Avoiding Pothole damage - type's'
Just saw this advice on Canadiandriver.com for avoiding damage when hitting potholes.
I thought it worth sharing with condition of UK roads especially after winter. Apparently it originates from Ford.

Pay attention to tire pressure. Keeping tire pressure at the manufacturer's recommendation will help protect your vehicle's wheels and tires from being damaged by potholes. Tire pressure varies from vehicle to vehicle and from season to season.

If safe, don't swerve to avoid potholes. Swerving can create a situation where the front wheel and tire on the car can hit the edge of the pothole at an obtuse angle, which might do more damage than hitting it squarely.

If safe, don't brake for a pothole. Heavy braking compresses the front suspension of the car and will have a tendency to force the tire and wheel down fully into the pothole, potentially causing greater damage.

Reduce speed if you feel a sudden vibration or ride disturbance. If you can't avoid the pothole and suspect your tire or vehicle has been damaged from it, immediately reduce your speed. Drive with caution until you can safely pull off the road to check for damage.
If you do get a flat, drive slowly to the closest safe area out of the way of traffic. While this may further damage the tire, it is not as important as your safety.

Avoiding Pothole damage - Thommo
Avoiding potholes in/around Guildford is impossible. Blew a tyre by hitting a pothole on the A3. Layby 5 miles away could not stop on this seriously dangerous stretch of the A3. Shredded the tyre but managed to save the wheel.
Avoiding Pothole damage - David Horn
Hill near my house has deteriorated to such an extent that even at 10mph the ABS is running most of the way down as the car bounces through potholes under heavy braking. (It's a veeerrryyy steep hill).
Avoiding Pothole damage - Stuartli
>>that even at 10mph the ABS is running most of the way down as the car bounces through potholes under heavy braking. (It's a veeerrryyy steep hill).>>

You've not got a gearbox in your car then?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
It's my dad's and it's automatic and heavy. Mine is OK as I creep down in 1st gear.
Avoiding Pothole damage - Stuartli
>>It's my dad's and it's automatic and heavy>>

Are you sure that you can't use it manually?

I once surprised an S-Class owning friend (he has had several of them) by pointing out that the gearbox could be used manually.

He'd never had an inkling that it was possible.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
It is possible, but it's a road that can be driven quite fast and you only need to slow down for the pot-holey bit. And I'd forget and end up wondering why it won't change up out of first. Also, I don't drive it enough to warrant remembering!
Avoiding Pothole damage - turbo11
Thommo.Hope you send the bill to the Highways agency/Surrey council.
Avoiding Pothole damage - Tomo
Away back when I had my cart sprung Lagonda it was best to be going very smartly, so that a wheel had no time to drop in. It also helped to have the Andre shock absorbers done up tight, which was best for cornering anyway.

Experience with Toad the Supra indicates that the principle is still good.

These blasted anti-motoring humps are another problem, and it is as well Toad is a Toyota.