Hatched markings - David Horn
Is it legal to cross into a hatched area on the road to overtake a very slow vehicle (eg tractors etc.) The area I'm thinking of is bordered by broken white lines, with the arrows in the middle. The hatched area is shortly before the road widens with a waiting area for traffic turning.
Hatched markings - Altea Ego
109: Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.

If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
If the area is marked with diagonal stripes and bordered by solid white lines, you should not enter it except in an emergency.
If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency.
Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5,9,10 & 16, MT(S)R regs 4,8,9 & 14, RTA sect 36 & TSRGD 10(1)

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hatched markings - Stuartli
The markings would appear to be there to facilitate entry to the turning area when safe to do so and I would refrain from attempting to overtake. By the way it appears it is a common situation for you...:-)

This link may cast some light on the subject for you:

tinyurl.com/ponyj
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Sadly, it is. Unfortunately, the A-road to my house runs for 8 miles and the only place where it's safe to overtake is where the road widens at the start.

You can imagine spending 8 miles stuck behind a tractor or little old lady doing 15mph...
Hatched markings - P3t3r
I beleive it is legal, but in places like this you need be careful with turning traffic etc. If it were me I may or may not enter it depending on the conditions.

If the box was a solid white line then it would be illegal to enter it.
Yeah, if it was a solid line I wouldn't consider it but because it's broken but with diagonal lines, I wasn't sure if I could enter it.

I would only enter it if I judged it to be completely safe to do so.
Hatched markings - Hamsafar
Yes it is legal, I just wish more people would read the Highway Code so that they knew this instead of sitting there like sheep to the slaughter or flashing their lights at the enlightened.
Hatched markings - Stuartli
>>Yes it is legal>>

So what excuse do you give a police officer if you hit the rear of a vehicle waiting to turn?

It's clearly a safety measure as well as indicating that you are approaching the turning area in the centre of the road.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What's for you won't pass you by
Erm. Actually, I daresay that if I hit the back of another vehicle which pulled in front of me as I was overtaking, they would be to blame. They would have to cross a dashed line to enter the waiting area, and I don't do that without checking my blindspot and mirrors.

Besides, in this particular place it's easier to cross to the opposite side of the road and give them plenty of room. It's not the road width that prohibits overtaking on this road, it's the fact that it's so bendy.
Hatched markings - Andrew-T
"I daresay that if I hit the back of another vehicle which pulled in front of me as I was overtaking, they would be to blame"

I daresay that if you hit the back of almost any vehicle, anywhere, YOU would be to blame, at least as regards getting an insurance payout [see many other threads here].
Hatched markings - Hamsafar
It is EXACTLY people like you that I'm talking about above, people who need lines to stop them going into the back of someone as they can't be bothered to look ahead.
Hatched markings - L'escargot
You can imagine spending 8 miles stuck behind a tractor or
little old lady ....

.... or a large young man.
--
L\'escargot.
Meaning? Are you calling me fat?

*Bursts into hysterical tears*.
Hatched markings - L'escargot
Meaning? Are you calling me fat?

I'm calling you prejudiced.
--
L\'escargot.
That's OK then. ;-)

Would anyone who objects to me using little old ladies as an example of slow drivers please raise their hands?
Hatched markings - Cliff Pope
It's OK by me. For balance, how about "old men in hats"?
And the tractor drivers are probably more likely to be young men than old ladies.
Hatched markings - Lud
Horn and Pope: what about 'thirty-year-old naked hermaphrodites in shades and baseball caps worn sideways'? There is no typical carp driver. All human categories contain a rich variety of appalling drivers and a few tolerable ones. That is quite simply the way it is.

Of course though we all have our favourite categories. My own prejudice is deeply hostile to the drivers of St John's Wood, mostly very well equipped car-wise but deeply stupid, unaware waddlers.
Hatched markings - greenhey
There are also hatched areas where motorway on-slips join the main carriageway . One purpose, I guess , is to ensure joining traffic merges at the optimum angle.
However just about every time I am at one of these junctions I see people frequently cross them. One of the worst examples is the slip onto the M25 anti-clock from the M40
Hatched markings - tr7v8
But the motorway ones are solid, the others being discussed aren't.