Best Replacement Exhaust?Not Performance - Ed666
As per title,

Whats the best make of standard non performance replacement exhaust for a cat back system?

The car in question is a 1.6 16v Clio X reg

I have looked at Timax Bosal etc

Seems to be quite a difference in price, (not fitted, on a mail order basis)

Best Replacement Exhaust?Not Performance - L'escargot
It may not last as long as a stainless steel pattern part system, or be as cheap as a standard material pattern part system, but otherwise the best will be a genuine Clio part. It will fit the best, be the quietest, and will probably last longer than your average pattern part.
--
L\'escargot.
Best Replacement Exhaust?Not Performance - Roger Jones
Couldn't agree more. Stick with an OEM exhaust if you can, and push the dealer for a good discount. I went SS on my oldest car only because OEM is no longer available; even at its quietest configuration, it's distnctly noisier than it used to be.
Best Replacement Exhaust?Not Performance - defender
the cheaper end of after market exhausts are very thin and wont last long ,you will usually get what you pay for but bosal might be better than some makes
Best Replacement Exhaust?Not Performance - Altea Ego
What can i say - the snail is right.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Best Replacement Exhaust?Not Performance - Mike H
I have a 1996 Megane. Our local garage had to fit a new rear box for the MOT just under two years ago......and for financial reasons I chose the aftermarket version rather than Renault.

Then the centre section went. After this was replaced, it went back a couple of time for exhaust blows. Then it kept banging on the bodywork. Then the cat was rattling, so I needed a new cat. When they fitted that, it still blew and banged.

After this had been going on for 6-9 months, by local garaghe fitted a genuine Renault system at their expense (very fair, I thought), and I have had no problems since.

A personal illustration of why OEM is best!!
Best Replacement Exhaust?Not Performance - Statistical outlier
Couldn't agree more. I went for a cheap aftermarket exhaust for my old Xsara. a few months later, spent a fortune (okay, about £500) chasing a horrible grinding sound that eventually turned out to be the exhaust touching on a suspension crossmember. We bent it so it cleared, but all the baffles fell out fairly soon after and it needed junked anyway.

It was rubbish, cost me a fortune, blunted the cars performance (a mate had the same car, I thought there was something wrong with mine as his was faster, but new OEM exhaust cured this) and lasted about 18 months. OEM every time for me now (and I've had the same experience with cheap brake pads - now I'll always use OEM)

Gord.
Best Replacement Exhaust?Not Performance - MW
Go to Euro Car Parts and buy the best OEM exhaust they do. Fit it yourself or get a local independant to do it. The quality and weight of the products is very impressive.
Best Replacement Exhaust?Not Performance - cheddar
On wife's Clio 1.6 8v the original exhaust was one piece, it being necessary to cut it to fit a new back section, Renault Minute are normally very reasonable though in this case a local independant was much cheaper and the section they fitted seems fairly well made.
Best Replacement Exhaust?Not Performance - L'escargot
On wife's Clio 1.6 8v the original exhaust was one piece

If it's possible to fit a complete exhaust in one piece on the production line (and it usually is) then this is what the car manufacturer will do.
--
L\'escargot.