Jag Battery - ukjohnny
HI
Son has Jaguar Soveriegn 4litre 1990.
Hes a taxi driver, so leaves Jag sometimes days before driving it again. as of late hes found the battery completely dead. He even bought a new battery, but after a few days its dead. he checked all the usual things, as lights ect, and was told by mate to check bonnet didnt touch battery on closing. all seemed ok. Then I noticed tonight that his electric arial was not retracting fully, only retracting halfway, so pushed it fully home. Do you think that this maybe the cause?? that the arial is still trying to close?
regards John
Jag Battery - kithmo
Boot light not going off used to be a common problem. Get someone to lie in the boot and shut them in to see if the light goes out.
Jag Battery - ukjohnny
Thanks for that Kith. my son not being here tonight, my wife flatly refused to go get in the boot to test it! so I have removed the bulb. will see how it goes.
Regards john
Jag Battery - Crinkly Dave
Can't get the staff nowadays
Jag Battery - paulq
just chuck her in there and go and have a nice cup of tea,just think of the peace!!!
Jag Battery - jc2
Another way to check the bootlight is to put your hand on it immediately you open the boot;if it is already hot it's been on.
Jag Battery - sierraman
The aerial is a red herring,its'power will be ignition controlled.If not boot light most likely an alternator fault.
Jag Battery - ukjohnny
Thanks guys for all your tips, I started it today and battery sounds fine..but, shall have to see later, as problem arises after a few days. wife still refuses to enter boot even during daylight hours..so she gets no easter egg this year!!
Regards John
Jag Battery - Dynamic Dave
Is it possible to drop the rear seats to see into the boot cavity?
Jag Battery - Brit_in_Germany
If you have a video camera, you could use it to check whether the light switches off.

BIG
Jag Battery - nick
Or feel if the bulb is warm when you open the boot.
Jag Battery - jc2
Which is what I said on the 9th.!!!
Jag Battery - Peter D
Yes the arial continued to draw current on that version. Later the arial relay had a time out to avoid the problem disconnect arial and check. Regards Peter
Jag Battery - nick
Which is what I said on the 9th.!!!

That'll teach me to read the whole thread first!
Jag Battery - ukjohnny
Hi Lads

Well, its been left six days now, with a fully charged battery connected. Started it this afternoon, and its perfect, battery still fully charged.
So it was, either the boot light, which i removed. Or the electric Radio arial, which i made sure was fully retracted.
So, thanks boys for the tips.
Regards Johnny