03 Rover 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - Allie
Advice appreciated...

I have been keeping my eyes open for a reliable economical diesel run around for a while now and I spotted the above with 25,000 miles on the clock in Autotrader. It is a private seller and they are asking £4495 which seems a bit optimistic to me after looking at the valuation guides.

Are the Rover 25's ok or is there any glaring problems that I should know about?

I have a L-reg 106 1.4D at the moment and it feels like the clutch is about to go (again!) but apart from clutch problems it has always been mega reliable and I wouldn't mind something similar again - just not a Peugeot because of the weird pedal situation!

As for why it has to be a diesel, I just prefer to spend more on the car and less on the fuel... I had a 106 1.1 and put in £20 a week, a Corsa 1.0 and put in the same, a 206 2.0 HDI and put in £25 a month and the same for the 106 1.4D. For some reason I don't seem to get the book figures with a petrol? Maybe its something to do with being a woman driver...

Allie
03 ROVER 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - Thommo
Any Rover must be cheap as chips to be even considered.

This car is way over priced. £3,000 max. The seller won't like it as he will be taking a big bath but thats his problem.
03 ROVER 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - blue_haddock
The engine is quite a strong unit so you shouldn't really have any problem with that and there are loads of rover 200/25's around in breakers yards so parts shouldn't be too much of a problem either.
03 ROVER 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - 659FBE
The only problem is that the bits you want will be missing...

03 ROVER 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - madf
Depreciation will be your biggest cost. If you don't keep it for 5 years, a Rover will probably cost a lot. Imagine trying to sell a six year old Rover with 75k miles and questionable spare position...£5 becomes £1.5k...
madf
03 ROVER 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - Allie
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies - I don't know much about cars! So is the general consensus that they are reliable then? Is the parts situation really really bad? I was going to buy a warranty from Warranty Works - is it worth it?

I agree that it is over-priced. I was going to offer £3820 as this is what it said on the valuation part of What Car - I think I'd be far too embarassed to offer lower again as that will be toe curling enough but at the same time I don't want to pay for someone else's mistake...

Allie
03 ROVER 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thommo says it is overpriced at £3K and you feel bad about offering £3,800? This is a private seller; are people queuing up to buy this car? It is 'worth' what someone is prepared to pay for it. Don't pay over the odds for an old car with an on-going and probably deteriorating spares supply problem. I don't know where you live but there must be loads of cars around at about £3.5K, diesels too. I'd advise looking around some more.
03 ROVER 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - madf
Feel bad about overpaying. Feel bad about offering too much.
If What Car says £3,800 then offer no more than £3,000.
Lots of cars around.
Some sellers actually agree to low bids and expect them.

On the other hand I once sold a car for full asking price with no haggling and wished I had asked more:-(

But it's a Rover. The name itself is worth a 25% discount imo to be seen alive in one:-)

madf
03 ROVER 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - DrS
Had a Rover 25 Diesel from new, did 50,000 miles in a year.
No problems with it at all, other than three new gearboxes and two new clutches.
Very economical, though, and quite nice to drive.
03 ROVER 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - Allie
"No problems with it at all, other than three new gearboxes and two new clutches"

Oh my god!!! In one year!

Allie
03 ROVER 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - mss1tw
No problems with it at all, other than three new gearboxes
and two new clutches.

WHAT?!
03 Rover 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - Morgie
Little car, big engine therefore quick but economical. Same engine in Rover 45 capable of 0-60 in 9.8 secs but still does around 50mpg on combined run. In a 25 even quicker with mid 50s mpg easy. Also the L series 2.0 litre Diesel is the older direct injection technology and very strong although a bit harsher than the newer common rail type.
See that sounds good to me Morgie - I want something small economical and reliable and because of the whole Rover situation it has made the 25 affordable for a low mileage 3 year old car...

The only thing is I know nothing about cars and a lot of people seem to be slagging off the 25 and I don't know if the parts situation has been clarified yet (I found a discussion on the forum from last year when it all kicked off...).

They say if in doubt do nowt I suppose!

Allie
03 Rover 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - Thommo
Allie,

All situations like this provide opportunities. The uncertainty is why these cars are going so cheap.

£3,000ish for this car is about the market price and gives you cash in hand if things go pear shaped. The trouble is that the sellers are absolutely horrified at the bath they are having to take when selling them and are therefore reluctant to accept such low prices, but if they want to sell they must accept it.

No one will be beating a path to this guys door to buy this thing. If he must sell then that is what he will get. Opportunity for you, pain for him but thats life.
Thommo - it all makes sense when you say (or type!) it...

If I want it I think I will have to get a thicker skin - I'm not a natural born haggler (I think that scouse gene passed me by!)

Allie
03 Rover 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Excuse me chipping in again! You could be off the road for some part which is essential to keep the car legal or operable, but unobtainable either new or from a breaker. I recall that there has already been some problem with the supply of Rover 75 bumpers although this may have been overcome by now. This uncertainty is reflected in the 'value' of the car now, which is probably a lot less than the price that your seller wants for his car.
Chip away Armitage - at least whichever decision I make will be informed!

Car forums are never so interesting for a girl like me as when I have a 2000 word essay due in!

Allie
03 Rover 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Allie, thanks for that! I must mention that, many years ago, I was defending someone at a court martial. I made a long and obscure point of law to the court and the Judge Advocate said "Thank you Flt Lt Shanks - I am afraid that I'm none the wiser" Without thinking, and with the arrogance of youth on my side, I said "Possibly not Sir, but you are much better informed!" I got a very severe telling off behind the scenes, later. My point is that wisdom is not easy to acquire but one can rarely have too much information and in a forum like this it can be easy to come by! Please tell us what you buy and for how much!
Ha! I love that story Armitage!!! I just phoned my mum and she put me off a bit with the 'oooh I wouldn't buy a rover...'. She doesn't know why she wouldn't - she just wouldn't.

She thinks I should get a nearly new Yaris D4D like hers with a low mileage (which I would LOVE) and seems genuinely shocked that my £4500 budget would be a problem (no matter how many times we have the conversation...) Off topic but the prices being charged for the old model Yaris by Toyota dealers are criminal our local one is charging more now than before the new model came out!

Anyway, I'll let you know what I decide,

Allie
03 Rover 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - Civic8
Prices on Rovers have not dropped that much considering whats been mentioned,parts according to a mate are plentifull and not a problem,The Diesel is harder to find than the petrol at a decent price but thats because the Diesel is the most economical,far more to MPG than petrol which makes it worth buying.
would agree asking price is more than its actual worth but suspect someone will buy it for about a grand cheaper,if it does go for less I would be surprised,and except for auction they sell well..

Ps I am not a Rover lover as such,But have found over the years they can be good value for money, and excepting K series very reliable long lasting IMO.

I would expect to be jumped on now from a great number that dissagree
--
Steve
03 Rover 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - DrS
New gearboxes and clutches all done under warranty, of course: Gearbox problem manifested as a barely audible whirring noise in first only, which I mentioned to the service manager almost as a point of curiosity, rather than real concern.
Ah, yes, says he: It needs a new one.
He claims that he had never needed to replace one previously, which seemed a little strange, then, that I needed three: I don't really see how bad driving can kill a gearbox, and I'd never wrecked another one in 25 years of driving!
The clutches were down to the garage overfilling with oil at each service, which seeped through the bearing seal and contaminated the plate.
I did warn them before carrying out the second service!
03 Rover 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - Avant
Allie - you could also think about a Citroen (same engines as Peugeots, and there a lot of Citroen fans on this forum who swear by them rather than at them), or a Skoda Fabia - the diesels are noisy but otherwise excellent.

Try searching in Autotrader and see what you can find. I think personally that a Rover would be too much of a gamble, as would a Renault Clio. With both of these, one that has been looked after and properly serviced will serve you very well, but you can't guarantee that it has unless you actually know its history.

Good luck!
Thanks for all the input everyone - I'll have another look in Autotrader and sleep on it. Providing the clutch/gearbox thingy doesn't go just yet I have a few weeks to the MOT of my 106 so if I decide against the rover I still have a bit of time (hopefully!)

I'll look at the Citroen's Avant - to be honest I hadn't even considered them because all I know about French cars is people saying they are poo! However, the 106 is really economical and always starts and I loved my 206 and that was economical and reliable (despite the fact I never topped it up once in 18 months because I had never opened the handbook and didn't know I was supposed to!)so maybe a citroen would be better...

I think if I decide on the rover, bearing in mind what everyone has said, I will put in an offer of what I am willing to pay considering the risks and walk away if they say no, rather than increase the offer. The only thing is, I think they live about five minutes walk away so I may possibly have to see them again...

Sleep tight everyone!

Allie
03 Rover 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - peterb
"prices being charged for the old model Yaris by Toyota dealers are criminal"

Sticker prices in Toyota dealers are criminal. Mrsb has a Yaris and I'm always shocked at the 2nd hand prices when I take it in for a service.

However... the sticker price isn't necessarily what it sells for!
03 Rover 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - daveyK_UK
I would got for it

its worth 4 grand - because of the diesel suppliment.

the IL is decent spec - elecy sunroof, remote locks, cd.

You have no head gasket worries on the diesel - and as stated they do a good mpg.

i just seen a 03 IL 5 door 20k 1.4 in mint condition go for £3300

so to get the diesel on a £700 suppliment seems about right.

the market hasnt fallen out for the 25 or the 75.

the bargain of the range is the 45 - with some early 45's now only hitting three figures.

the 25 parts situation isnt an issue.

just make sure you dont buy the latest facelift!
03 Rover 25 2.0 TD IL ...should I? - Granny
I would rather go for either a Bora/Golf TDi or a Seat Ibiza TDi. You will be paying more for the VW but come resale time it will be easier to sell on. They are more money for a reason. Whether its reputation is deserved isn't the issue, people love 'em.
So would I but I can't afford to spend more! You should meet my mum...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - all input welcome!

Allie