Does a crunch kill a gearbox? Mk3 Golf - sony
My mk3 golf regulary crunches into reverse. Not all the time, but especially when on a slight hill when I park. I get the dreaded crunch, and of course it really does sound unhealthy but I was wondering if it actually does much harm to the gearbox?
Why does it actually make that noise actually??
Many thanks
Does a crunch kill a gearbox? - trancer
Improperly adjusted clutch or worn syncros. Avoid it by putting the car in reverse before starting the car.
Does a crunch kill a gearbox? - Dynamic Dave
Why does it actually make that noise actually??

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=39...3

(also see other comments made in the thread)
Does a crunch kill a gearbox? - Roberson
Although not doing the 'box any good, as long as you don't do it too often, it should be ok. My Polo gearbox does it if I?m impatient. TIP: When wanting to engage reverse, depress and hold the clutch for a few seconds before attempting to select reverse. If you flick through the manual, I think it'll say something along these lines, mine does.
Does a crunch kill a gearbox? - Aprilia
Often slipping into first gear and THEN into reverse will eliminate this.
Does a crunch kill a gearbox? - none
Some (commercial) gearboxes have a synchro on reverse gear.
Does a crunch kill a gearbox? - Aprilia
Some car gearboxes have synchro on reverse.
Does a crunch kill a gearbox? Mk3 Golf - L'escargot
It crunches when one gearwheel is rotating and the other (which you are trying to mesh with it) is stationary. If you depress the clutch pedal and wait for the input bit of the gearbox to become stationary it can't crunch. It will only crunch if the output part is stationary (i.e. when the car is stationary) and the input bit is moving, or vice versa ~ for example, you can get a crunch if the car is moving forward when you try and engage reverse. I would think that either you don't allow enough time or the clutch doesn't disengage completely.
--
L\'escargot.
Does a crunch kill a gearbox? Mk3 Golf - L'escargot
My mk3 golf regulary crunches into reverse. Not all the time,
but especially when on a slight hill when I park. I
get the dreaded crunch, and of course it really does sound
unhealthy but I was wondering if it actually does much harm
to the gearbox?

Crunching gears wears off bits of metal, so you get whatever effect wearing the parts makes and also the swarf produced won't do the rest of the gearbox any good.
--
L\'escargot.