Corsa 1.0 Power Issues - davidfowler2000
Right here goes...

A week or so back i took my car into a garage to find the source of a problem. The problem was that when the engine was warm / hot, there was a noticable lack of power and when pulling away from a junction, the throttle response seemed laboured ie i pressed down on the accel' pedal and nothing much happened then the whole thing lurched forward back into life. Also there was stuttering when just floating along at 30mph. When i took it into the garage, he spent the best part of 45 mins messing around with his computer talking to the ecu and fiddling with the air flow sensor. He even done 3 road tests - one with me driving and him looking at live sensor readings. The only thing that came up was a small blip of a low voltage across the air flow meter. So after being told that the new meter would be £213 + vat + fitting, i gave him the 40 odd quid for the knowledge that it MIGHT be the airflow sensor.

Next thing i done was to get a new sensor, at a proper price. Went on ebay and found a new one, brand new in box at £75 with a 30k mile Bosch warranty. Bought it and took it a friend's friend - a mechanic in a hire truck business. Started the engine and the engine light came on and stayed on. Went to take it for a drive to see if it would clear and the whole engine died just outside the forecourt of the truck place on a busy main road. Smashing. Popped the bonnet and found it was installed the wrong way so i released the clips and turned it round. Restarted the engine and the engine warning light went out. The engine ran much smoother and performance was down - i thought this was maybe just the ecu needing to adjust itself to the new sensor. Driving home from the place (a good hour or so drive) performance was down all the way, possibly due to a 40mph head wind so i didnt let it bother me but i decided to go out of my way to drive through a busy town centre to see if the stuttering was still there. Sure enough it was but much MUCH worse. After the first hesitation from the throttle, it all spiralled from there and the stuttering while at a steady speed is now happening at all speeds rather than just floating around town.

Being a year 2000, i cant get the ecu to reveal it's secrets by shorting the two pins so it'll have to go to a garage as i dont have a code reader. Could this problem just be a simple case of the computer needing reset or could it be something more sinister?

-David
Corsa 1.0 Power Issues - pmh
Will removing the battery for a time cause the ECU to reset on this car? It will then retrain itself. Worth trying before spending more money.

--

pmh (was peter)

The battery was disconnected the whole time the sensor was getting turned round and reseated and the car had the whole of 60 miles to retrain itself
Corsa 1.0 Power Issues - Screwloose
David

May not be relevant; but I've seen numerous cases of these "genuine Bosch" MAF sensors from e-bay not functioning properly on both VAG and GM cars. Many are just counterfeit fakes that hardly work at all.
Corsa 1.0 Power Issues - bell boy
well said screwloose ive read this as well especially on the bba forum its seems too good to be true to me as well, personally i would be contacting bosch as a first port of call with serial numbers and take it from there, if they are genuine then good o
we await your reply...........please,? original poster.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
I've checked up and it is genuine although it doesn't look it from looking at it. On the outside case it has the Durchfluss branding with a Bosch part number but the sensor inside is Bosch branded with serial numbers etc.

As for the car...it is performing as it was before the new sensor. This leads me to believe my problem had nothing to do with the air flow meter in the first place.