how to see if a reg is still current? - Editor
Sorry all; this must have been done to death. How can I find out if a specific registration number is still out there on a vehicle somewhere, or if it has been returned to the DVLC? I know about form v888 & the £2.50 to get the details of an active reg, but I was hoping there was a way to find out if it was still active before going that route.

Thank you all so much.
--
www.bayingbasset.com

how to see if a reg is still current? - rtj70
Guess you could register on the RAC website, then under My RAC you can do vehicle license plate lookups for nothing.

One downside is they can be slightly out of date, relying as they do, on data sent from DVLA. For example, stepson got a car at the start of the month and that owner change not on the RAC system but he has the V5 in his name.

how to see if a reg is still current? - geoff1248
If you follow the link below you can see if the vehicle is still road registered or SORNd and the service is free:
www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/index.jsp
click on the "Vehicle enquiry" arrow and off you go
how to see if a reg is still current? - Editor
thank you, but that's where I started & hence the post. The bit after 'vehicle enquiry' stipulates that you enter the make of the vehicle & gets sniffy if you leave it blank. Of course I could just start at the beginning & work my way through, but I before I start on that (this search isn't for my benefit) I thought I'd see if there was an easier way!

RAC site seems to allow you to check for free, but is as you say hopelessly behind. Besides it only say no data available in my search, which doesn't help me!

Thank you both so much for looking.
--
www.bayingbasset.com

how to see if a reg is still current? - rtj70
It's probably only weeks behind at worst though. And maybe no data means the car reg is no longer in use.

I've tried some of my first cars that were 10+ years old when I got them - and as expected there is no data on them, i.e. probably scrapped. Also just tried my first company vehicle (on an M plate) and last owner change was 20th Feb 2006 according to RAC. So not that out of date.
how to see if a reg is still current? - bell boy
do you not know someone in the trade that could do you a hpi id check? its very cheap.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
how to see if a reg is still current? - mss1tw
:^D We killed it.

Welcome to the DVLA's Vehicle Licensing Online

I am sorry the service is currently unavailable due to essential maintenance.

You can:

Try again later
OR

Apply for the tax disc or declare SORN at a licence-issuing Post Office using the reminder (Vehicle Licence Application/SORN Declaration) or the Registration Document/Certificate together with the Insurance Certificate or Cover Note, MOT Test Certificate (if applicable) and fee.

how to see if a reg is still current? - Dynamic Dave
Guess you could register on the RAC website, then under My
RAC you can do vehicle license plate lookups for nothing.

No need to register any more. Well, last time I used it anyway.
how to see if a reg is still current? - Doc
Go to the AA site tinyurl.com/ktdw6
type in just the reg number and click continue.

how to see if a reg is still current? - Bromptonaut
Still no help for whether it's current. Shows SWMBO's old BX as extant, but we scrapped it 12 months ago. Even shows a record for ANB736T - a Pug104ZS that went to the great car park in the sky c1991.
how to see if a reg is still current? - Collos25
Because its been scrapped does not mean the plates gone as well,most scrappers sell on interesting plates and log books and then of course there are the criminal element.
how to see if a reg is still current? - L'escargot
This website might be of help.
www.newreg.co.uk/index.html
--
L\'escargot.