PC forums like this one. - David W
I need to investigate this internet call alert business. I've found you can have a pretty impressive software based system as well as a plug-in hardware device.

Can anyone guide me to a simple to use PC advice forum where I can trust the replies!

David
Re: PC forums like this one. - Mark (Brazil)
David,

I gave a reference to one about a couple of months ago - entitled something like PC Backroom or something.

I can't find it now though.

Mark.
Re: PC forums like this one. - Clive
PC Advisor magazine run a forum similar to this one where you can post questions or problems and get answers from other users.

www.pcadvisor.co.uk/
Re: PC forums like this one. - Tomo
Trouble is I'm afraid to ask questions for fear of mockery - where's the camshaft?.........
Re: PC forums like this one. - Tom Shaw
David, I have seen the hardware device advertised very recently in a computer mag, but I'm buggered if I can remembered which one. Why don't you try the etailers such as Jungle.com or Dabs.com. If you visit their websites you may find what you are looking for. Sophisticated software systems I would tend to be wary of, as past experience indicates background monitoring programmes of any description cause unexpected conflicts with other programmes.
Re: PC forums like this one. - Lee H
David,

Have you tried looking at newsgroups? They seem to be a little more chaotic than here (!), but if you have a look around at the old posts, you can get a feel for who / who not to take notice of.

Lee.
Re: PC forums like this one. - net4nowt forum
try www.net4nowt.com/forum/index.htm

or

forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/index.php?
Re: PC forums like this one. - David W
Thanks for the info. I've had a look round the PCAdvisor forums, boy they move at a speed...three pages today on one forum alone. I'll look at net4nowt later.

Tom I think the hardware device might be less trouble but the software programs do look interesting.

You get a pop up screen that gives loads of options. You can take the call, make the PC simulate a phone ringing as if you were out, transfer to mobile, leave voicemail...and the bit I liked the best you can record six of your own messages to be played according to the response you want to give the caller that is displayed.

David
Re: PC forums like this one. - David Millar
David

Make sure your modem is up to the job before committing yourself to buying software, or you may find you also need a modem. I downloaded a trial on something much less sophisticated the other day only to find my modem (2 years old) doesn't handle Caller ID and a check on the maker's website shows they don't have any updated drivers.

I had one of the Internet Alert Managers delivered this morning and it does what it says on the box. However, the LCD screen is scrambled on two of the four lines so it is going to have to go back.

David
Re: PC forums like this one. - KB
David, I did try that route myself too, but got nowhere, although I was given the impression that it could possibly be done and I rang several big (and small) computer stores. Some said that they'd vaquely heard of it, but no-one could sell it to me. Others said it might be available as a download on the net and the nearest I got was mention of the new generation of modem which is either out now or out soon. Can't recall it's name, but it replaces the V90 standard.

The IA510/IA400 option appealed to me as I'm a bit wary of upsetting my PC when it's working so well. Having had nightmares in the past (both my fault and otherwise) I prefer to just plug a box in and not interfere more than necessary.

KB.
Yes, I believe that what you're saying is for use in conjunction with this new modem I'm on about. (Do you want to buy a new modem?) Try a bit of research on the modem front and that may lead you to the software you refer to.

KB.
Re: PC forums like this one. - David Millar
It's the V92 modem standard but it doesn't appear to have been adopted by any UK ISPs so availability of suitable modems is probably limited. The trial software I downloaded appears not to need a V92 modem but does need one with a suitable driver to handle Caller ID. I deleted it when I found I couldn't use the program but a quick look at the traces suggest it is called Who's Calling and is available from UK Software.

David
David, Yes, the new modem is V92 and it does look as though you can use it for the purpose you mention. I quickly typed 'V92 modem' into 'Google' and it's all there for the reading. However, me being me - I'd stick with the box.

KB.
David Millar, Did you get it from Comtech? You may have seen that I have the IA4000 and am sure that you've just been unlucky and that they'll swap it without fuss and that you'll be pleased when it's fully up & running. Mine is fine and I wouldn't be without it.

KB.
Re: PC forums like this one. - THe Growler
(scratching head) Huh? Never heard of this type of car problem before.....
Thanks. - David W
No modem in the car Growler? Don't say KB's snatched a lead here.

Seriously thanks for the discussion, I did look over on the PC forums and frankly their posts were less informative than here. I've said it before you can find out anything in the backroom, how that squares with motoring and making HJ/Martyn a bob or two I have no idea.

Good for us though!

David
Re: PC forum - steve paterson
Well, being as I'm here, and the subject is computers, anyone know if it's possible to remove a card from the windows solataire game?
Re: PC forum - KB
I agree, Growler, that we've strayed a bit. However, as has quite sensibly been said before, without a computer, none of us would be exchanging thoughts in the first place and DW is only trying to stay on-line and receive calls to his home and his (car related) business at the same time. And in all fairness, I don't think we're in danger of being swamped by cyber related posts. Take your point though.

KB.