Prelude engine problem. - StanleyJ
Guys I really need your help! Yesterday morning my prelude 2.2i would not start. It cranks but it will not start. I called the AA and they took a look at my car. The guy checked if there was a spark in the plugs and there was none. He then checked the distributor and said there was no spark there either so it must be gone. He said to get it replaced and I had my suspicions that it may be the distributor since I had had it replaced 6 months back. I just put a new one in today but it still does not start!

The AA guy yesterday also said that it may be the relays. How do I check the relays? What do you use? Also are there any recommendations on what to do? I just checked all fuses and no problems there. There is something weird that happens though: when I turn the headlights on, the display on the dashboard showing petrol level and temperature turns off. It never did that before. When you turn headlights off the display comes back on. All other lights like ABS and other lights work as normal. I am starting to think that if its not the distributor it may be the relays.
Prelude engine problem. - Civic8
Sounds like you either have a battery problem,or alternator is not charging correctly.

Battery may have enough just to crank, but not enough to power ecu as well as starter.
first get a test done on alternator output and test on battery to see if its holding its charge
--
Steve
The battery was tested by the AA guy and said it was fine.

One thing he was puzzled by was the fact you cannnot hear the fuel pump engaging when you turn the key to just prior to attempting to start engine.
Prelude engine problem. - Civic8
I find that strange in that certain rovers had the same problem,still not certain of remedy.

some said it was fuel pump relay,though a replacement did not cure the problem,only thing I can say on this is the ignition switch did cause the problem on some rovers.

still debatable as to cause though,would be interested in whether you get the problem sorted though.
--
Steve
Thanks for the info.

How do you check relays though: What do you need? Relays have 4 pins and I'm not sure if you use a normal circuit tester or what?
Prelude engine problem. - Screwloose
Stanley

Did this headlight/panel weirdness occur at the same time as the non-start? If so; maybe a thorough check of earths and connexions might be in order. What year is this Prelude? Have you bridged the diagnostic plug and seen if there are any fault-codes blinked out?
Prelude engine problem. - Peter D
I've only just read this as I am not familier with Honda's but the AA guy missed the point. NO spark and No fuel pump imply either a powere problem or a crank/cam position sensor missing thus no spark information and this also stops the pump feed. You need to get the codes read to find which sensor is playing up. It could, as has been mentioned a Relay problem but you will need a cct diagram, some know-how and a meter to go any further. Regards Peter
Prelude engine problem. - greasemonkey
I had a Prelude a couple of years ago and had the exact same problem, except it started, having left it for an hour or so, before the AA man arrived. On another occassion the AA man towed me to the local Honda dealer, whereupon it started as soon as he'd unhitched it!!
It seems it's a common problem with Preludes, caused by the soldered electrical joints in the relay under the dash, to the right of the steering column, going 'dry'. I recall cold weather exacerbating the problem. You have to get the relay out(a bit of a tight squeeze) open it up & re-solder the joints(carefully). It worked for me ... never had the problem again.
Hondarevolutions.com the owners club website, has lots of detailed photos of the procedure ... it's worth £25 to join if your not already a member.