Audi high idling and cutting problem. - christhedon
Hi,

I have an Audi A3 1.6 SE R reg with 90000 miles on the clock.

I was hoping you would be able to help with my current car problem. I've taken my car to three garages and got three different diagnosis. I eventually went with one (An Audi approved one) and they put the changes in and the car is no better.

My symptoms are as follows:

(Happen all intermittently)

1) The car idles at 2000 RPM (normally just below 1000RPM)

2) The car cuts out when I stop at say a traffic light and when I try to restart it it doesn't start. It turns over but doesn't seem to rev up. After a few minutes of trying the car fires up (NB I have to pump the gas peddle to get it started. Normally I don't need to do this.)

3) The car once cut out as I was driving at approx. 10 MPH. No matter how hard I pushed the accelerator peddle the car would not accelerator and the rev counter just went down to 0. I then experienced the problem of the car not starting again.

NB (1) happens more often than (2) and (2) more often than (3)

The Audi garage cleaned the throttle and replaced the o2 sensor (air mass meter) and this has not helped. Although after doing this they said the car was fixed. When I said it wasn't they started saying I also need a new ECU.

One other thing I noticed is that when the air conditioning is on the car seems to only warm up to 75-80 degrees Celsius ( on the dash gauge). It used to always go to 90 degrees Celsius after a short drive.

Another garage said it was the Lambda sensor....

Please could you let me know what you think the problem could be or what you think I should do next?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Audi high idling and cutting problem. - elekie&a/c doctor
I would suggest the next (& cheapest )thing to change is the engine coolant temp sensor.These often go out of calibration & send the wrong info to the engine Ecu,thus causing all sorts of problems with over/under fuelling & erratic idle conditions.