Length of time 'till first MOT. - Imagos
Processed an extremely tatty 2005 '05 reg Passat today with 17k up so ready for disposal. What shocked me though was the state the car had got itself into.

All tyres worn with front two nearly bald on inside edges, cracked rear lense and chipped and cracked windscreen.

I'm not an expert but i'm sure all these points would fail a MOT test. As this vehicle will most likely end up at auction 'without' any of these faults repaired the new buyer could easily use it for another 2 years with MOT failure issues even before requiring a test.

So why is the 3 year until first test requirement still in force?

The MOT business has been thoroughly overhauled recently with computerized certificates etc so why has the 3 year rule remained unchanged for years?

I'm sure that like this nearly year old Passat there are plenty of other 1, 2, year old vehichles that are sure fire failures.

Why not a 12 month from new compulsery test?
Length of time 'till first MOT. - bell boy
Because it would be system overload for mot stations.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Length of time 'till first MOT. - henry k
Because it would be system overload for mot stations.

>>
Initially this would be true but I feel sure there are a few more reasons against it.

A few situations that would be improved on.
Stories of fleet suppliers reluctant to change tyres etc.
Extended maintenance plans can mean longer periods with faults not actioned.
Road warriors who do big mileages that very probably cause a significant wear n tear on lots of components.

I am totally in favour of moving towards a MoT from 1 year old.
It would help identify examples like from a current thread.
"An Audi TT 18 months old with 14K on the clock has corroded front disks - not worn but rusted."

Or the significant number of newish cars with faulty lights.

With so many user not interested in safety it is logical to move the MOT forward to scoop up younger cars.
Length of time 'till first MOT. - Aprilia
I agree with the above. I can't be the only one on here who's seen 2 year old cars with 50-60k with shot out discs etc. Some of these cars are thrashed to hell and back by reps - need an MoT from 'year one' I think!
Length of time 'till first MOT. - Screwloose

I suppose that, to start with, they could reduce it to two years or 25,000 miles - whichever came first. Although things like bulbs can go at anytime and there would always be the extreme exceptions; discs, pads, tyres etc. don't usually get too bad in under that time/distance.
Length of time 'till first MOT. - L'escargot
At least the current MOT system is better than no MOT at all. In my younger days there were cars with no tyre tread whatsoever, and with free play in the steering that you would not believe. A a friend's car had 5" free play measured at the rim of the steering wheel ~ that's over 30 degrees! I drove it once and I just couldn't keep the car in a straight line. A lot of drivers nowadays would not even be able to understand the concept of free play in the steering.
--
L\'escargot.
Length of time 'till first MOT. - Round The Bend
Not more regulation, please. I'm sure that the vast majority of cars are serviced and roadworthy up to the 36 month mark so why legislate for the tiny minority?
_______
IanS
Length of time 'till first MOT. - turbo11
No more red tape thanks,for those of us who look after their vehicles.Other than emmision level checks,my cars dont need an MOT.Maybe enforced attendance at car maintenance classes would be a better idea.
Length of time 'till first MOT. - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
I suppose that, to start with, they could reduce it to
two years or 25,000 miles - whichever came first.

When I was out on the road, this would have meant an MOT after 8 months!
Length of time 'till first MOT. - Alan
L'escrgot talking of free play in the steering brought back memories of a friend who drove an ice cream van as a summer job many years ago.
He gave me a lift in it one day and demonstrated how you could turn the steering wheel through about a 1/4 turn and it had no effect on the direction of travel. He told me that the firm had a fleet of similar vans and the number plates were switched onto the roadworthy van to enable them to get MOT's for the others.
At least you can't do that anymore.
Length of time 'till first MOT. - bell boy
L'escrgot talking of free play in the steering brought back memories
of a friend who drove an ice cream van as a
summer job many years ago.
He gave me a lift in it one day and demonstrated
how you could turn the steering wheel through about a 1/4
turn and it had no effect on the direction of travel.
He told me that the firm had a fleet of similar
vans and the number plates were switched onto the roadworthy van
to enable them to get MOT's for the others.
At least you can't do that anymore.

you could do though if the chassis details were taken off the v5c rather than the vehicle, as the mot garage is too lazy to check the chassis details as someone posted a few days ago.All the ice cream man would have to do is swap the number plates around.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Length of time 'till first MOT. - Imagos
I'm sure that the vast majority of cars are serviced and roadworthy up to the 36 month mark >>

Well i'm not too sure about that comment. See thread on the unserviced Fiat Punto.

What about Vans too?