broken bonnet release - daltonman
Hi,

having problems opening the bonnet on my 2001 Rover 75.
It seems the bonnet cable has stretched & no amount of tugging on the cable (with pliers etc) will release the bonnet.

I've tried getting to the actual release mechanism itself by getting underneath the car & reaching up behind the front bumper, but cannot get to the mechanism.

Other than by destroying the front grille (which will 'hopefully'(!!) gain me access to the release mechanism), can anyone think of another way to open the bonnet?

Many thanks,
daltonman

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 12/01/2008 at 20:48

Top Reply

rover 75 bonnet release - Happy_Jack

You don't need to cut anything or remove the wheel or wheel arch liner. Turn the steering as far to the left as you can and reach inside the small inspection hatch at the top of the wheel arch liner. Use a torch so you can see what you're doing. You can push the neck of the washer bottle up and off to give yourself more room. Unclip the cable junction box from the inner wing and pull it through the small hatch. Tug on the shuttle inside the junction box (plastic thing that the three cable ends go into) to pull the two cables to the latches. You shouldn't need pliers. One latch will probably pop open first then the other.

All Replies

rover 75 bonnet release - Dynamic Dave
can anyone think of another way to open the bonnet?

Get someone to gently press down on the bonnet whilst you pull the lever / cable with pliers. It may be enough to relieve some of the tension in the release mechanism.
rover 75 bonnet release - daltonman
Thanks DD - tried that one with no success.
Any other thoughts without me resorting to violence towards my car?
Daltonman
rover 75 bonnet release - Hamsafar
Did you exhaust Dynamic Dave's suggestion thoroughly?
It really is your best bet.
Is it possible to get someone to do this (with flat palms on the leading esge to avoid dents) while you pull the cable with pliars?
Good luck, anyway!
rover 75 bonnet release - elekie&a/c doctor
the bonnet release system on these is made up of 3 cables.the first cable runs from the release handle to a plastic junction box situated on the o/s/f inner wing panel by the w/wash filler neck.2 cables run from this junction box to the left & right bonnet latches.Chances are that the primary cable has stretched cos the 2 secondary cables have become partially seized.Best way to access the plastic junction box is to remove o/s/f wheel & plastic wheel arch liner & unclip the plastic junction from the body,get a pair of pliers & pull both secondary cables together.
rover 75 bonnet release - daltonman
Thanks for replies so far.

I'll try your suggestions on Thursday (next day off).
From what I've already tried, I think removing the wheel/wheel arch liner is my best bet.
I'll let you know....

Daltonman
rover 75 bonnet release - Happy_Jack

You don't need to cut anything or remove the wheel or wheel arch liner. Turn the steering as far to the left as you can and reach inside the small inspection hatch at the top of the wheel arch liner. Use a torch so you can see what you're doing. You can push the neck of the washer bottle up and off to give yourself more room. Unclip the cable junction box from the inner wing and pull it through the small hatch. Tug on the shuttle inside the junction box (plastic thing that the three cable ends go into) to pull the two cables to the latches. You shouldn't need pliers. One latch will probably pop open first then the other.

rover 75 bonnet release - painter tony

thank you Happy-jack it worked very well , followed your instuctions to the letter and now the bonnet is open, no damage no fuss didnt even have to jack up the car. So Thanks again. painter tony

rover 75 bonnet release - Kettlehere

Thanks so much for this advice. It worked a dream. Wonderful.

rover 75 bonnet release - Taxing

Think I must be a bit thick!

I have an 03 75 1.8T Club SE and washer bottle is on the opposite side, but I can't see any junction box with 1 cable coming in and 2 coming out

Can anyone help???

rover 75 bonnet release - Taxing

Ok found it

What a nightmare to get to!

rover 75 bonnet release - webby.rover
Hi taxing, I have the same car model as you (washer bottle on oppressive side) and the same problem. I've taken the wheel and wheel arch liner off and can't seem to find the junction box. Can you guide me on to it please?
rover 75 bonnet release - bjnr0

Happy Jack saves the day ! I had borrowed my mums car to and jammed the bonnet , cured now !

Thanks again !

rover 75 bonnet release - fleckie

Hello

I wonder if anyone can give me some more clues here. I've opened the inspection hatch, and felt around inside, but I'm not really sure what exact location/shape of object to feel for. I can see what looks like the washer bottle neck, and I tried pushing it off, but it wouldn't budge, and again, I'm not sure how much force it's sensible to apply...

Is it possible to have a picture or some more specific details to help with this? I do really need to get the bonnet open!

Thanks!

rover 75 bonnet release - photon

The junction box is about 40mm x 30mm x 15mm, to find it (Not easy), slide your hand along the washer bottle neck, about halfway up there's a steel bracing piece, the box is located above that.

The junction box is fixed to the car by two plastic prongs, you need to squeeze the sides of the junction box to release it.

I couldn't move the washer bottle neck either, ended up cutting it off with a padsaw, that gave me enough room to pull the box through the inspection hatch

rover 75 bonnet release - Joesed

Thanks for the instructions got it open.

rover 75 bonnet release - madabout75s

This was a great help this morning when I couldn't open the bonnet of my 2004 75. Followed exactly the instructions and it's now open. Thanks

rover 75 bonnet release - kseries

I managed to get my Rover 75 bonnet open today following this procedure. Very helpful therefore!

One thing I additionally did that others might find helpful is removing the wash bottle filler tube. This will give you a mass of space to reach the cable connecting box and the three cables.

The tube is sealed into the bottle with two O-rings with a locating lug. The tube in my case was very stiff so try first to twist it left and right to free the gripping O-rings.

As you look at the filler tube through the wheel arch access hole, you will see a join between the wash bottle filler tube and the wash bottle. I slid a small screwdriver into the gap and twisted to ease the tube up and out of the bottle. I then progressed with larger flat-blade screwdrivers until it was free and could be pulled out through the access hole.

I was considering cutting the tube (as in another reply) but if you can simply remove the tube, the process is almost non-destructive (the plastic ended up looking a little chewed).

If I were to do it again I would have sprayed a bit of silicon spray into the join between tube and bottle to help ease it out. I reassmbled with a little silicon spray. Not too much mind, to minimise any getting into the washer fluid.

Edited by kseries on 09/11/2015 at 20:32

rover 75 bonnet release - Tony Jeffrey

Thanks for this advise. I have just followed your instructions and would like to add a couple more tips. I struggled with removing the neck of the windscreen washed reservoir but on searching through my tool box found an old Raleigh bicycle tool which had a semi-circular section at one end which fits snugly under the flange on the neck. I attached a mole grip too the other end of the Raleigh tool and with a bit of up and down levering the neck came free, no need to cut the neck. The rest was easy but I discovered the cause of my problem. The cable junction box clips had sprung slackening the cables. Having WD-40ed the bonnet release catches I secured the junction box to the inner wing with a cable tie and it all now works perfectly. Took some photos but I don't see how I can upload these onto this site?

Kind regards,

Tony

rover 75 bonnet release - Joesed

The only wires I see dont look like the cable for the bonnet. They look like electrical wires. How do I know which to pull to openbonnet.e

broken bonnet release - Garry St Ledger

i am haveing the same problem. with my rover 75. i have the grill off i have the drivers side wheel off .plastic caseing under the wheel arch.i have looked under to find the catch .and it has beten me .its a real problem..anyone have any other idears .or who might be able to show me .not much on youtube gor the 75 the cables are a comon problem.on rovers.any one have any hacks how to not have the rover cabal set up thanks