Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - mare
According to a What Car journalist quoted on the radio (paraphrased).

"A hosepipe ban would mean that people wouldn't able to clean their cars, meaning (shock) the lights will get dirty and (horror) the numberplates would be obscured."

Normally I let stupid comments like this go over my head, and I'm normally given to ranting about things i see or hear out and about, after all that's life, but this guy is a motoring journalist and that lends some creditability to his comments to the public. In my view it means that he should be responsible with what he says and what is attributed to him.

No doubt some members of the public will now think that it's ok not to wash their cars because that bloke on the radio said a hosepipe would lead to this and he was a motoring journalist, so he must be right.

Even I, who puts his car through a car wash once every six months if it's lucky, am capable of getting a bucket and sponge and cleaning the vital bits.

Possible overreaction on my part, but i really couldn't believe my ears.

Rant over.
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - bell boy
i agree with you,i sold a punto to a woman over the road from me 14 months ago now and i see the car every day (it was metallic yellow) and it has NEVER been washed its got to be seen to believed and it is (was) such a nice colour, why didnt she just buy the death blue one i had at the same time?
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - Vin {P}
Sorry for the minor tangent here, but what is "Death Blue"? I've heard the term before (it's an unsaleable colour, if I understand correctly) but is it pale or dark or turquoisy or what?

V
And for the first time, i need an edit button: I'm NOT normally given to ranting etc....
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - Civic8
If you cannot wash your car,not a lot stopping you from cleaning the windows/lamps and no/plates-remember 1976 heatwave
--
Steve
"remember 1976 heatwave"

No, i was 4.
No, i was 4.

Looks like you may have to experience it in 2006,Not nice,Most annoying thing is water companies have had years to sort it,ie leaks in system.but they havent.so we have to suffer-plenty of ways to keep your car legal though without washing!
--
Steve
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - BJM38
I worked for 15 years in leak detection for a water company - simple fact is, if we plugged all the leaks or replaced all the pipes, your bucket of water would cost you more than your petrol.

OFWAT tell us what we can spend on major asset works.
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - henry k
>>simple fact is, if we plugged all the leaks......
>>
OFWAT tell us what we can spend on major asset works.

Water was pouring down the gutter in our street 24 hours a day for 5 /6 weeks before it was sorted.
As the leak was on private property the lads could not immediately action it.
All I know is that it was due to regulations etc etc blah blah blah that we just had to wait while the cogs turned slowly.

Calls to OFWAT etc were a waste of breath.
Oh and it was a £500,000 plus property.

Now we are being preached to about saving the stuff.
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - L'escargot
Water was pouring down the gutter in our street 24 hours
a day for 5 /6 weeks before it was sorted.

Did you report it to the water company?
--
L\'escargot.
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - BJM38
Not obliged to fix leaks on private property - some water companies do this free of charge, however
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - Andrew-T
"A hosepipe ban would mean that people wouldn't able to clean their cars, meaning ... the numberplates would be obscured."

On a recent trip up M6 to Edinburgh recently (weather had been cold but dry for a couple of weeks) about 25% of rear number plates were illegible from more than 10 feet. I assumed it was a deliberate ploy to defeat cameras.
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - Stuartli
>>A hosepipe ban would mean that people wouldn't able to clean their cars>>

Stuff and nonsense.

It would take very little water to keep your windows and number plates clean whatever the restrictions on use of water.

In fact I only use a bucket of water (complete with cleaning wax/fluid) just before it's about to rain to wash my car and I then let let the rain rinse it off steak free (we live in a hard water area).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
>>A hosepipe ban would mean that people wouldn't able to clean
their cars>>
Stuff and nonsense.

That's my point. Annoyingly, i think that in many peoples minds, this authoritative journalist will have shifted the responsibility from the individual to the hosepipe ban as a reason not to keep headlamps and number plates clean.
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - oldgit
I find it strange that certain people adopt this boastful attitude that they don't or have not cleaned their cars for months or even years. What about pride of ownership (that is assuming they bought their cars with their own money in the first place).
I often wonder that if they neglect their vehicles so much then what are the conditions of the inside of their houses like?

I shall certainlys strive to keep my whole car clean during any shortage of water but I shall certainly be keeping a very vigilant eye out for my neighbours who usually pour thousands of gallons each year onto their beloved lawns via hosepipes/sprinklers/automatic timers. I'll report any of these to the authorities of they continue so to do.
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - NowWheels
>>A hosepipe ban would mean that people wouldn't able to clean
their cars>>
Stuff and nonsense.

Agreed. I get regular visits from a friend who drives high mileages in rental cars, which she is not intersted in mainataining. Before she sets off again, I always wash the windows, lamps and plates for her -- those are safety issues, but the bodywork is only cosmetic.

One bucket of water and a sponge is all I need. Plus another bucketful to rinse if I'm feeling energetic.

Mind you, I'm amused at the idea that anyone would ask WhatCar's view on anything.
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - Bromptonaut
Does not even need a bucket and sponge. A plant mister (or reused trigger pack) together with a squeegee and soft cloth will do the critical bits.
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - HisHonour
Us oldies who remember 76 will also remember using a bucket of bath water for this purpose, as well as flushing the loo and watering essential plants. Amazing how far a (shared!) bathful of water will stretch...
Us oldies who remember 76 will also remember using a bucket
of bath water for this purpose, as well as flushing the
loo and watering essential plants. Amazing how far a (shared!)
bathful of water will stretch...

Funny how things come around - that's the latest grey water installation now!
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - Oz
To me the most 'crucial bits' would include the underbody areas which right now are constantly exposed to salt spray and salt dust which needs rinsing off to avoid corrosion. How do you do this with a bucket and sponge?
Oz (as was)
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - oldgit
To me the most 'crucial bits' would include the underbody areas
which right now are constantly exposed to salt spray and salt
dust which needs rinsing off to avoid corrosion. How do you
do this with a bucket and sponge?
Oz (as was)

You use a hose with a lance or an attachment that can give a spray or concentrated jet of water - no need for high pressurised water from a pressure sprayer as we've already been discussing here.

There are many hose attachments in the DIY stores or garden centres that can be adjusted for a variety of sprays from a hose attached to a normal water supply.
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - Oz
You use a hose with a lance or an attachment that can give a
spray or concentrated jet of water

This is what I do now, but if the use of hosepipes is to be banned? ...

Oz (as was)
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - nick
To me the most 'crucial bits' would include the underbody areas
which right now are constantly exposed to salt spray and salt
dust which needs rinsing off to avoid corrosion. How do you
do this with a bucket and sponge?
Oz (as was)

Wait for a rainy day and then drive through lots of puddles.
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - madf
Never mind it's only in the south, Where they build houses on floodplains, complain when it floods, leak water away from their pipes at 30% +, run all the streams dry and are fond of green issues.

It's called central planning courtesy of the ODPM - a certain Mr Prescott.

Meanwhile up North, we have more water than we need. Typical Southerners: think the world revolves around them.

:-))))))))))))

madf
leak water away from their pipes at 30% +,

That complaint is all over the country not just the south,As I remember, water board are thinking of installing massive pipes from UP North to us in the south to prevent drought as and when it occurs...dread to think how much water rates will increase to pay for it??
--
Steve
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - NowWheels
leak water away from their pipes at 30% +,
That complaint is all over the country not just the south,As
I remember, water board are thinking of installing massive pipes from
UP North to us in the south to prevent drought as
and when it occurs...dread to think how much water rates will
increase to pay for it??

If lakeloads of our water is going dahn sarf, I'd say a few grand a year from each of you should be adequate payment to us Northerners for saving you from dehydration.

Pay up, or else we'd send our police down to book you for having unwashed numberplates ;)
>>If lakeloads of our water is going dahn sarf, I'd say a few grand a year from each of you should be adequate payment to us Northerners for saving you from dehydration.

NW,I wondered who would catch on that,might have guessed you would,it was however a comment made on local radio (bit on tv as I recall)-but was mentioned it would be more expensive than rebuilding Londons entire water pipe network.

so I think you are safe so far,except in respect of drought is likely to effect all in this country,still no reason not to keep windows and no/plates clear!

--
Steve
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - henry k
Meanwhile up North, we have more water than we need.

In translation does this mean " Water on the brain" ;-)

A map showing rainfall around the country, that I saw the other day, did not show anywhere that got the max required rainfall.
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - Nsar
Southern pink girly skipping ropes wash their cars in Evian anyway don't they, what are they bleating about?
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - drbe
Meanwhile up North, we have more water than we need. Typical
Southerners: think the world revolves around them.
:-))))))))))))
madf

We darn Sarf, don't THINK the world revolves etc.

We KNOW the world etc.

;-)
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - Martin Devon
Of course we ponsy southerners could use wishy washy northern beer for car washing. No good for drinking eh!

Ha! ha! MD
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - bell boy
Of course we ponsy southerners could use wishy washy northern beer
for car washing. No good for drinking eh!
Ha! ha!
MD

being a northener i could take offence but i have just opened a bottle of "spitfire" made in kent,and i agree northern beer after big business moved in is not the same anymore so use it to wash your cars there will be no tears from me these days.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - John.Davies
Washing your car with bath water?
You were lucky!

We had to pee in the bucket, and use our hankerchiefs to wash the car!
Hosepipe ban poses danger to motorists - Collos25
You mean you can afford a bucket.