Radiator Change on Peugeot 106xnd - roger222
All

First time on here and Im a mechanic newbie. Basically i am changing a radiator on a 106. I am a bit confused by the Haynes manual which states you have to drain the cylinder block. When I disconnect the hoses, swap the radiator and plumb it back in, Do I simply refill or do i have to 'Bleed the cyclinder block, If so where would this valve be?.

Any help greatfully recieved.

Thanks

Radiator Change on Peugeot 106xnd - Peter D
Easy Job but difficult to bleed. Just disconnect the bottom hose and let it drain. Once the old rad is out flush the system with a hose pipe fitted into the bottom hose and let it all rush out again repeat untill clean. Fit new rad and connect up, undo the bleed vlave on the passenger side of the rad, turn and pull up,Fill with correct antifreeze and quanity, I use 3 L now fill slowly with water until water comes out of the bleed valve. Do up and undo the valve near the rear right of the engine, It's a tyre valve cap, continue to fill and allow some fluid to pass out og the cap. Replace ( There is a small 'o' ring in the cap ) be carefull not to loose it. Run engine for 2 mins and bleed again, repeat 3 times. Then go for a gentle run and Bleed again. Repeat until allair is removed. Regards Peter
Radiator Change on Peugeot 106xnd - roger222
Peter

Thanks a lot for that mate. i really appreciate it.

Regards

Radiator Change on Peugeot 106xnd - Peter D
Some guys recomend extending the height of the header tank by taping on a plastic bottle but I found it made no difference. Regards Peter
Radiator Change on Peugeot 106xnd - 659FBE
The plastic bottle trick is only needed on the earlier PSA diesels with the XUD and similarly derived engines. The TUD unit on the 106 has a single bleed point near the RH engine mount and there should be no problems bleeding this. By the time PSA designed the TUD they got around to fitting narrow bore degas pipes to the header tank from both the radiator and the cylinder head, so the rest of the system is self-venting.

Putting the filler cap at the highest point was a further stroke of genius; these developments have lowered the incidence of blown head gaskets, although the quality of the OE fitted radiators is very poor.