Toyota Prius - Periscope Tam
I live in the Shetland Islands and purchased a Prius two weeks ago. I operate it as a taxi. Can anyone tell me if they know of any other Prius being used in such a way?
Toyota Prius - blue_haddock
I sold quite a few Prius whilst working for Toyota and i know of no one else using them as a taxi. A lot of mine went to Southerners who travel into london alot so they don't have to pay the congestion charge.
Toyota Prius - Salem
There were lots of Pruis taxis in Canada (Vancouver) early last year. Only saw the mk2 versions, so not particularly old.
Toyota Prius - henry k
Tam
Welcome to the forum.
I cannot help with your question but do let us have your feedback on your use of the Prius.
Toyota Prius - Galaxy
Hello Tam,

In case you aren't aware, HJ's long term Toyota Prius Road Test is well worth a read. It can be found at:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=135
Toyota Prius - johnny
Northernmost member?
Toyota Prius - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Tam,
Nice to hear from a Shetlander. Good luck with the Prius.
I'd a wonderful holiday on the Mainland and Unst about 15 years ago. I was impressed with the new roads and ferries that had been built since 1968, my first visit. My part of the Tait clan came from the Voe and Bixter area.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Toyota Prius - Hugo {P}
I'm as fascinated as everyone else in how you get on.
Toyota might be quite interested, too.
HJ

This chap may be interested too....

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=38...0

H
Toyota Prius - Zippy123
I think the technology is promising and I would like to use one but as a high milage user I would have the following questions:-

1. How long do the batteries last?
2. How much do they cost to replace?
3. How are they disposed of (environmental issues)?
4. When is the diesel version comming which hopefully is even more efficient.
5. When is there going to be a mainstream car - an Avensis or RAV4 etc?

As an aside, leasing cos need to make them better value as at the moment they do not know what the residuals will be and as such the lease cost is prohibitive.

Best of luck with it.
Toyota Prius - bell boy
I think the technology is promising and I would like to
use one but as a high milage user I would have
the following questions:-
1. How long do the batteries last?
2. How much do they cost to replace?
3. How are they disposed of (environmental issues)?
4. When is the diesel version comming which hopefully is even
more efficient.
5. When is there going to be a mainstream car -
an Avensis or RAV4 etc?
As an aside, leasing cos need to make them better value
as at the moment they do not know what the residuals
will be and as such the lease cost is prohibitive.
Best of luck with it.

are you a yellow jacket and clipboard wearer?i see lots of these these days maybe the car is just an appeasement for govt bodies and red ken????? i love the car by the way but have to admit never driven one
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Toyota Prius - barchettaman
:::::::::: When is there going to be a mainstream car - an Avensis or RAV4 etc?

Prius is pretty mainstream, it´s a 5 door hatch after all. I think they funked it up a bit for marketing purposes. I would imagine they were pretty keen to distance it from the humdrum Avensis.

They´ve just released a hybrid SUV, the Lexus. If it´s anything like the petrol model our friends have in Oz it´ll be very desirable indeed.

PS I´ve not got anything against Avensii.
Toyota Prius - Zippy123
"are you a yellow jacket and clipboard wearer?i see lots of these these days maybe the car is just an appeasement for govt bodies and red ken????? i love the car by the way but have to admit never driven one
--
"

No! The questions are pertinent to ownership costs for high milage users.

Toyota Prius - bell boy
"are you a yellow jacket and clipboard wearer?i see lots of
these these days maybe the car is just an appeasement for
govt bodies and red ken????? i love the car by the
way but have to admit never driven one
--
"
No! The questions are pertinent to ownership costs for high milage
users.

well then for high mileages the answer is a good diesel always was/is.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Toyota Prius - Avant
The ideal taxi would surely be a diesel-electric hybrid. I'm not sure why it has taken so long, but I believe Peugeot / Citroen are working on the concept.
Toyota Prius - Navara Van man
The question regards batery life is something I too have idily wonderd. Other than this and the strange rear boot curve, the prius is a cracking city / urban vehicle.
Toyota Prius - joe mack
HJ's car-by-car review says that it has an 8 year powertrain warranty. Surely the battery is part of the powertrain. Would that include using it as a taxi though ?
Toyota Prius - blue_haddock
HJ's car-by-car review says that it has an 8 year powertrain
warranty. Surely the battery is part of the powertrain. Would that
include using it as a taxi though ?

Yes the battery is included in the extended Prius warranty but i'm not sure as to the warranty.
Toyota Prius - Periscope Tam
Just to give you some info, I travel 30 miles each day in the car to work and then run it as a taxi for 6 days a week for about 60 hours a week. I drive about 850 miles a week and average 50.5mpg. I tend to use the battery drive in Lerwick probably more than would normally be used by a private user but it only takes about twenty minutes to charge back up again.
The comment about a deisel version is interesting but up here in Shetland the average price for deisel is 103.9/litre whilst 4-star is about 95.9/litre. Some of the more remote garages charge 110.9/litre for deisel.
I've checked my warranty and the battery is part of the pwertrain and so is covered, even for use as a taxi because they go by the milage rather than the time.
Toyota Prius - Pugugly {P}
Honda's hybrid has a ten year battery guarantee.