Hillman minx series 3 Radio - Minx59
I have an original hillman minx radio in my car but unfortunately it doesnt seem to work, dont really want to take it out but I do need music. If i have another stereo put in elsewhere, is it simple to convert the car to accept it(positive/negitive issues)or is there somewhere you people might know where i can pick up good old fashioned stereo that works,which wont be too expensive which i can get for my little motor (local breakers yard no good).

cheers for any help.
Hillman minx series 3 Radio - Screwloose
Minx59

If that's an original radio ['59?] is it a valve set? If so; you may have to leave it on for a few minutes to warm up before it works. [Sorry if that's Granny/eggs.] There are places that repair these old sets; have a look in a classic car mag.

Hillman minx series 3 Radio - Mondaywoe
www.davidsonelectronics.co.uk would be able to fix it for you. I know the chap well and he seldom fails to fix anything - regardless of age or type.

Having said that, your old set probably won't pick up anything other than MW/LW broadcasts, which is maybe not much in the way of entertainment these days!

A newer set could be installed, but as you realise it would be negative earth and the Hillman is probably positive earth.I remember reading in mags years ago about how to convert a car to the opposite polarity by doing something clever with the dynamo but I've forgotten!

Talking to a someone in a Hillman Owners Club would help - try a Google!

Graeme
Hillman minx series 3 Radio - Minx59
thanks to you both i will look into it.

It is a mw/lw ekco radio and your right it wouldnt pick up much.

thanks to both of you for your help.
Hillman minx series 3 Radio - bell boy
these old radios can have their internals ripped out and replaced by a modern mosfet fm system but keeping the original upfront looks,if you value the internal look of your car and dont want a garish flashing monstrosity slung under the dash then this is the way to go (not cheap but craftmanship never was ,purchase something like practical classics or google something like "retro radio old ford ")
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Hillman minx series 3 Radio - none
I've converted a couple of Morris Minors from Pos to Neg earth in the distant past. I'ts dead easy and takes about ten minutes. It causes no pemanent changes and can be reversed if ever you need to.
1/ Disconnect battery
2/ Swap coil LT leads over.
3/ Any other accessories that depend on the correct polarity should have their connections reversed (none on a moggy minor).
4/ Reconnect battery to Neg earth. It might mean swapping battery clamps around on leads.
5/ Polarise dynamo. (This is where my memory fails me a bit). The dynamo may or may not polarise itself when the engine is started. To do it manually, turn on ignition, connect D and F terminals together (on dynamo or regulator) and then flash to earth.
I'm only 99% sure of step 5 - maybe another backroomer can confirm
Hillman minx series 3 Radio - Frogeye
If I remember correctly step5/above should read "take a wire from battery positive and stroke it on the field terminal a couple of times, then reconnect the wires to the dynamo"