outside, there is evidence of a crack there too.

My guess is that somebody had smacked the drum wih a hammer or dropped it and that now I will need new drums.

The other side is fine.

I am looking for opinions now...
1) Surely it cant be easy to damage a dum like this?
2) Dealer parts are v expensive (£150 / side) where is best place to buy these?
3) What about using parts from a scrapped vehicle?
4) Given that the problem was definitely not there before , what position am I in to accuse the garage of wrecking the brakes?
Drum Brake Judder - can it be true? - steveo3002
have you tried gsf or eurocar parts for a price?

garage will prob deny it...learn from it and fix it yourself next time
Drum Brake Judder - can it be true? - Peter D
I'm confused. If you had the master cylinder changed why would the garage had touched the rear break drums. You say brake Pads do you mean brake shoes. I have seen cast drums with casting defects and soft or very porous areas. A scrap drum will be fine, just clean it up and deglaze the surface. Regards Peter
Drums are £22 for a clio but you have to fit new wheel bearings another £20 as a kit.
Drum Brake Judder - can it be true? - jc2
But only if it's round.A lot of scrap cars have been sitting with the h/brake on for ages and are well oval.
Does a Clio have a rear hub assembley or are the bearings mounted in the Drum. Not sure know. I only mentioned a scrap one before I checked the price. Cheap. Regards Peter
Drum Brake Judder - can it be true? - Botchit, Soddem & Leggit
UPDATE..

Ok, so my message was written too early this morning hence some errors.

1) said master, meant slave
2) said pads, meant shoes

Traced some sensible priced parts from Partco.

Bearing on drum I checked was lovely & smooth. Will reuse if I can.

Cheers folks...

So the rear brakes where done but they would have no need to hit the drum as the drum just pulls off. Take it back and explain. I can hear it know 'Not us Gov' must have been there before but you did'ny notice it as the shoes where oily. Regards Peter
Yes, its sad, but no matter where you go (garage wise) you seem to pay your money and take your chances...

As said above, I will be fixing it myself...
Drum Brake Judder - can it be true? - bell boy
am i reading this right?
you take car to garage to have leaking cylinder replaced?
they replace leaking cylinder but you notice judder from the back because if you pull the handrake up its the same?
you strip down the offending drum that costs £150 and find a crack in it?
you dont go back to garage but decide to use partco/brown brothers to buy a new drum and you are going to swap the bearing yourself and be dammed?
well i believe in fairies too
Drum Brake Judder - can it be true? - cheddar
>>Drums are £22 for a clio but you have to fit new wheel bearings another £20 as a kit.>>

No you dont, though you MUST change the hub nut every time you take the drum off, a hub nut is only £2 or so from a Renault dealer.

The garage will have accessed the rear brakes to bleed them after the master cylinder change though they had no need to take the drums off unless they suspected a fault.

Wife's Clio is on original shoes, measuring them with a Vernier gauge they are only slightly worn at 39k.
Gents,

My mistake, the master was not touched, it was the slaves.

Picking up the parts this afternoon - lets just hope they match up OK.

Yes, hub nuts MUST be changed when drum is removed (but I believe that many garages (& DIYers) would skip this detail.

Bearings are in in the drum. I will pull these out and reuse if I can. They should be fine after 44K and certainly feel quite smooth.

We have had the car for 18 months now and in that time the handbrake has always been poor. With this in mind I would not be surprised if the slaves had been leaking for a while and masking the drum issue.

I am still amazed that the drum had sustained this sort of damage. Once changed, I will do some experimenting on one of the old ones...
Drum Brake Judder - can it be true? - RichardW
If you get the bearings out of the drum in once piece, and manage to press them back in without a 10T press, you'll be doing well....

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Clio Drum Brake Judder - can it be true? - big davey
HI, did you find a clio drum at the right price? if not, I have 2 for sale but not sure if mk 1 & 2 are same. I think may be. my drums are £20 pair, brand new lucas make.
Cheers