silliest roadworks - Stargazer {P}
Sitting in rain at a temporary traffic light when I noticed that the road I was waiting on had a new surface. The roadworks were for kerb replacements, surface water drainage improvements and lighting (A361 between Swindon and Highworth near the Honda factory).

Then it clicked...the drains were the pierced kerbstones with integral drainage channels rather than cast iron inset drain covers. All well and good but the kerbs with the drains were on the higher side of the carriageway and the surface water was draining away from the kerb and pooling on the other side were it had already built up to a significant depth.

Why do we spend money on these useless repairs?

Any other examples out there?

StarGazer
silliest roadworks - mare
The pierced kerbs are called Beany Blocks. I first used them about 1991. Neat solution as they obviate the need for a separate drain buried somewhere else. More expensive than normal kerbs, but it cuts out an operation (the separate drain) and is useful where you're restricted and have nowhere to put the drain.

As for the water falling away: yeah, that sounds daft, the blocks should be on the low side. Maybe, just maybe a later phase of the roadworks involves adjusting the camber of the road?
silliest roadworks - Civic8
I think that drainage has been a problem on certain roads for some time,beany blocks mentioned are as good as main drain located further away,If they get blocked they will be useless.

ie back to square one,some roads do seem to stay clear of excess water but only time will tell due to lack of any rain to prove otherwise at least at the moment,Would expect complaints when we get a severe downpour with drains not draining
--
Steve
silliest roadworks - Pugugly {P}
Being hammered around here at the moment - end of financial year, new lamposts going in, minor surface repairs - traffic lights everywhere.