Chunnel to Brive (Dordogne) - hypocrite
We are going down to the Dordogne this year.

Sadly we have to travel on the last weekend in July so the roads will be quite busy. Because of the number of sailings we won't be using Speedferries but the Chunnel (affordable with Tesco Vouchers). Conventional ferries are too slow/delayed at peak times. We will be travelling across at about 11:00 Friday to arrive 16:00 Saturday (after Supermarket stop).

We will be doing an overnight stop. In previous years we have stopped off at Le Mans (slow bits before now autoroute hopefully) and now nearly all autoroute to Limoges down. We have also stopped off at Orleans (too near on the way back) and spent hours running through Evreux and Dreux going down. I don't want to drive through Paris. I'm not sure that even the Peripherique is a good idea so we have gone via Rouen.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks,

Simon

Chunnel to Brive (Dordogne) - Armitage Shanks {p}
www.viamichelin.com is very good and gives printable directions which actually include copies of the traffic signs you will see at autoroute exits etc.
Chunnel to Brive (Dordogne) - Robbie
This is from the reply that I gave to another post further down, and the route I would use from Calais. The new section of the A28 from Rouen to Tours is now fully open, so it's almost all autoroute from Calais, apart from the journey from past Tours to near Chateauroux on the N143.

Best route would be from Calais to Rouen via A16 and A28 to Rouen. Around Rouen to re-join the A28 to Tours, and then A10 for a short distance to N143, and to junction 13 of the A20 near Chateauroux. There are two junctions for Brive - north and south - so check which exit you want.

I travel past Brive on the A20 to my home in France twice a year. If you want any more info let me know.
Thanks for the suggestion of viamichellin - that tends to put me too near Paris, though I will use it for some of the planning once I've set the way ponts to get the route I want.

Robbie,

Thanks for the help. I'd read that post and wasn't sure if going furter west then cutting east along the new A89 would make a difference. I think we'll probably go the way you suggested rather than Evreux, Dreux and Orleans. We'll probably stop at Le Mans on the way down and north of there (nearer the Chunnel) on the way back unless you have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Simon
I usually go via Evreux, Dreux and Chartres to the A10/A75/A20. Now that the A28 has opened I shall be using that route. I've heard from others that it is much quicker. The N143 can be a bind, but on balance is preferable to the journey on the N154 around Chartres and on to the A10.

I'm going over there on 23rd April and coming back on 10th July, so I'll post about the route. I get off the A20 at Junction 55, Souillac.
Chunnel to Brive (Dordogne) - Big John
I also have used the N154 Chartres route many times. I would be interested in how the A28/N143 goes. However the N154 seems to have more dual carriageway every time I use it, I just hate the numerous roundabouts at Chartres.
Chunnel to Brive (Dordogne) - pmh
< I just hate the numerous roundabouts at Chartres.>

So do I! so just head straight for the cathedral as soon as you see it and then follow the the signs for Orleans! It is shorter and whilst I have never done it at 08.00, 12.00 or 17.30 it has taken only a little longer than the circuitous route.

--

pmh (was peter)

Robbie,

Did you go that route? We'll be going shortly so we are just doing the final route planning.

Thanks,

Simon
Chunnel to Brive (Dordogne) - PR {P}
I recently travelled down near Tours from Calais via Rouen. All very good, except on the way back, coming up to Rouen, we were delayed for 35 minutes at the Peage barrier, because they've only got one toll booth. (there are 3 lanes through, one booth, one telepeage and 1 automatic credit card machine). It was a quiet saturday morning aswell so dread to think what it would be like if it ever got busy. (For the record only have a debit card and didn't want to risk it!)
No, I went via Evreux, Dreux and Chartres which I think you will find is a better route.

The N 143 from Tours to Chateauroux can be dreadful so I decided not to chance it. The N 154 has been improved further since last October, when I travelled home, so you shouldn't have much of a problem. Beware of travelling through Chartres, as opposed to going around, as they are doing some work in the centre. Unless anyone has been through in the past two weeks and knows better.

Ask Honest John

Value my car