Which saloon is the best?
Requirements - has to be as big as possible
not more than 30k
Diesel

I have considered
A8
Phaeton
7 Series
Any other ideas? I would say S class BUT its far too indian.

The phaeton apparently is a very good car, any comments?
which large saloon? - Adam {P}
S Class.
which large saloon? - Peter S
Not quite sure what that means?? But I'd go with an A8 LWB TDI
which large saloon? - Pugugly {P}
Is a five series too small ?
which large saloon? - khizman
My dad is after a new car and those are the requirements :D
which large saloon? - Altea Ego
.**********
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
which large saloon? - cheddar
XJ8, all aluminium, trad style, state of the art tech.
which large saloon? - LeePower
What about a Peugeot 607?

Big, cheap, loads of toys & not many on the road either.
peugeot = no :p
we are after something with a little more class.
Total badge snob by the sounds of it.

Why waste all that money just on a fancy badge?
We also have a ford mondeo TDCI in the stable, which clearly shows we arent badge snobs.

I am pretty sure that a phaeton/s class/A8 will have better build quality and reliability over anything that peugeot have to offer.
At least the Mondeo has a PEUGEOT diesel engine under its bonnet.

Another person who thinks VAG cars have reliability on there side.
which large saloon? - Stuartli
>>Another person who thinks VAG cars have reliability on there (their) side.>>

Well I'm on my third VW in 15 years and not one has ever, ever let me down, broken down or been a source of concern or worry.

If I was ever given the choice of buying a VW at full price or being given a PSA product free of charge to last me right through retirement, I'd get my wallet out...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
which large saloon? - machika
Well I'm on my third VW in 15 years and not
one has ever, ever let me down, broken down or been
a source of concern or worry.
If I was ever given the choice of buying a VW
at full price or being given a PSA product free of
charge to last me right through retirement, I'd get my wallet
out...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

>>

Well, I had two Peugeot 309s over a period of seven years, and they never let me down. I then had a ZX for three and a half years that never let me down either. I now have a soon to be 12 year old Xantia which has been practically faultless. So that is 3 PSA products over a period in excess of 22 years, which have been pretty good, I would say.

Given that I am using the same criteria of reliability over many years, I think that if I was offered a the choice of a free PSA car, or having to pay for VW, I don't think the VW would get any consideration whatsoever.
yep, and the only things that go wrong on cars are the engines, anyway,
I dont know much about this peugeot/ford thing but:-
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duratorq#ZSD

"The Puma-type Duratorq was initially available as a 2.0 L turbo diesel with direct injection and a variable geometry turbine with overboost function. It was soon upgraded to common rail fuel injection, giving cleaner emissions. It features a 16-valve cylinder head with twin chain driven camshafts. This engine is used only in some Ford vehicles, and is unrelated to the PSA DW10 unit used in the Focus C-Max, Focus Mk 2 and Peugeot/Citroën vehicles."

"Applications: Engines:

* 2004?present Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 90, 90 PS (89 hp/66 kW) and 155 ft·lbf (210 N·m)
* 2004?present Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 115, 116 PS (114 hp/85 kW) and 207 ft·lbf (280 N·m)
* 2003?present Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 130, 131 PS (129 hp/95 kW) and 244 ft·lbf (330 N·m)
"
which large saloon? - Martin Devon
At least the Mondeo has a PEUGEOT diesel engine under its
bonnet.
Another person who thinks VAG cars have reliability on there side.

There?
which large saloon? - mare
I am pretty sure that a phaeton/s class/A8 will have better
build quality and reliability over anything that peugeot have to offer.

Funnily enough, i had a lift in a Peugeot 607 yesterday. Quite nice, from the back

Bit French though ;-)

Whatabout a S type Jag diesel? Are they under £30,000 yet? The Chrysler 300C would be my choice, especially as you'd have enough change for a serious holiday. Or another car. As for depreciation on the Chrysler, Hellooooo, you've got a Phaeton on the list!
which large saloon? - type's'
Leepower - I do not agree that there is a bit of badge snobbery going on here - would you really spend all that money on a P607 knowing how unreliable they are and based on all the satisfaction surveys that I have seen - you just would not spend any large sum of money on the French brands.

My advice - go for a Lexus LS or GS - all the toys - fantastic customer satisfaction - and people cannot acuse you of being a badge snob.
which large saloon? - Peter S
XJ8, all aluminium, trad style, state of the art tech.

That's a good call! Forgotten abour them, and they do an LWB too don't they?
they seem to be too expensive, we need a diesel remember,
which large saloon? - Happy Blue!
....I would say S class BUT its far too indian...?

What do you mean? Are you Indian and and don't want to have another 'me too' car?

Chrysler 300C diesel?

How many miles does your Dad do? It may be that a petrol car is better anyway for you?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
730d then - naturally.
we are pakistani, but close enough.
my dad does around 20k/year.

300C is possible but I am concerned about the depreciation on it.

which large saloon? - Sprice
Lexus LS430?
which large saloon? - Happy Blue!
300C is possible but I am concerned about the depreciation on it.

Yes, but the purchase price is so much lower than the default Audi/BMW/Merc choice that if he runs it for three years and passes it on down the family, the cost difference will be negligible.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
which large saloon? - BazzaBear {P}
Alfa 166. Has more class than all the others combined.
Problems:
If you're concerned about depreciation, it's a no-no (fantastic 2nd hand prices though)
Can't get the diesel in this country (because ARUK are stupid)
I would have said an S-Class 320 CDi but, in view of your comment, if you can find a Phaeton then you will be driving a superbly engineered - and somewhat rare in the UK - vehicle.

I believe the new A8 is a better drive than the older versions, which I found to have a somewhat hard ride and average handling.
which large saloon? - Roger Jones
Phaeton. Larger than S-Class MB and, as HJ says, "the engine creating most interest is the 5.0 litre V10 TDI which develops 313bhp and a mammoth 553lb ft (750Nm) torque". Dare to be different, and what a classy motor for the adults who can see beyond the badge. There always was an old adage about the wisdom of buying the best car from a mass-market company rather than a car from the lower ranges of an up-market producer.
Alfa 166. Has more class than all the others combined. (snort)
Problems: Its an Alfa.

Problems: Its an Alfa.<<

And?
which large saloon? - Citroënian {P}
Big & Luxury? Maybach 62.

Why the need for a diesel?

Lee -- Without bills, magazines and junk mail, there is no mail
And what?
And what's wrong with it being an Alfa?
There's a 5 litre V10 TDi on sale in Gloucester for £29k with 30k on the clock. Try the Auto Trader link.
which large saloon? - Murphy The Cat
300C is possible but I am concerned about the depreciation on
it.

hi Khizman

I know that it's early days, but a fortnight ago, my Chrysler dealer offered to buy my car back for what I paid for it - regardless of the 4000+ miles that I've put on it.

With demand FAR outstripping supply and discounts being few & far between, it may be a good buy after all (fingers crossed).

MTC
now the challenge is to find one for sale!
now the challenge is to find one for sale!

well Khizman

I've found one.

1600 miles in Midnight Blue for £25995 from a Chrysler dealer.

Am I allowed to tell you where it is ? (site rules etc)

do you want to know where it is ?

MTC
Perfectly allowed to mention it Murph.

(As long as you don't work for Chrysler!)
Perfectly allowed to mention it Murph.
(As long as you don't work for Chrysler!)

cheers Adam ( no I don't work for Chrysler )

Its at Whitehouse Chrysler Jeep at Maidstone.
& here are the details for it.
www.allapprovedcars.com/Used-Chrysler-300C-3.0TD-S...x

there seems to be a few places advertising them, but then they get kind of light on some of the details - such as colour !!!!! which makes me think that they are mabye just angling for phonecalls.

There was a place advertising 300C CRD's in stock with 10 miles on for £25750 (choice of colours), but that just seems a bit suss when the current waiting list is upto 4 months (a bit less if you're lucky).

MTC
er, yeah, please consider I am in sheffield and I dont think I will be willing to travel >200 miles,
need to find one to test first though :/
er, yeah, please consider I am in sheffield and I dont
think I will be willing to travel >200 miles,
need to find one to test first though :/

Ahh my dear Mr Khizman

you are making Murphy work hard tonight aren't you ?

OK try this one at Harrogate
www.allapprovedcars.com/CarDetails.aspx?Id=5010269...5

It's over your £30000 budget, but it does come with a DVD system, Californian wood, Uprated sound system (which is supposed to be VERY impressive), and I suspect other goodies that they couldn't get on the ad, its a demo car.
& it's black, which IMHO looks superb.

MTC
which large saloon? - Nsar
What's wrong with being Indian?
nothing, just looking like a typical one will imo make you look like a sheep he he
Chrysler 300C diesel.

Bigger than an XJ & 7 seies inside and it's similar size to an A8 & Phaeton on the outside.

£25750 OTR incl leather, Xenons, park assist, climate control, leccie seats, auto wipers, superb sound system, space, space & more space.

So big as possible - yes.
Not more than 30K, by a long way
Diesel -I'm getting 35 mpg from each tank
3 year warranty
Superb to drives as well.

MTC

which large saloon? - Kevin
At least one diesel and a few Hemis advertised in yesterdays ST motoring section.

Kevin...
is the 300C a better car than a phaeton?
they both are rare, both have big engines, the phaeton seems to have more toys and a nicer looking interior and possibly better build quality??
A Chrysler? Surely not. If it were my money, there would be no contest: Phaeton. Although it is not selling well because of badge snobbery, the Phaeton is the pinnacle of the VAG product line and their build quality is second to none (I do declare that the build quality of the Audi 100 I once owned was marginally better than the MBs I've owned since). Chrysler is part of Daimler-Chrysler, and we all know about the quality and reliability of recent MBs.
A Chrysler? Surely not. If it were my money, there would
be no contest: Phaeton. Although it is not selling well because
of badge snobbery, the Phaeton is the pinnacle of the VAG
product line and their build quality is second to none (I
do declare that the build quality of the Audi 100 I
once owned was marginally better than the MBs I've owned since).
Chrysler is part of Daimler-Chrysler, and we all know about the
quality and reliability of recent MBs.

Hi Robert

I'm not going to knock the Phaeton because I don't know enough about them. However, given that they cost £20000 more than a Chrysler to start with, I think that you SHOULD expect excellant build quality.

But WOOOOOOWWWWW don't those things depreciate badly, they make a Renault Val Setis look like a good brand new buy !! I found a 2006 car with 20 miles on it that had dropped £9000 already, scary stuff.

I can only speak from my own experience. My 300C has only done 4200 miles so it is early days to talk about long term reliability - but so far it has been absolutely faultless in every category - I am very, very, impresssed. And so is my dealer, because a fortnight ago he offered to buy back my car for what I paid for it. Depreciation may rear it's ugly head in the future, but currently things look fairly positive.
& the engine makes Mr Peach, the peachy engine maker who makes peachy engines feel positively peachy abou the peach of an engine that he has produced - yep, it is that good.

Robert, you mentioned brand snobbery and that the Phaeton sales wer suffering as a result of it. I agree with you, but I think for a different reason. I think that owners must truly despair at having to tell people why they paid £45000 - £75000 for a car that most people identify as being a funny looking Passat.

MTC
which large saloon? - Martin Sweeney
?I think that owners must truly despair at having to tell people why they paid £45000 - £75000 for a car that most people identify as being a funny looking Passat.?

Reading this, I can?t believe that you?ve ever sat or been driven in a Phaeton or met an owner. Two of our directors have had Phaetons and far from despairing, both eulogized and rated it as an amazing car, matching and in some areas bettering the S-class and A8s that they?d previously had. The build quality and attention to detail in the cabin, the level of refinement on the move and the effortless performance just blew me away and reminded me that like the A8, S-Class and XJ, the Phaeton is in a totally different league to the cars that you, I, and I?d guess, most BRs drive.

I can?t claim to know what ?most people? think but IMO, the Phaeton is as a much a funny looking Passat as the S-Class is a funny looking C-class or the A8 a funny looking A4. These luxury cars clearly share styling cues with their siblings but being amongst the largest and imposing saloons on the market, one would need to know little or nothing about cars to mistake them for the smaller models.

The vast majority of this class of car are company run and the rate of depreciation of luxury cars is well-known and budgeted for. As mentioned in a recent thread, Phaeton depreciation is in the same ball park as an S500. Either a superb 2nd or 3rd private owner purchase and certainly my recommendation to the OP.
?I think that owners must truly despair at having to tell
people why they paid £45000 - £75000 for a car that
most people identify as being a funny looking Passat.?
Reading this, I can?t believe that you?ve ever sat or been
driven in a Phaeton or met an owner.

Hi Martin

you're right, I've never sat in, or been driven in a Phaeton, neither have a spoken to an owner. BUT, I also started my post by saying "I'm not going to knock the Phaeton because I don't know enough about them". phew, a lucky escape I feel.

But I have had a good look around one in a dealership, and I'll be honest enough to say that though No1 on my mind was "thats an awful lot of money for a car that looks like a Passat"

Horses for courses.

But it IS an awful lot of money for a funny looking Passat !!

MTC
What can I say? If you want a new vehicle of this calibre, and you do need to at least sit or travel in one to appreciate the car, then you've got to pay an awful lot of money for it. Even if IYO it does look like a funny looking Passat, A4 or C-class.
I doubt any private owner will be stupid enough to buy one new for 65k or whatever, most people will be buying ex demos at half that price.
I totally agree. As I've said the majority of new purchases would be company and the depreciation would not be a problem. I have to say that a good used model would leave pretty much all sub £30k new cars well in the shade. And like Stuart I think that it's the Passat that benefits from looking like a smaller, leaner Phaeton.
>>"thats an awful lot of money for a car that looks like a Passat">>

It's the other way round.

The Passent looks like a Phaeton.....:-)
which large saloon? - Chad.R
Volvo S80 D5?

OK it doesn't have the kudos of an A8/S Class/7 Series but it's understated, a lot cheaper and not that much smaller (especially inside).

Personally I'd have a hard choice choosing between a new 300C and a used Phaeton. I think the Phaeton would win on build, (future) relibility and the sheer class of the car. Though the in-yer-face'ness of the 300C is soooooooooooo appealing.
which large saloon? - Geordie1
Hi 'Khizman'...

Take a few mins to read the 205 posts in the 'Chrysler 300C' thread and you will see it is a 'no contest'.

The 300C CRD wins hands down for overall value for money and the all important unique'wow'factor will put a grin on your face that can only be surgically removed!

There is really no other car currently on this planet which has that winning formula and not forgetting it comes with the amazing Mercedes Benz 3.0 litre V6 diesel engine and superb auto 'box as standard!

Take Murphy The Cat's advice and get after those that might still be available even if it means a wee bit of travelling...it will be worth it!

No...I don't work for Chrysler...just an iminent eager owner as from 12th April.

Geordie
It also looks like it runs on Big Macs and large fries.
I take that to mean you are highly complimentary of this fine automobile.

Geordie
which large saloon? - madf
>khizman
If you love bling, I agree. A 300c is your car..

:-)
madf
>>I take that to mean you are highly complimentary of this fine automobile.<<

It also looks like you need a purple velour leisuresuit with Megane size tusch to drive one...and white trainers. Other than that, tickety boo.
So you are then ! niiiiiiice.
Have a test drive in the 300C diesel version then give us a more informed and logical response.

Honest John and other quality motoring journalists who all give it high praise in their test drive reports surely havn't got it wrong?
Cars are fashion items. Lardy Yank is not my style.
which large saloon? - Kevin
>Cars are fashion items. Lardy Yank is not my style.

That makes it a bad car?

Ever driven one?

What is *your* style?

Kevin...
No, but it does make it an ugly car.

We like different cars, so what?

which large saloon? - keo-the-dog
The 300C really is a nice car but dont get a silver one,UUGGHHH! have seen a few recently in black very very nice but in silver, well it looks like a different car and not a very nice one at that. colour can be so very important...cheers...Keo
So back to my original posts.

have you considered a Chrysler 300C.
They are a very large comfortable saloon car that is very highly specced as standard & in very very disctinctive (most people like the looks, a few don't)

With a list price of £25750 for the diesel, you could have a brand new car with a 3 year warranty with money left in the bank. It's got a 3 lt Merc V6 diesel which is as smooth as silk.

Test drive highly recommeendd

MTC
which large saloon? - apm
Skoda Superb?

--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
Skoda Superb?
--
Dr Alex Mears

>>

One HELL of a lot of money for your car.

MTC
One HELL of a lot of money for your car.
MTC

whoops car for your money !!

MTC
which large saloon? - NickS
MTC,

It seems your views have been slightly blinkered by your Yank Tank! There are other cars out there which are equally as good.

I was under the impression that the 300C is pitched to compete against the likes of E-Class and 5 Series, not 7 Series, A8 etc (as the price would reflect).

I have no doubt that it is an amazing car for the money, and i love the looks of it, but its all a bit footballer ish don't you think (Rio Fedrinand has one for a start). For an understated large saloon, for value surely a Phaeton cannot be beaten? I would personall have an A8 or a Phaeton.
which large saloon? - Dynamic Dave
I seem to recall that although the team on Top Gear thought the 300C was good value for money, they didn't rate it as there was too many American nanny state safety items built in that couldn't be disabled / overridden. eg, Traction control.
I seem to recall that although the team on Top Gear
thought the 300C was good value for money, they didn't rate
it as there was too many American nanny state safety items
built in that couldn't be disabled / overridden. eg, Traction control.

Hi DD

I remember the road test well - it was on the beach in Wales and it was great TV ! As I remember, they didn't like the suspension/handling - their car was US Spec, the cars we have over here have been tweaked for European roads - and they thought it was to soft. They grumbled about the brakes - no complaints from me so far, although I don't go beach racing in mine.
They thought that the interior wasn't to good - it is nowhere even close to an XJ, but then again it's nowhere near the price.
& they didn't like being unable to totally disenage traction control - not important to me, have you seen the size of the tyres ? anything that stops we wearing them so quickly has to be a good thing (for my wallet !).

ANNNNNNNDDD they road tested the monster HEMI, which I wouldn't like to keep going in petrol !!

MTC
Hi DD
I remember the road test well - it was on the beach in Wales and it was great TV !

Sooner have the Monaro, to be honest.
>> Hi DD
>>
>> I remember the road test well - it was on
the beach in Wales and it was great TV !
Sooner have the Monaro, to be honest.

Hi DD
I think that it was one of my favourite Top Gear tests of all time (regardless of my car being on it)

I've tried and tried to find the clip online so that I could share it with others, but the only place I can find is one that needs some fancy software to get it to run.

I can remember that Jermy Clarkson referred to the 300C HEMI as being the company car of choice for the Sopranos.

I'm sure that the Monaro is a GREAT car, but not as practical for a family man (& no diesel option either)

MTC
What software do you need Murph?

Email me if you like and I can help you out.
What software do you need Murph?
Email me if you like and I can help you out.

Thanks Adam, that may be a big help. In the ideal world I was after sending someone a link and saying have a watch of this it's great !!

The site hosting the clip is www.finalgear.com and it says that you will be directed to a site which will do the clip in "torrent" format which will require a "bittorrent" client to download it.

At this stage I thought, oh, bit more difficult than I hoped it would be !

Is that a good enough description of my query ?

Cheers

Murphy The Cat

Hi Murphy,

Yeah it does make things a little difficult but it looks like the site's been taken down anyway. When was the last time you accessed it?

Hi Adam

I last accessed finalgear about a month ago, but mininova.com who are hosting the actual file are still up and running.

The acual file is located at www.mininova.org/tor/28993 I THINK.

Does that help you at all.

MTC

p.s. and thank you for helping a complete stranger who was trying to help a complete stranger in America
Leave it with me Murph.
MTC,
It seems your views have been slightly blinkered by your Yank
Tank! There are other cars out there which are equally as
good.
I was under the impression that the 300C is pitched to
compete against the likes of E-Class and 5 Series, not 7
Series, A8 etc (as the price would reflect).
I have no doubt that it is an amazing car for
the money, and i love the looks of it, but
its all a bit footballer ish don't you think (Rio Fedrinand
has one for a start). For an understated large saloon, for
value surely a Phaeton cannot be beaten? I would personall have
an A8 or a Phaeton.

ahhrrgghh I did a long post & I lost it !
OK NickS, the abbreviated version. I've never owned a Phaeton or an A8 so I can't say how they compare, but given that they are £12000 to £18000 over Khizmans budget you are now really broadening the search.

I have been really careful not to 'knock' other cars so much as 'build up' my own.

As to where the car is being pitched, i'm a bit confused to. It's over £4000 cheaper than a similar specced 320d SE, £11000 cheaper than a 530 Dse (of the same spec) which it is larger than, and has the same (or more in the back) internal space as a 7 Series.

The footballer question is a bit odd(ish). Plenty of footballers drive Range Rovers, Jaguars, Mercs, BMW, Aston Martin, Ferraris etc, but this doesn't make them any lesser a car. I think that Mr F's car was a loaner that has now gone back (but I might be wrong).

I'm not going to do anything daft like saying that the car is the best in the world/ top uk saloon car/ unbeatable - but I do think that it is probably the best performing LARGE diesel car that you can buy in the UK today for under £26000.

MTC

p.s. A BMW salesman took my car for a run out last night - if I get the chance later on i'll tell you what he thought of it.
>Murphy The Cat
p.s. A BMW salesman took my car for a run out
last night - if I get the chance later on i'll
tell you what he thought of it.

Hi MTC

you really seem to like your 300C - now what did Mr BMW tell you ?

Ok here's the potted version, straight from the mouth of Mr BMW Salesman.
"if the biggest requirement of customers that came to see me was value for money, then I'd never sell another car again compared to this. But most of the people that I deal with aren't value for money isn't a major priority, they're prime interest is how much BMW can I get for my money/monthly leasing allowance"

Which I thought was quite apt.

MTC
"Honest John and other quality motoring journalists who all give it high praise in their test drive reports surely havn't got it wrong?"

Geordie I honestly wish you well with your new car and I?m sure that it won?t disappoint but your remarks above seem a daft way to respond to someone who doesn't like the styling. More importantly road testers, like the rest of us, have different tastes, priorities and knowledge, so to rely on their often contradictory reviews and a simple test drive would seem to be a high risk strategy for choosing a car. If you place so much stock in these reports what do you say about the many reviews which while praising the styling, the engine, the pricing and the equipment levels, go on to express concerns over the cheap quality of the interior, the ride quality, the handling, the dubious residuals, Chrysler's targeted market sector and indeed pointing out that the styling is divisive. The engine figures are very impressive and whilst on first glance I have some real worries about the quality of the interior and can understand why some folk are turned off by the image, I personally love the exterior styling. I think challenging styling in a car is better than something bland and uncontroversial. To that end I?m test driving one at the weekend and only then will I be able to make a valid comment on the engine, the ride and the interior quality.
To that end I?m test driving one
at the weekend and only then will I be able to
make a valid comment on the engine, the ride and the
interior quality.

Martin

I hope that you enjoy your test drive. There is a 300C tread running on HJ, perhaps after the weekend you could put your thoughts on there as well.

MTC
Well 'Martin Sweeney'...

Can I first of all indicate to you that I do not welcome my innocent comments being described in the category of 'daft' particularly when that uncomplimentary remark is totally unwarranted and from someone with whom I am not personally acquainted.

I am afraid that you are quoting me entirely out of context in that my comments applicable to test drive reports by motoring journalists was generalistic and not a direct response to any particular contributor on this thread relative to implied criticism on any aspect of the Chrysler 300C.

I can therefore assure you that I am not 'daft'.

With regard to my comments about motoring journalists, I was merely making the point that with regard to their test drive reports of the 300C CRD, I have not read any report that, overall, does not present the car as anything other than a remarkable car for modest financial outlay.

I certainly do not advocate, as you imply, total reliance on such reports when contemplating purchase. Now that would be 'daft'.

For your information this 'daft' person undertook considerable research into the 300C prior to purchase, including subscribing to a renowned 300C owners website forum where I gained an in-depth knowledge of the car before I even saw it in the metal.(continued)

Well 'Martin Sweeney' (continued)...

I am in total agreement with your comment that some journalists have been critical of the 300C interior; ride quality; handling and dubious residuals but in most cases there were perhaps unfair comparisons with German marques costing many thousands of pounds more.

Such comments would of course be part of the prospective purchaser equation when undertaking the 'simple test drive' as you put it.

My 'simple test drive' consisted of a drive in excess of 2 hours covering some very challenging terrain and was perhaps as vigorous as that undertaken by a motoring journalist.

I am not 'daft' enough to hand over in excess of £25K without being totally satisfied that the interior; quality of ride and handling etc were totally in accord with my requirements. I can happily report that I have absolutely no problems with any of those aspects.

With regard to residuals, that is the least of any concerns that I would have, primarily because of the limited numbers that are available. In any event I am one of those 'daft' types who keep the same car year after year in order to gain maximum value from it. Indeed, I actually ran a 'dog' of a Morris Marina from new for over 17 years! (continued)

Well 'Martin Sweeney' (continued)...

I would like to now conclude by referring to the last part of your original input viz (QUOTE) 'I'm test driving one at the weekend and only then will I be able to make a valid comment on the engine, the ride and the interior quality.'

Forgive me, but errmm isn't that very practical act the only reliable method by which you are able to assess the car or were you just being 'daft'

Enjoy your 'simple test drive' and don't do anything 'daft'.

Regards

Geordie
!
which large saloon? - Statistical outlier
I was thinking that.
Whilst I enjoyed your entertaining posts Geordie, if you?d actually read my post, you'll see that I didn?t call YOU daft, merely your response. The context and meaning for your statement was obvious, unambiguous and clearly addressed to Nsar, inferring that his opinion was most unlikely to be valid because quality motoring journalists had heaped high praise upon the car and that surely they couldn?t be wrong. Well firstly, you neglected to mention that the amongst the journalistic praise there had been a fair bit of criticism, indeed sentiments mirroring those of Nsar and secondly even if the praise had been uniformly high, why on earth would this have any bearing on Nsar?s or anybody?s opinion of the car? The answer is they didn?t, it wouldn?t and I?m afraid that?s why your response was indeed daft.

My comment about high-risk strategies wasn?t directed at you. I had no idea what research or testing you had carried out before purchasing but now I do. Re. my test drive, if I?m happy with the car, then I?ll read up on it some more, scour the sites here and in the US to see what problems if any have surfaced and then I will return to have at least 2 more drives of at least 1 day in duration. I will also test the competition to death and even after I have decided, I?ll be keeping the rose-tinted specs in the glovebox. So no, not remotely daft.

?I am in total agreement with your comment that some journalists have been critical of the 300C interior; ride quality; handling and dubious residuals but in most cases there were perhaps unfair comparisons with German marques costing many thousands of pounds more.?

You can?t have it both ways Geordie. Earlier in this thread you remarked that compared to a Phaeton, A8 or 7 series it was a ?no contest? in favour of the 300c , which raised a few eyebrows. Chrysler, rightly or wrongly, have targeted the 300C at the E-class, A6 and 5 series and as such it some, but certainly not all, of the reviews will make the comparison, though not necessarily unfairly as the interior build quality, ride and handling is fairly uniform across each range. Some reviews agree with you that the 300C shouldn?t be compared to these aforementioned cars but rather the Peugeot 607, Vel Satis, Camrys of this world. I don?t have an opinion on this as yet but I?ll have some idea after the weekend.

Cheers Murph, I?m quite looking forward to the drive after your positive comments. I drove an e-class last year with, I think, the same engine and it was very refined and powerful so it?ll be interesting to compare the two.
Cheers Murph, I?m quite looking forward to the drive after your
positive comments. I drove an e-class last year with, I think,
the same engine and it was very refined and powerful so
it?ll be interesting to compare the two.

Hi Martin

In the interests of fairness, the V6 Diesel only became available in the E Class towards the back end of 2005 & I think that it comes in 2 levels of tune 190 bhp (less than the 300C) & 224 bhp (more than the 300C. Either way, it'll be nice to do a comparison !!

I keep logging ono this thread and it's a shame that it appears to be getting a touch heated.

I can't speak for Geordie, so I can only give my own thoughts.

I think that I have possibly been blind sided by the outstanding value for money that this car hs given me. I've managed to buy one of the largest cars on the road, with an absolutley belting engine, very distintive styling (IMHO fantastic, but a few people disagree), absolute comfort, high spec and a performance / econmoy combination that I never thought that i would ever experience. And all for less than £26000 - it is a tremendous package.
It's not perfect (what car is), but the imperfections are so minor (to me) to not even count.

For a car of similar PERFORMANCE & SIZE & SPEC from Audi, BMW, Merceds, Jaguar or VW, you are talking an extra £12000 - £20000.
And that for me is the clincher.

To keep it brief, I couldn't afford any of the above cars, but a 300C does a very similar job (or better) than all of the above, but leaves me £12000 - £20000 better off, for that sort of saving I can live with tortoise shell effect door handles (which I actually like) and a dashboard that is a touch plain and carry on enjoying my motoring again for the first time in a lot of years.

I think that it is a "good show" that the 300C is even being mentioned in the same breath as these long established luxury cars. Don't forget that the other makers have had a lineage to attract owners up a class and up a class to the top model. Chrysler have had to kick in the front door and say "look at me, aren't I pretty, and you can take me home for £25750".

Perhaps instead of comparing cars by size, space & luxury, we chould be comparing then on price paid and seeing just what £25750 actually buys you. If we do do that comparison, I think that the 300C will come out very, very highly indeed (even if the door handles aren't as nice as a Range Rovers !).

Enjoy your test drive Martin at the weekend, and i hope that the dealer has a diesel - apparently the 3.5lt V6 isn't to impressive.

MTC
which large saloon? - topaktas
I've read this thread with much interest, because I DO drive a Phaeton, which I've had for nine months now. It's the 3.2 V6 petrol, so presumably disqualified from consideration, but you may be interested to know that (IMO) it is beautifully engineered, quiet and very comfortable - the adjustable suspension is a boon on our third-world roads here in Suffolk. It's big car, and its size took some getting used to after a succession of Passats, and I'm only getting 25-26 mpg - £70+ to fill up the tank also takes some getting used to! I shall keep it another 15 months and then, I'm sure, be horrified at how little it's worth, but it will have been an enjoyable two years' motoring.
I've read this thread with much interest, because I DO drive
a Phaeton, which I've had for nine months now. It's the
3.2 V6 petrol, so presumably disqualified from consideration, but you may
be interested to know that (IMO) it is beautifully engineered, quiet
and very comfortable - the adjustable suspension is a boon on
our third-world roads here in Suffolk. It's big car, and
its size took some getting used to after a succession of
Passats, and I'm only getting 25-26 mpg - £70+ to fill
up the tank also takes some getting used to! I shall
keep it another 15 months and then, I'm sure, be horrified
at how little it's worth, but it will have been an
enjoyable two years' motoring.

Hi topaktas

& no matter what it has cost you, you've enjoyed your motoring - and there's a lot to be said for that.

In 15 months time, which way will your moroting take you ?
will you stick with petrol, or will you take the diesel route?

MTC
which large saloon? - topaktas
MTC

By then my driving will be much reduced, so I may not even replace the Phaeton, and just stick with my other car (a Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit)...
MTC
By then my driving will be much reduced, so I may
not even replace the Phaeton, and just stick with my other
car (a Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit)...

and people say to ME that my 300C must be difficult to get into a supermarket car park space.

a Silver Spirit hmmmmm, if it was available with a diesel engine, it would be another option for khizman.

MTC
'Martin Sweeney'...

You made a comment that my observation was 'daft' therefore the implication is obvious and your choice of word was perhaps ill advised for use in public discussion on such an innocuous subject.

You did indeed take my comments about motoring journalists out of context. 'Nsar' made light comment about the car and the type of person who would drive it and I merely responded that he should take a test drive etc and that motoring journalists were in high praise of it etc.

I have never compared the 300C with the A8 etc as you suggest. I did post to 'Khizman' that he should read the 205 posts in the 'Chrysler 300C' thread before finalising his choice of car as there was 'no contest' when compared with other cars of similar price etc.

I am not in the habit of seeking conflict with anyone at anytime, particularly on a public website with someone who I do not know, but I do strongly object to my observations being publically described as 'daft' by someone who has misinterpreted them.

The End...PLEASE!

Geordie
The End...PLEASE!

I certainly hope so.

DD.
Murp
You could well be right about the different V as I drove a 270cdi which I think has been superceded, but was still a great engine. It is a 300CRD that I'm getting though they called to say that the Saturday test was tight due to staffing so they've offered me a proper run this afternoon, which I'm going for.

Geordie. Sure, whatever you need to tell yourself. End of.
Murp
You could well be right about the different V as I
drove a 270cdi which I think has been superceded, but was
still a great engine. It is a 300CRD that I'm getting
though they called to say that the Saturday test was tight
due to staffing so they've offered me a proper run this
afternoon, which I'm going for.
Geordie. Sure, whatever you need to tell yourself. End of.

Hi Martin

i don't know if you are a serious music buff, but if you are, when you are road testing the CRD take a favourite CD with you.

The standard Boston Acoustics aound system (which I have) is a really nice piece of work and has great sound reproduction -------but a lot of the UK dealers have specced their cars with an upgraded version (for £250) which adds a wooffie in the boot and takes the stereo pwer up from 280 watts to 380 watts. For me I'm not a big music man (plus I have a 2 year old), but for yourself (if you're into your music) it may be worth checking out.
The option (& theres only about 5 on the 300C) is referred to as & speaker Boston Acoustics woofer. I'll be honest and say that I've never experienced it, but others that have say that it is very impressive.

MTC

which large saloon? - cheddar
The standard Boston Acoustics aound system (which I have) is a really nice piece of work....

I have got Boston Acoustics PC speakers and they are great.
Murp
You could well be right about the different V as I
drove a 270cdi which I think has been superceded, but was
still a great engine. It is a 300CRD that I'm getting
though they called to say that the Saturday test was tight
due to staffing so they've offered me a proper run this
afternoon, which I'm going for.

Hi Martin

please excuse me for being nosey - but how did your test drive go ?

MTC
which large saloon? - jdelmo
I can't say which is the best in terms of drive and running but I can show you some examples.

These have already done their bit of depreciation and meet you're requirements.

I don't work for this place but they are by far the overall best in London (possibly not in the luxury secor).

www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/search3.asp?Id=277000

www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/search3.asp?Id=278060

Admittedly, neither of these meet your exact needs but register your details and you are sure to find a bargain.