Insurance and buying tax disc! - Mondaywoe
I'm sure you guys already know this, but it caught me out today.

I went to the Post Office to buy a new tax disc, armed with MOT certificate (done the day before), reminder letter, and current certificate of insurance - valid until 30th of this month. I was told the insurance certificate was not acceptable because it didn't refer to the period for which the tax disc would run.

Now the insurance has been renewed, but the new certificate hasn't actually arrived, so I thought I'd get the disc while the old one was still valid. Nope! The assistant in the Post Office said that even if my current certificate had run one single day into May she could have issued the disc!

It's not disaster of course - the new certificate should arrive before the end of the week - just a nuisance.

Something to bear in mind, though.

If, however, I'd bought the disc online then presumeably I would have been OK because the new insurance would show on the computers even if I don't physically have the certificate (??)

I'll maybe do that anyway. Does anyone know if the disc arrives fairly quickly?

If I buy the disc online but it fails to arrive until after 30th April, can I continue to drive the car legally - presumeably 'displaying' the disc is what it's all about?

Graeme
Insurance and buying tax disc! - Peter D
The Post Office is correct, you do not have a valid insurance document for next month then you tax starts. You can do it online and if you are stopped with an expired tax disc you will not be charged as the date of the purchase will be established. prior to being stopped. It is a bit messy but that's how it lies right now. Regards Peter
Insurance and buying tax disc! - defender
online is the way to do it ,the disc should be with you before the end of the month if you do it today
Insurance and buying tax disc! - Hugo {P}
online is the way to do it ,the disc should be
with you before the end of the month if you do
it today

Defender,

Whilst technically I agree with you, I shy away from this system firstly because I prefer to keep my local PO running, and secondly last time I tried to use it for the Discovery the day of th budget I had problems due to the classification of the vehicle.

H
Insurance and buying tax disc! - defender
"Whilst technically I agree with you, I shy away from this system firstly because I prefer to keep my local PO running,"
Hugo if we had a local post office left I would certainly agree with you but alas that is not the case and tesco dont need any help ,never had any problems with taxing online,
Insurance and buying tax disc! - Welliesorter
I would like to renew mine on line but don't appear to have the choice: according to the web site the V11 has to have a specific code in a specific place and mine hasn't.

The solution to the original problem is to pay for six months and then renew for a year the next time. That way the insurance and tax renewal won't coincide any more. That's what I'm going to do when I traipse to the post office this week.
Insurance and buying tax disc! - 3T
There is a facility to renew without the new style application form, you need to quote the doc ref on your V5 and reg number on the website. Witchcraft happens for 30 secs , you pay , all done!
Did SWMBOs last night-didn't want the 30 min queue ,5 mile round trip and parking nightmare that is our local office
Insurance and buying tax disc! - commerdriver
Don't forget you can only renew online if you either have a new style computerised MOT or do not need an MOT.