Driving with no tax. - norwittyoramusingname
Quick question. If I buy a car which does not have any tax but has an MOT and I have insured it, whats the legal position on driving the thing home?

Obviously in a perfect situation I would tax it straight away, but as you now have to have an MOT and insurance documents with you in order to buy a tax disc, this isn't always possible. (Insurance documents need to be sent from the insurance company).

Any ideas?

Driving with no tax. - Adam {P}
Still illegal I'm afraid.

(Awaits DVD to come and wow us with his knowledge!)
Driving with no tax. - TheOilBurner
Totally illegal, sorry.

You need to arrange the tax before collecting the vehicle. If that means waiting for the insurance to come through and buying the disc from the PO first, then that's what you have to do.

I have to admit to bending these rules myself, but wouldn't do it now because a) I'm older and wiser and b) they have camera vans around here sometimes to catch discless vehicles!!
Driving with no tax. - Peter D
Can the person/garage tax the car for you they have yhe V% and insurance, at your expense of course. Regards Peter
Driving with no tax. - Civic8
>>Can the person/garage tax the car for you they have yhe V% and insurance, at your expense of course. Regards Peter

Yes car I bought from garage did this,I paid for it mind but must have used garage insurance to do it, as I only needed to show when taking car away
--
Steve
Driving with no tax. - local yokel
As others have said, illegal. The offence is not displaying a valid tax disc.

Wait for the ins docs to arrive (they may send them recorded delivery for an extra charge (Admiral do), buy the car, take the V5 and go to the PO, and then drive the car.

I will admit that the last car I bought I drove 800m to the PO untaxed, in a rural area!
Driving with no tax. - Craig_1969
I think I am right in saying you can drive to the MOT station to get an MOT, but you must be booked in, and then return home. Without the MOT you can't get tax.
Driving with no tax. - Armitage Shanks {p}
You can drive to a test station for an MOT but it must be one for which you made an appointment - you can't just drive there on spec SFAIK
Driving with no tax. - Dwight Van Driver
To take out an Excise Licence you will need:

(1) the cars V5C,
(2) Money,
(3) Valid Insurance, and
(4) Valid Test Certificate.

It seems you have 2 - 4 but not yet (1) as your going to buy it.

So buy it. Make sure that the seller completes Section 6 of V5C (Reg Document) and Section 10 (V5C2) which should be torn out and handed to you. Then make sure that you and the seller sign the declaration at Section 8 and then seller return what is left of V5C to DVLA forthwith. If he doesn't he remains liable for any parking tickets etc. Change of ownership taken care of.

Now to tax. With the V5C2 you are now in possession of vehicle document (1) that is acceptable at Post Office along with 2 -4 to get the said Licence.

Whilst technically it is an offence to use a vehicle on a road without a current Licence this is not a 'Police' offence but one of revenue like Income Tax. If you drive the vehicle home and are stopped by BiB and in possession of all the docs to tax, as a recent purchase then he may well not take any action. If he does he will report the offence of using on a special form to DVLA. But before that form reaches DVLA you have visted the PO on arrival at home and forthwith taken out a Licence. DVLA on receipt of BiB form check their record and find......vehicle taxed which is all they are interested in.

But there is a sting in the tail as it is also a 'Police' offence of failing to display a current Licence which has no exemption or get around and lead to a FPN for IIRC £30.(no points).

Do not, if use of vehicle is made on public road this month (March), wait until the start of April to tax and fail to declare use in March otherwise a false declaration will have been made and this is treated very seriously.

dvd

Driving with no tax. - deepwith
When buying daughter's car we had the insurance cover note sent direct to garage and they taxed car for 6 months before we picked it up at about 10 a.m. That way we picked it up the day after deciding to buy.
Driving with no tax. - bell boy
bigger sting in tail is customer drives car home with no tax, has accident, insurance declared void as car not conforming to road traffic laws,the insurance companies do check these details vehemntly.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Driving with no tax. - Dwight Van Driver
>>>>>bigger sting in tail is customer drives car home with no tax, has accident, insurance declared void as car not conforming to road traffic laws,the insurance companies do check these details vehemntly.<<<<<<

Poster states he has a valid MOT so to all intents and purposes the vehicle is roadworthy until the contrary is proved.

The fact that a vehicle has no Excise Licence does not invalid the Insurance in relation to 3rd party risks. It will be in the small print of the policy just what is stated about Excise Licence.

dvd

--
Driving with no tax. - L'escargot
I will admit that the last car I bought I drove
800m to the PO untaxed, in a rural area.

That's a big rural area! Unless 800m means 800 metres, not miles.
--
L\'escargot.
Driving with no tax. - rtj70
I would not tax the car this late in the month - but this means you cannot drive it either. Assume it must be SORN at the moment.

You will pay for a full month's tax for only a few days, i.e. pay for 12 months and get only 11 months and 3 days. Better to wait until April 2nd.
Driving with no tax. - rtj70
If the car MOT is the new computerised variety, maybe you could tax online? Just a thought.

Rob
Driving with no tax. - Dynamic Dave
If the car MOT is the new computerised variety, maybe you could tax online? Just a thought.

Doesn't the renewal notice come with a unique number though? Without it you can't renew as you need to type the number into the DVLA website, unless it's changed again since last June?
Driving with no tax. - IanJohnson
Reminds me of the deal offered at a local car supermarket - they sell you the car untaxed! They will not tax it for you.

They recommend that you drive up the road in the untaxed car and tax it at the local post office. Surprised the camera van has not been out there.
Driving with no tax. - malteser
Illegal but, INMHO, not immoral - it's the tax that is immoral!

Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
Driving with no tax. - keo-the-dog
Book it in for an M.O.T. at a testing station near your home and drive it there bonus if it passes full MOT still cheap enough to get it home if it fails and legal...cheers...Keo