BMW Steptronic Gearbox - Mr Hula
Can someone answer a question on the "manual" function of the BMW Steptronic gearbox?

In auto it is nice and smooth, but does tend to change up a little too quickly. I have a 3L diesel so it's nice to keep it down for a bit more fun.

In sport mode it also seems to change up a little too quickly, so I thought I'd give the "manual" a quick bash. The problem is that I am so used to the auto that I tend to forget to move the gear stick occasionally. However, it doesn't seem to matter.

As I pull up to a junction, if I forget, the box changes down for me. As I pull off and the revs climb, it changes up again. Pretty much in the same way as when in normal auto mode, except it seems to hold on to the lower gear a little longer and so gives that extra bit of oompf as it takes off.

I don't want to keep on doing that if I am going to kill the box, but it does seem to have the effect I like. I know the fix for this is to stop being lazy or forgetful and to drive it in manual and remember to use the stick. However, I just wondered if anyone had any idea if you are likely to damage anything driving it as an auto when in manual or if it is intended to do it anyway?

Any thoughts much appreciated. Many thanks.
BMW Steptronic Gearbox - cheddar
The idea of the manual change is that you do it yourself however to avoid over revving the engine it will change up itself if you do not, likewise if you do not change down when required the box wil take over. Sport mode should give a similar effect without relying on the fail safes, foot buried in the carpet in Sport and it should change at a similar point to the max revs in manual.
BMW Steptronic Gearbox - Mr Hula
Hi Cheddar,

Thanks for that. I'd read somewhere that the Sport should change at max revs but it just seems to change over so quickly. I'll have to get it on a decent straight and try it out a few more times. I think some of it may be that it is a very different beastie from my 318 auto. You really had to give that some hoof before it would move off. Lifting off the pedal was almost as good as hitting the brakes.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Have a good one.