10W40 in VW PD TDI - bad news? - d_j_burton
I have recently had the misfortune of a small garage putting the wrong oil in my VW Passat 130 TDI. It's 10W40 and I thought that would be ok, but later learnt that there's PD specific oil at 5W40 designed for the PD engines.

Is this 10W40 going to damage the engine instantly, or can I change it in the next couple of weeks / months?
10W40 in VW PD TDI - bad news? - Collos25
Change it when you can there will be no instant damage at all it will run prefectly ok/
I've now done a more extensive search in this forum and it seems that the PD specific oil is a must have. I hope that nothing too serious will happen in about 1000 miles of driving! I'm a bit annoyed the garage put 10W40 in to be honest - not a good trick.
10W40 in VW PD TDI - bad news? - Collos25
Believe me it will do no damage don't worry .
10W40 in VW PD TDI - bad news? - quizman
This is the trouble with taking your car to a small garage. On one hand you probably get a cheaper service, but they usually have no idea which oil to put in.

My local garage told me that it was OK to put any good oil into my Passat 130 TDI, I told them that it had to be 506.01, no no they said that spec is old ( I know it is now, but this was 2 years ago ). So I bought some Castrol SLXII, at great expence, and asked them to put that in. They think I am crackers!

I do not think that the 10W-40 will have done any harm in 1000 miles, but if I was you I would put the proper oil in ASAP. The new Castrol oil is "Castrol Edge 5W-30" it is spec 507.00 I think.
cheers

I have phoned them and he'll shove in my new oil when I get it. Wouldn't 507.00 spec be incorrect though considering I needed 505.01? Anyhow, I think I may get 10L of Millers from ebay and have it ready for the next oil change in 6 months as well as next week's "improvised" oil change!

I can't be fussed changing the filter - I am presuming that if I change 90% of the oil then I will be OK for 6 months.
10W40 in VW PD TDI - bad news? - quizman
Yes 505.01 is OK for 10,000 mile service intervals, the 506.01 and 507.00 are for the variable interval thingie. If you want to now more about variable servicing look in the archives, you will have days of reading, and will end up not much wiser!
10W40 in VW PD TDI - bad news? - nortones2
Wouldn't hang around too long, although its maybe not an immediate effect. See illustrations of PD cam wear resulting from incorrect oil usage here: forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130439

HJ also knows of cases IIRC.
10W40 in VW PD TDI - bad news? - storme
why all the gloom???

10w grade oils will cover down to -15 degrees centingrade
5w grade oils will cover doen to -30degrees centigrade

so long as the oil has the 505.01 correct specification it is ok..check the label if poss

do u think an oil for a car in dubai would need togoto --30degrees???
the 40 is the grade of oil that is needed for when the car is warm

the 5w or 10w is the flow specs when it is cold

dont worry or be scare mongered

i have a car that the book says needs 0w30

well in november i put in 5w30

in march/april i put in 10w40

check most good oil forums about what ppl put into their cars
remember that this forum is a "jack of all trades forum"

--
www.storme.co.uk
10W40 in VW PD TDI - bad news? - Bill Payer
Wouldn't hang around too long, although its maybe not an immediate
effect. See illustrations of PD cam wear resulting from incorrect
oil usage here: forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130439
HJ also knows of cases IIRC.

I just love the statement in that thread "Apparently, he got the oil changed at one of those quick lube places and they used 5W30 oil. 40k miles later and the damage was done"

40K Miles later!!!!!
10W40 in VW PD TDI - bad news? - storme
40k !!!!! it could have been anything that caused the damage..and it must of had its oil changed again since the initial change

also i stated that the oil must be the right vw spec...that is the most important thing
--
www.storme.co.uk
10W40 in VW PD TDI - bad news? - Bill Payer
also i stated that the oil must be the right vw
spec...that is the most important thing
--

There are a very wide range of oils that meet the spec - here's a link from Audi USA, pages 7 & 8 are the ones for 505.01.
www.audiusa.com/common/images/Audi_Approved_Oil_Ch...f
I thinks it's supposed to be a world-wide list, but I notice Millers isn't on it - perhaps they're too local to be mentioned?

Anyway, although on the 502.00 there's a range of viscosity's, the 505.01's are all 5W40. So maybe the 5W on startup is important to VAG?