New Zafira road test - barchettaman
HJ was very impressed, I've just got two points:

1)I didn't get to drive one, just sit in it whilst Mrs Barchetta was in Babys'r'Us. The faux aluminium trim all over the centre console made for some spectacularly awful reflections up on the windscreen. Who signs that kind of design off?

2) One of the back row of seats was up, so I thought I'd give it a try. Now, I know they're designed for kiddies, but I thought I would at least be able to sit in it (enough comfort for a 10 minute journey, that kind of thing).
Absolutely no chance. I couldn't physically get in, at all. I'm 6'. Was I mistaken to think that maybe I should at least be able to get in the seat?

BTW, the new Merc R-class was on display at Frankfurt airport this morning - spectacularly nice inside, again the back row of seats only suitable for little people.
New Zafira road test - RobC
The old shape Zafira is very popular in my area for the school run. A house in my street has two on their drive.

I was never that keen on the Mk1, but the Mk 2 looks the part as I am now starting to see several on the roads.

Much better interior too.
New Zafira road test - machika
HJ, I think your figures for the 120PS automatic are awry.
New Zafira road test - BobbyG
When I was first looking at Scenics I tried the original Zafira and I knocked it back for several reasons

1. No 3 point belt in the middle row of seats and
2. The whole middle row had to push forward to allow access to the rear so everyone had to get out of their seats to facilitate this.

Hopefully these are the sort of things that have been cured with the new model.

With HJ praising the 307 SW, brings back memories of my dad's 504 Family Estate. That car cured our family's car sickness problem instantly! Probably partly due to two of us having seats in the boot rather than just sitting in the boot as we did with the Cortina Estate. Also the middle row of seats were 3 individual seats and we all felt they were so much more comfortable than the standard one piece item that the Cortina had.
It's a pity the 150PS diesel, with the auto box, isn't available in the Astra.
It is also a pity the 307 HDI doesn't come with an auto box.
New Zafira road test - cheddar
"By ?handling well? I don?t mean it gives you race-car thrills. It just does the job with aplomb, gripping where the old Zafira would have let go"

The old Zafira was a fine handler for it's type, a colleague has a new type Toyota Verso 1.6 VVT, he borrowed a 1.8 (old) Zafira while it had a minor accident repair and was astonished by the Zafira's responsive steering and punchy engine compared to the Toyota.
New Zafira road test - bikemade3
Why do people buy these cars: simple, great car if you've got children. Would i buy a new Zafira, not at £17k plus i wouldn't.
I find my model's suspension is a bit soft, even with tyre pressuures 4 PSI above recommended, but i believe that's a combination of 205/55/16 tyres and heavy diesel lump.Wonder if the 1.8 is quite as soft?
Bought mine in 2004 and to date 13K has not used any oil.
Oh if i was given a new one i'ld have it.
New Zafira road test - Statistical outlier
I had the misfortune to have to use an 04 plate 2.0 diesel Zafira for work for a few months.

I just couldn't get on with the seats - horribly uncomfortable to drive, and the engine, while powerful, was so dependant on the turbo that it felt like it was operated by remote signal. You know the sort of thing you see in films of old ships - the bridge move an indicator, then a load of men stoke fires or move valves to change the engine speed. Completely disconnected ? the throttle just becomes a mechanism for you to give a general idea of how muc power you?d like, and with the substantial lag, it all gets very irritating. It actually made driving smoothly around town difficult, as if you were accelerating v gently in a queue, the turbo would come on and you'd have to back off not to hit the car in front. Very annoying, and not something I've experienced in any other diesel, including other Vauxhall cars.

Handling though I thought was astounding considering what the car is and what it was intended for. Drove like a car. Not a very exciting car mind, but considering it's only there to let you kart kids / lots of stuff around, very impressive.

Gord.
New Zafira road test - Dr Rubber
The middle bench seat was also the reason behind me choosing a Touran over the Zafira. Looking at HJ's report, it's still a bench though.
Joe
New Zafira road test - TheOilBurner
Mate of mine with one kid and one on the way was looking at the Zafira because he often carts round his Mother who doesn't drive and his brother who doesn't own a car.

In the end, he had to dump the Zafira because he'd have to remove the child seats from the middle row to gain access to the rears - thus making the back seats unaccesible without a lot of messing about. Defeats the object really.

This may be more of an issue for the Zafira with this new legislation require booster seats for under 11s?
New Zafira road test - SpamCan61 {P}
>>In the end, he had to dump the Zafira because he'd have to remove the child seats from the middle row to gain access to the rears - thus making the back seats unaccesible without a lot of messing about. Defeats the object really.

I get round this by using the kiddie seats on the widest part of the middle row, and then folding the narrower part down when access to the rear seats is required. Alternatively slide the whole of the middle seat forward to get into the back, although this can prove unpopular if the middle row is occupied ;-)
New Zafira road test - boxsterboy
HJ, good road test. The other 7-seat diesel autos are of course the Citroen C8/Peugeot 807/Fiat Ulysee.
New Zafira road test - Victorbox
Agree good road test and I was quite surprised to see such high praise. My month old Zafira is everything I thought it would be and more. It is just so comfortable. We chose it for a variety of reasons, one being so my two children can bring at least one friend each on days out with no arguments. The rear most seats are really only going to be used for teenagers. The silver dash panels cause no real reflection problems in day to day usage.
New Zafira road test - TheOilBurner
Fair enough, a good workaround. Not sure it would have worked for them, two late 30 somethings would have been crawling through that hole to squeeze in the back seats! :)

Would have probably worked if kids has been using the back row instead...

Looks like he's getting a Honda FRV now, 6 proper seats all with door access, fundamentally a better design?
New Zafira road test - boxsterboy
Looks like he's getting a Honda FRV now, 6 proper seats
all with door access, fundamentally a better design?

No, too wide for town use, like the Multipla
New Zafira road test - AlastairW

>>
FRV doesnt feel as wide as a multipla in day to day use. My brother manages to get his into mums narrow drive without folding the mirrors, which I often have to with my Focus.
New Zafira road test - Happy Blue!
7 seater diesel auto can be had in the Hyundai Trajet. We have one and are pleased with except performance and economy are not sparkling. But it does the job and is comfortable to boot in all seats.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
New Zafira road test - RobC
HJ,

Any idea when Honda will be offering an automatic FRV.
New Zafira road test - Imagos
No coolant temperature gauge (like most Vauxhalls nowadays, WHY?) and a flimsy/awkward handbrake design rule it out for me.
New Zafira road test - Victorbox
"flimsy/awkward handbrake design rule it out for me." Each to his own. I'd say the new handbrake design is one of the thoughtful features that set the new Zafira apart from other MPV's.
New Zafira road test - SpamCan61 {P}
>>
>> Looks like he's getting a Honda FRV now, 6 proper
seats
>> all with door access, fundamentally a better design?

Yep; I liked the look of the FRV as an eventual Zafira replacement, but soon changed my mind when I stood close to one & realised how wide they are - but not wide enough to seat three adults in comfort across the three seats.

Just a different set of compromises to a Zafira IMHO.
New Zafira road test - Imagos
>>and a flimsy/awkward handbrake design rule it out for me>>

I feel like i'm driving a train with 'that' handle.

Much prefer a discreet parking brake button, like on my Passat.

Simular irritant in the Zafira too (indicator lever), why reinvent something that doesn't need reinventing?

But that's been done to death in here.