Fiat Barchetta 1998 - boot release stuck - Richard in France
I have a Fiat Barchette (early 1998) and have a problem - the boot release (which is by cable from a lever in the car) has stopped working. It is EITHER because the cable has broken (not at the lever end as I can still see it and pull it with pliers), OR the boot release mechanism at the BOOT end is jammed. The problem is - HOW DO I GET INTO THE BOOT NOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM??!!

Can you help?

Thanks in advance.
URGENT Barchetta - boot release stuck - Richard in France
I would really appreciate anyone's help! This is now a) embarrassing as I have things in the boot that I need, and b) URGENT as (see above) I have things in the boot that I need, including a camera, all of the registration docs for the car, my house keys (I have spares), the spare wheel, a contract which needs to be signed in a hurry, one of my coats, the car cover, the radio facia, a bottle of good wine (which was for last night's dinner)....you get the picture...I'd like to make this a "damage limitation exercise" meaning that crowbars and hammers are out of the question (as suggested on a Barchetta club site).

I guess you could equate the problem to the BONNET release cable getting stuck or breaking. What would you do then?

THANKS!
URGENT Barchetta - boot release stuck - Dynamic Dave
Is there not a key slot provided at the rear end so that you can still access via a key?

Have you tried getting someone to push down on the boot lid while you tug the cable? This tends to work for stubborn bonnet release mechanisms.
Dynamic Dave - thanks for the response - I have tried everything (including various family members sitting, jumping on, pushing rhythmically) the boot. I have also tried pulling the cable at the lever end with pliers. My guess is that the cable is intact, but the release mechanism at the boot lock end is either jammed or broken. The cable is no longer taut, suggesting to me that a return mechanism somewhere is not working. There is NO external opening option, similar to a Honda Accord that I had (roughly same age - 1998). Great for security as you have to break into the car to open the boot, but most annoying if you have a problem with the mechanism...(which I once had when locking the keys to the car in the boot of the Honda).

I know that as the person that adjudicates this forum you may have direct access to people who may know the answer - if it means a hammer and a bodywork bill, sobeit. But if one you your members (contacts) can advise me otherwise - GREAT - a couple of bottles of wine in the next post!! I'm sure that I can't be the only person in the world to have suffered this problem! (Whether I am in France or not! - 2,500 Barchettas were sold in the UK between 1998 and 2000!)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Rich
URGENT Barchetta - boot release stuck - Martin Wall
Asuuming you have cover abroad with the AA/RAC/etc.have you tried contacting them to see if they can assist? They generally know how to get into most vehicles.

Failing that try the local Fiat dealer I guess...or maybe phone your UK Fiat dealer to see if they know of a solution.

Hope you get this sorted soon.
URGENT Barchetta - boot release stuck - barchettaman
Richard, as far as I can find out there is no way round this one. The best I can do is give you a list if Fiat dealers - hope that there is one near you:

snipurl.com/n1y2
URGENT Barchetta - boot release stuck - barchettaman
Maybe try the fiat forum.

snipurl.com/n1yc
Thanks all - tried the fiat forum and it seems that my problem is unique. Just my luck! I guess it's off to the Fiat garage with a bunch of fivers...
URGENT Barchetta - boot release stuck - Angelo Barchetta

Dear Richard, had you success to drink a bottle of wine locked into the trunk? I have same problem, had you find the way to acces to trunk space? Thanks in advanced, Angelo