The New Honda Civic - jayboy
Hi all

I am interested in buying the new Honda Civic 2.2 diesel, and was wondering if anyone here had driven one.

I prefer the Civic to the new Focus and Golf, but there are one or two niggles that I have noted in several reviews that I would be grateful for any views on:

1: Is the ride really firm at low speeds? ( I have a Mk1 Focus at the moment...is it firmer than this?)

2. Is visibilty all round really that bad?

3. Does this car really not need a rear wiper?

4. Does the digital display cause reflections at night that distract you, and can the speedo be obscured dangerously when driving?

5. I do not like test driving cars from dealers as I find you never really get a feel for what its like to live with the car, so would want to rent a new Civic for about a week from somewhere....any recommendations?

6. Any other comments/things I should consider with the new Civic?

Thanks
The New Honda Civic - Statistical outlier
Jayboy,

when I wanted an Accord to test drive, I got a full tank of diesel and told to go away for the day without even having to ask. I'm pretty sure if you asked you could get at least a weekend from them.

Dealer I used was Avondale Honda in Solihull, but good service seems to be the norm. I ended up buying from Francis in Leicester, and so far they've been good as well.

Good luck,

Gord.
The New Honda Civic - Rodger
Do you ever carry anyone in the back seats?
We have ruled out the civic, without even driving one, as we would not ask anyone to travel in such a claustrophobic space.
There is no view out the side window as the bodywork intrudes so far forward, i hit my head on it when i first tried to get in the back seat!
The one we saw also had black head lining which makes the impression of a cave more pronounced.
How you are supposed to reverse the car safely i do not know, rear vision is nil, no wiper and no demist elements below the spoiler. I liked the front half, high quality trim, good seats and the dash looks great to me. testers criticise the hard ride which is what the Jazz was like in its early days, not sure why Honda have trouble with this?
As you say try to get a long test drive, explain your concerns to the dealer i think you will find them very helpful.
The New Honda Civic - daveyjp
The A2 has no rear wiper. Above the spoiler no problems, but below it gets very dirty very quickly. I used to apply loads of Rainex to help keep the window clear, but in winter conditions regular cleaning was required. As for reversing the Civic, a friend test drove one and their first comment was that reversing sensors should be standard!
Do you ever carry anyone in the back seats?
We have ruled out the civic, without even driving one, as
we would not ask anyone to travel in such a claustrophobic
space.

Thanks for your interesting comments.

I have sat in one very briefly, and found the rear quite spacious and comfy, but will need to try one again to see for myself your views on the claustrophobic feel. I have a feeling you maybe right though, due to the sloping rear, and small rear windows.

Like you I found the interior at the front to be excellent, put the new Golfs interior to shame I thought.

The New Honda Civic - paulvm
I have one on loan from Honda as we are considering offering these as a company car option. I have been driving the 2.2 diesel Sport for a week and offer the following observations in answer to the original points :
1/. The ride is firm yes, but not hard or unpleasant, it certainly holds the road extremely well. A bit jittery at low speeds but rides potholes well enough.
2/. Visibility is a bit limited to the rear and rear quarters, but the door mirrors are excellent. However, that split rear window annoys me!
3/. The rear window does need a wiper and a heater for the part below the split.
4/. The digital display is first class, giving all the information you need with minimal eye movement, but there is a little reflection at night, this depends on your seating position though.
5/. The local Honda dealer was keen to organise a 7 day loan car as we are a business, so difficult to comment on how an individual might cope.
6/. The car is a major step forward for Honda and feels more advanced than most on the market. The 2.2 diesel with the 6 speed gearbox is amazing and takes diesels to another level. I suspect that Honda will address some of the shortcomings above as otherwise many buyers will be put off an otherwise excellent car.
Hope this helps!
I have one on loan from Honda as we are considering
offering these as a company car option. I have been driving
the 2.2 diesel Sport for a week and offer the following
observations in answer to the original points....

These comments have been really, really helpful.

Thanks Paul

Sounds like Honda need a rear wiper and parking sensors as standard for the inevitable facelift!
when I wanted an Accord to test drive, I got a
full tank of diesel and told to go away for the
day without even having to ask.

Thank you for the advice Gordon, I will see what my local dealer says about a week
The New Honda Civic - Dude - {P}
I started a thread about 6 weeks ago on the new Civic and the fact that at that time I had not seen a single one on the road other than dealership demonstrators.This situation has not changed in my neck of the woods !!!!

I was really looking forward to its launch, but once I sat in the vehicle and checked out that appalling visibility, I did`nt even bother to test drive it, which is such a shame as mechanically it is probably excellent.
The New Honda Civic - Happy Blue!
Saw my first one on the road yesterday evening that was not a demonstrator. Was driven by a middle aged asian man, so not the obvious purchaser Honda are seeking then!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
The New Honda Civic - caesar
I went to serpentine green shopping centre last weekend and they had a civic on show.
It really is ugly at the back. Also by the look of the people getting info on the car honda have lost the battle to move away from the older persons car.Everyone of them was over 40,most nearer retirement age!!
The New Honda Civic - Big John
Looks like now I'm over 40 I have now been branded an "older" person - thanks. Although now that we will have to work till we are 75 I suppose I'm not nearer retirement age.
The New Honda Civic - JH
I've seen none until yesterday andd then three in one day!
JH
The New Honda Civic - oldgit
Hi all
I am interested in buying the new Honda Civic 2.2 diesel,
and was wondering if anyone here had driven one.
I prefer the Civic to the new Focus and Golf, but
Thanks

In view of the comments here and in a past thread regarding the new Civic, I really would reconsider your dislike of the Golf or the new Focus (come to that). Personally, I have the new Golf and think that it's a superb car although the front interior trim may be open to some criticism (I can't see it however). Everything is put together very well and oozes quality and there is good vision and space aplenty. Only fly in the ointment seems to be VW dealerships.
Try not to be so blinkered, perhaps, and go out in the Golf (if they'll let you!)

Oldgit

I currently have a Focus which I cannot fault at all, but just fancy a change.

And the Golf maybe all of the things you say, but it does feel significantly cheaper than the Mk4, and is way, way overpriced for what it is....and its a bit dull IMO
The New Honda Civic - Rodger
Feb edition of What Car results of its group test were 1 Octavia, 2 golf, 3 focus,4 civic.
Depends if you agree with their priorities of course.
For me the interior of the car is much more important than the exterior; thats what i will sit looking at for the next 5 to 10 years. I hate the Octavia seat cloth and the Golf interior is so grim.(Millions of others disagree of course). In fact it seems to me the interior of most cars in this class is where the price cutting comes. So i like the Civic(front half only) but would want a lighter interior. (New Passat has a great interior and seats so that is my current benchmark just cant afford one yet)
If you like the Focus they are so well priced(brokers, pre-reg etc) cannot see how you would want to pay so much for a Civic or Golf just for the change. Know how you feel but my pocket would over-rule my desire for change.
When i was in the showroom a guy about 30yo was looking at buying a top spec Civic against a used BMW so perhaps the marketing people have got it right???
The New Honda Civic - paulvm
As stated in my earlier post I have had a Civic 2.2 diesel Sport on loan for a week and it has shattered my image of this car! I cannot get over the power throughout the range and it could become a real Q car. The oldies strike back! Look out you souped up Novas, the flat cap is the new baseball cap.
The New Honda Civic - Halmer
I'm currently thinking of buying an Accord at the moment and came across the new Civic in the flesh for the first time last weekend.

I thought that it was the ugliest mainstream car I had seen for along time.
The New Honda Civic - Perturbed
I was looking at the Golf TDi or a Civic CTDi and as soon as the missus saw it, it had to be the Civic. I've driven both and they are both excellent cars. For me, the Civic was different from the norm, and I ended up buying the Civic 2.2 diesel EX. I haven't taken delivery yet, but in my test drives it was just fine. Sure, it has its faults, but what the hell, it's a good motor none the less. For the same money, the Civic has loads more toys on it!

The New Honda Civic - Xileno {P}
It's the only Honda this side of a NSX that I would buy. Good work Honda.
One man's meat is another man's poison.

What on earth are those sticky out light things at the back for?
"What on earth are those sticky out light things at the back for?"

To hang one's flat cap on?
The New Honda Civic - Altea Ego
One man's meat is another man's poison.
What on earth are those sticky out light things at the
back for?

You cant expect a man who has never made his traction control light to flash to ever understand....;)
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The New Honda Civic - wantone
The new civic looks tacky and will date quickly.
Still an oap mobile as well, so oldies will love it thinking their going radicle.
The New Honda Civic - Sprice
Unusually, I thought it was one of those cars that looked better in the photos than in the metal. I agree, I think it will date quickly.
The New Honda Civic - oldgit
Unusually, I thought it was one of those cars that looked
better in the photos than in the metal. I agree, I
think it will date quickly.

Remember the Fiat Multipla? Now there was a pretty car!!!!!!!
The New Honda Civic - wantone
Remember the Fiat Multipla? Now there was a pretty car!!!!!!!

Oh yes, another stunning car just like the civic!!
How could anybody buy that beast?

There is an old saying that the proof of the pudding is in the eating, which was totally the case in H.J`s road test review when H.J`s friend George declined to even drive the vehicle.!!!!!

Definitely not what Honda intended when they embarked on such a radical design, but omitted in their blueprint the absolute necessity for good driver vision!!!!!!
The New Honda Civic - henry k
Some pics of the best version? - 4 doors

tinyurl.com/el9w4

Looks even worse! Too 'Americanised'
The New Honda Civic - AlanGowdy
I saw pics of the proposed Type R in Auto Express and it look the part, especially in the bright yellow paint (hooray for a proper strong colour). Being a dieselhead myself I'd certainly be interested in the 2.2 as Honda diesels appear to be among the best available. I'm in no hurry though as I'm not planning on changing car until late 2007 / early 2008. By then the all-new SEAT Ibiza should be on sale and I'll be disappointed if the diesel Cupra doesn't better 7 seconds for the 0-60 dash.
The New Honda Civic - Perturbed
There is an old saying that the proof of the pudding
is in the eating, which was totally the case in H.J`s
road test review when H.J`s friend George declined to even drive
the vehicle.!!!!!
Definitely not what Honda intended when they embarked on such a
radical design, but omitted in their blueprint the absolute necessity for
good driver vision!!!!!!

You neglect to say that the car George declined to drive was the diesel, which HJ went on to say was a good drive and superior to the petrol.

>>>>>You neglect to say that the car George declined to drive was the diesel, which HJ went on to say was a good drive and superior to the petrol.>>>>>

The whole point I was trying to make was that irrespective of what engine powered the car, George declined to drive because he was outside his comfort zone over the appalling visibility.!!!!

I had another look at the Accord yesterday so took the chance to sit in the Civic again.

I thought that the dashboard area was plain gruesome to be honest. As they say there are those who have class (Golf) and those that don't (Civic). It's not for me although I can understnd why others may wish to have one.

Having said that I once bought a new Fiat Tipo
The New Honda Civic - NowWheels
What was wrong with the FIAT Teapot? Widest back seat in
the class. First car in its class to be electro
galvanised. Staggering value for money. I used to do very well
selling ex-rental Tipos.

Only rode in one once and never drove one, but I thought that in terms of comfort it was streets ahead of anything else at the time.
Off topic I know, but have any other cars had illuminated stalks like the Tipo?
Does anyone know what Honda's HID headlights are?

Are they Hondas version of xenons or something?
Like it or not, (and I did, now I dont know) there have not been many cars that galvanise opinion one way or the other quite so strongly.
Any mention on here will raise the half century in posts in no time, talk to anyone (even my wife) and they will have noticed it and have an opinion.

Even if it flops, its pushed Honda into everyones thinking when it comes to exciting cars (even if the civic is not actually that exciting to drive)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The New Honda Civic - Woody
I visited my parents this morning and when moving to the subject of cars they exclaimed "have you seen the new Honda!?". There was one in The Belfry Shopping Centre, Redhill yesterday, in silver and they thought it was "Wonderful. Why don't you get one?"

Mother would happily trade in the 4 year old Corolla but father is more cautious.

Having seen one passing a showroom, but yet to see one on the road, I must say the front does look quite stunning, but the rest of it, on paper, looks weird.

I still think Honda will catch a massive crab with this one.

The New Honda Civic - Lud
>> What was wrong with the FIAT Teapot? Widest back seat
in
>> the class. First car in its class to be
electro
>> galvanised.

Also distinguished in some variants for having the longest chrome word ever on the back of a motor, 'Seidicivalvole', bit better than Ford's tightlipped 16v. By the way, HJ, did the electrogalvanising prevent rust? There aren't all that many Tipos around these days.
I actually followed a new Civic on the road today up the A338 near Swindon.

What an ugly looking affair it is from behind. Perhaps ugly is the new beautiful because at my destination the car park was full of new BMWs and Audis and, I am sorry, both marques have gone ugly with the 3 and 5 series' ludicrous 'curves' angles and crap colours and Audi's immensely gross drop nose.

New Lexus IS200 is poor as well, oh and Seat have managed to spoil the Toledo and Leon, VW's Passat just looks tacky whereas the previous model was stately and classy.

It comes to something when you are pleased to see a Mondeo.

Strewth!

Woody
The New Honda Civic - andymc {P}
Yep, nothing to look forward to until the new "Aston-lite" Mondeo is released. In the meantime, there's the Mazda6, although I don't mind the looks of the BMW 5 or the new Lexus. As a Seat owner I have to agree about the Toledo, and the new Leon is ok, but not the gorgeous car it could and should have been. I'll stick with my 2001 car thanks.
As for the new Civic ... I've seen a couple on the road now and I don't mind the front end, apart from the tinfoil effect in the grille. What in God's name did they do that for? Reminds me of the set design on the Muppets' "Pigs In Space" from when I was a kid!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
The New Honda Civic - DavidHM
Tinfoil effect in the grille?

Reminds me of this:

tinyurl.com/zf3s8
But this is just what Honda want, people talking about the car. You don't get far these days building dreary old euro boxes. In a year or so it will be nothing special to look at, think of the Megane, people don't look twice at that now but when it was launched you would think Le Quement had been smoking something exotic.
The New Honda Civic - tyro
I agree with Xileno, except with regard to the words "in a year or so".

When I first saw a picture of the new Civic, I thought it looked startling. Now it looks pretty tame. That didn't take long.
The New Honda Civic - Martin Sweeney
In terms of styling, inside and out, I think cars like the IS, Civic, Passat, A6, 407 and the E60 have moved the game on dramatically compared to the Mondeo. Few of the new designs disparaged are pleasing from every angle and IMO specifically the rear of the A4, E90, E60, the Civic, and every angle of the 1 series need serious attention. However, in fairness to these marques, they are producing distinct design and recognisable styling cues that might stir the soul or boil the blood but at least these manufacturers are creating interest and differentiating brands. That is what an increasingly homogenous car market desperately needs rather than the dated and bland styling of the Mondeo. For sure, for a family saloon, the Mondeo is competent in a number of areas, but IMO aesthetically it?s neither ugly nor beautiful, it?s just there like a tin of magnolia. I suppose some may see that as a virtue, but I imagine that most people wouldn?t.

That the stunning design of the new Mondeo is revolutionary rather evolutionary is hugely welcome and indicates that Ford saw the need to depart massively from the current look. The general enthusiastic response to the new model seems to be that if the production car looks like that, many people, who wouldn?t consider the Mondeo for a minute, will seriously be looking at putting their hands in their pockets. That says something to me about the accepted need to be fresh and move on in this respect. IME it takes time to adjust and new isn?t always good, but to most eyes when you see new model Civics, Lexus, Audis or BMWs alongside their predecessors you appreciate how dated the old models look. Like it or not, I suspect that the Iosis based model will perform an even more dramatic trick on the Mondeo.
Fair points by MS that manufacturers are trying to be different, but I think they are getting it wrong.

The vast majority of new cars are now silver, grey or black, suggesting that subtle and understated might just be the real fashion. The ludicrous 'Jaws' look of Peugots, ugly hang dog snout of Audis and dogs-dinner angles and creases of BMWs are horribly wide of the mark.

Having spent a rare day on the motorways yesterday I concluded that the most attractive main stream cars on the road, current models, are the Mercedes C and E class, the latter being a handsome beast in particular.

That I only saw one new Civic in a day's driving says it all really.

Woody
The New Honda Civic - Martin Sweeney
I also quite like the E-class and would agree that it is handsome, but it's not a design that remotely stirs the loins. The styling is a bit staid and reserved and as mentioned in a recent thread many regarded it as an old man's car. Certainly when I test drove one last year against BMW and Audi the first response from family and friends echoed this sedate image. TBH if you consider the e-class and the Mondeo to be the most attractive cars on the road, then I can understand why the recent offerings from Audi, BMW, Peugeot, Lexus and Honda simply don't do it for you.

If the fact that you only saw one Civic says it all what are we to take from the car park that was full of new BMWs and Audis that you saw? If sales success and automotive design awards are any measure, then your views on BMW and Audi at least show you to be in a minority.
The New Honda Civic - RobC
In my neck of the woods there are various car dealerships dotted around so as soon as a new model comes out I soon see it on the roads.

However, I have yet to see a new Civic. Are people put off by the shape, does it look too radical, only time will tell, but Honda are taking a big gamble with this one.

For me, one manufacturer that has gambled with a return to adventureous design is Citroen with the C4. When you compare one of these with past offerings like the ZX and Xsara their is simply no comparison.

I can't wait for the new C6. I'll probably see one of these before the Civic!
The New Honda Civic - mike hannon
I've seen a few new Civics along the Cote d'Azur in the past few days. It took me a while to realise that, although I originally thought it was ok to look at, the front end and headlights actually looks like those dreadful plastic motor scooters you see everywhere. Is this Honda trying to bring on it's younger customers from two wheels?
The New Honda Civic - daveyjp
Well after many weeks I saw three in one day last week, including one parked up so I had a quick peek around. What an ugly car. Why have they used wing mirrors the size of those on a van?
The New Honda Civic - NowWheels
Why have they used wing mirrors the size of those on a van?

Because it has about as much rear visibility as a van?
I call it the shop window effect....Stopped at the lights you glance sideways and see you/car refelction in shop window

Good car "Thinks:- Hmm you look good in that, what a fine sight"

Bad car "Thinks:- Hmm I wonder what bargains they have in the Sue Rider charity shop."
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The New Honda Civic - cdbr
What about a slightly used 1 series BMW - equally good diesel, build quality & better residuals.

I am a Honda fan through& through but this latest Civic is questionable?
The New Honda Civic - tyro
I am a Honda fan through& through but this latest Civic
is questionable?

Yeah, I reckon Honda are losing the plot. Made good high quality cars, then started to aim at the 'aspirational' market, and then things went wrong. First the Accord which didn't have a proper spare wheel as standard, now the Civic which doesn't even have a proper back window as an option. What next?
The New Honda Civic - Adam {P}
The Accord and Civic are arguably the nicest looking saloons (estates) and hathbacks currently in production. Certainly at the "normal" end of the market.