Dearer fuel=buying opportunities? - legacylad
I am about to take a few years out (after 33 self employed)and consequently will be driving far fewer miles....about 8k p.a.
In addition to my trusty 8 year old VW Transporter, which I may convert into a camper, (or may sell)up until recently I have always run an estate.
My R reg GLS 2.0 Legacy,bought at 4 years old for £3.5k and sold last year for £1.9k, was my third, but I fancy something with more oomph, but similar reliability.
My only criteria are a budget of £6k ish, reasonable space & pace, and 30mpg in rural driving. I normally buy from friends or at auction, and kept over 4 years, with judicious buying, the major cost of depreciation is kept to a miniumum...I can afford £500pa.
Initial thoughts are Mondeo ST220 or Vectra 3.2 V6. Insurance in rural North Yorks is not an issue and the vehicle will be serviced by my local mechanic outside of the dealer network.
Any other suggestions for 'performance' motoring at sensible prices would be appreciated.
Dearer fuel=buying opportunities? - Adam {P}
I think you'd struggle to get a ST220 for 6 grand let alone a halfway decent one.

I know you said you fancied something with more oomph but wouldn't a 2.5 Legacy or the Twin turbo version be much quicker? I'm sure they're going really cheap now too.
Dearer fuel=buying opportunities? - Mapmaker
If you want only £500 depreciation pa then i think you're spending too much.

I find it well nigh impossible to believe that you can buy a 6k car and sell it for 4k four years later.

Trade down. Audi 90 coupe 20v c1991 for £700, quattro for a few pounds more. How much fun? I'm a firm believer that one can have much more fun at the bottom end of the market.