New Passat 1.6 FSI - mikeyb
Hello,

I am considering buying a new passat. I only do about 25 miles a day, and drive mostly in traffic so performance is not really a big issue hence I was considering the 1.6.

I have been looking around and cant find any specifc reviews on the 1.6 so wondered if anybody had either seen a review, or had better still driven the 1.6 and could pass comment on if the 1.6 is really just enough, or is not really man enough for the job
New Passat 1.6 FSI - Imagos
I have a 2.0 FSI Sport, i have not driven a 1.6 but my opinion of the 2.0 petrol engined Passat is not good.

Economy is poor as is engine refinement. It goes.. well the diesel feels faster too.

Forget it.. Go for a 1.9 or 2.0 diesel.

Don't get me wrong though, the Passat is otherwise a fine car.

I can give you my full roadtest if you like.
Thanks - I thought the 2.0 looked like poor consumption on paper so your comments do not surprise me. I drove an A4 2.0 FSI last week and was impressed with the performance, but did find it a bit gruff - I am assuming that its the same engine.

Yes, I would appreciate your full road test - reports by people who are living with a car are far better than ones by a journo who only has it for a day or two
Ok here goes, but remember my views are for the model 2.0 FSI Sport manual and may not apply to the model you could be after..

The exterior styling and wheels I cannot really fault. Regardless of some critisims in the backroom i believe the car is beautifully proportion in relation to the boot which is by the way huge!. The car has huge road presence, everything looks just right even down to the easy to clean alloys. In Sport guise i have the tinted rear windows.

The interior, I do have some critisms though. The recessed gauges for fuel level and water temp. do take some getting used to and the fuel gauge in particular is difficult to read. Plastic quality for the door trims is a bit on the cheapish side and staying with the doors, it's very difficult to retrieve anything from the pockets. They are very narrow and deep so next to useless. The side supports on the front seats are very intrusive when getting in or out. I predict these will wear badly in particular if they are leather when the car has racked up a reasonable mileage. I've never been a fan of the upright 'organ' pedal throttle so be aware that all Passats have these.

The radio although very easy to use and program is very bright blue at night so may get on your nerves although it can be turned down using the rheostat. I think that the sound quality too is not as good as the previous model.

The heater (2zone) again easy to operate although it seems that if it's set to anything but low the temperature is the same. (too hot)

However my main big niggle with this car is the staggeringly long time it takes to warm up, particually on cold mornings. The screen takes around 9 minutes!! to clear using heater alone on a heavy frost. This is way way above my previous car (Mondeo) which took around 2 minutes. Oh how i miss the heated screen!

Like I mention before the engines economy is poor. I've struggled to get 30mpg at any time in the 2000 odd miles i've had it. I'm averaging just 24 according to the trip computer.

Don't get me wrong though, i do like my car, i've no problems with ride, steering or handling. IMO it's biggest asset is the exterior and just a few niggles with interior. The weak point is the engine.

I would recommend one but only in diesel form.

D'oh! forgot the parking brake..

It works via a push to activate switch. Disingauges when you pull away providing you have your seatbelt on. Activates when you switch off ignition. A fantastic device!

Makes a hand operated parking brake you pull up from the floor positively prehistoric!

This is the way to go!
New Passat 1.6 FSI - TheOilBurner
Not wishing to stray off topic here, on the subject of the Passat electronic parking brake...

Recently in the town where I live it was reported that a little girl ended up in hospital when a parked car mysteriously rolled into her. There was nobody driving the car at the time.

The car in question, was of course a new Passat. Obviously the local rag and cops would not know about the new style brake and so that wasn't reported. There was just the suggestion that the driver must have left the handbrake off - which as we know, the driver has no control of this in the Passat.

That's the facts - could be a failure of this system, it certainly looks like it.

Sorry no links - it was a printed story from a couple of months back.

If I find a link for it I'll post it here.
New Passat 1.6 FSI - Union Jack
"Activates when you switch off ignition"

Imagos - Is there a failsafe solution that comes into play if one were to switch off the ignition at road speeds, as recommended as the answer to the "Stuck "go faster" pedal" thread?

Jack

PS Not asking you to experiment!
Yes, the parking brake switch can also be used as a emergency brake at any given speed. I have tried it and it is extremely brutal! Feels like you've hit a wall.
New Passat 1.6 FSI - oldgit
However my main big niggle with this car is the staggeringly
long time it takes to warm up, particually on cold mornings.
The screen takes around 9 minutes!! to clear using heater alone
on a heavy frost. This is way way above my previous
car (Mondeo) which took around 2 minutes. Oh how i miss
the heated screen!

How interesting you should mention warm up. I have a new Golf with the same engine (presumably) i.e a Golf 1.6FSI SE model. This is the first car, of the many I have owned, where I've noticed a long period of time/distance until warm air comes out of the various outlets.
Although this is my second winter in this car it is also the coldest, so far, and am aware that it is not the most pleasant place to be until I have driven at least 3 miles.

Many moons ago when I used to drive to work this would mean that 3/4 of my journey there, would indeed be a cold experience.

Thank goodness I did not have such a car in the winter of 1963 et.al.
New Passat 1.6 FSI - Gromit {P}
If you want a 1.6 and a VW, but aren't covering long distances, would you consider the new Jetta instead?

The styling is close to the Passat, HJ's road-test suggest the front seat and boot space are as good, and being lighter the 1.6 should suit it better.

Regards,
- Gromit
Good point - I will review the jetta to, but liked the size of the passat. Another plus point for the passat is that there is the option of two integrated child seats in the back - this could be useful when my other half calls me and asks me to pick the kids up at short notice
New Passat 1.6 FSI - Dr Rubber
I have not driven a 1.6 Passat, but I can compare a 1.6FSI and 1.9TDI Touran.

The 1.6 was quiet, and fine most of the time. It did need 98RON fuel to work best, and struggled when the car was loaded. MPG varied between 30 round town, and 40 on a long trip. The engine also needs to be kept above 3000rpm for any performance.

My current 1.9TDI is noisier, slighly slower, but much more suited to the Touran. It does not care how loaded the car is, and cruises easily in excess of the UK limit. MPG varies between 40 round town and 50 when taking it steady.

2.0 FSI's are quick, but thirsty. 2.0TDI's are also very quick, and slightly more thirsty round town than my 1.9.

As for heater output, the new diesels heat-up quicker than the petrols, but only due to the auxillary heater fitted to the diesel Tourans.

HTH
Joe
New Passat 1.6 FSI - Stuartli
I have a 1.6 petrol Bora - I would think that the larger Passat would feel a bit weak at the knees with this engine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by