£1.5k, A4 or 323? - y2k+4
Now here's the thing. Friend loves the A4 and the 323, but which should he choose? Both 1.8's, both roughly same cost to fuel/insure.

I've heard question marks on the Audi's reliability and the 96 SE he's looking at has done 107k, while the 97 Mazda has done just 82k and we've not heard of any problems with this model. I like the looks of the Mazda, but I have to admit, the Audi interior is a good one...both are clean, tidy cars from what we saw, and have what he called critical conditioning (ac).

He's not a racer, and likes the way the both drive, though he reckons the Audi's brakes are TOO sharp (??)...while the Mazda's steering is a bit light...

So which would you choose?
£1.5k, A4 or 323? - bell boy
mazda all day if that was the only choice.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
£1.5k, A4 or 323? - y2k+4
It's not the only choice. We looked at the Citroen Xsara, various Peugeots, Renaults and Fords, but ultimately he liked these two the most...
£1.5k, A4 or 323? - Truckosaurus
Audis do have a reputation for over servoed brakes, so that is probably what your friend was meaning.

If it were me with £1,500 to spend, I'd be buying a Saab 9000, but then I'm strange. :-)
£1.5k, A4 or 323? - tunacat
Yes you are - apparently you could easily nick one, and save yourself £1500 !

£1.5k, A4 or 323? - Jonathan {p}
I take it you mean the 1.8 V6 engine in the 323. That would put a much greater smile on my face than a bland 1.8 A4.
£1.5k, A4 or 323? - Malcolm_L
Audi has a better image but Mazda has demonstrably better reliability, when you're buying a 9 year old car this is far more important than image.

323 is still a nice looking car and relatively rare and doesn't show it's age.

Mazda every time
£1.5k, A4 or 323? - Garethj
Parts prices are probably more expensive for the A4? Maybe draw up a quick list of 10 things that wear out and get a price for the lot.

I'll start you off...
Clutch
Exhaust inc. cat
CV joints
Discs
Pads
Oil filter & plugs
Aircon radiator

GSF is good for Audi parts, but worth checking.