Diesel Estates - AllTorque
Hello all.

At the minute, i have a W210 mercedes E320 CDI Elegance estate and am looking to buy a new car in the next month or two.I am looking for reliability, economy and good value for money (around 15-20k).

Could anyone recommend any good cars, cars to avoid or any information at all regarding the above?

Thanks
Diesel Estates - Avant
With your budget, I'd suggest:

Another Mercedes (used)
Audi A4 or A6 (used)
Ford Mondeo (new or nearly-new)
Skoda Octavia (new)
VW Passat (new, but the Octavia is just as good with the same engines, and cheaper)
Mazda 6 (new)
Honda Accord (new or nearly-new)

Go for some test drives and see what you like. The Skoda, Mazda and Honda have the best reputations for reliability, although my Audi has, touch wood, been faultless for 32,000 miles.

French cars can be excellent or awful depending on whether you get a good one and (particularly) a good dealer. Personally I might go for a new French car but not a used one as they are vulnerable to abuse.
Diesel Estates - adverse camber
You will get better responses if you say something about what you are going to use it for and what you are looking for in the car - performance, economy, handling, space, comfort, status/badge, toys, etc.

Do you mean 'new' to you or brand spanking 'new' first registration ?

Watch out for the mundano fans.
Diesel Estates - barney100
It would be interesting to know the age and condition of your E Class. If it in anything like reasonable condition and you are going to spend 15 to 20K I would consider getting it put into good order and use the excess cash to some other purpose.
Diesel Estates - Pugugly {P}
BMW Touring (330 or 320)
Rover 75 if you could find one.
Diesel Estates - mrmender
BMW Touring (330 or 320)
Rover 75 if you could find one.

GOOD God!
I thought i was the only champion of the 75 estate here! belting car but you could probably buy 4 for 15k!
I do get a certain smug satisfaction every time i pass a BMW 320D & think i've got the same wengine as you mate!
Diesel Estates - Pugugly {P}
Cracking car the 75....despite being fwd ;-)

Anyway,,

Vauxhall Vectra or the much maligned Signum.
Diesel Estates - Collos25
75 estate my god rear end shunt no matter how minor normally results in a scrap car.No rear body panels available,come to that a lot of parts not available.Stick to car that is actually made and a company that is in existance.Jaguar diesel estate bootiful.
Diesel Estates - NickS
Why would he want to change from a E320 CDI, to a Rover 75?!

A 530d Touring or something similar might be a better bet if he wants anything close to the E320. My dad had an E320 (S plate) and it was a lovely car, effortless acceleration etc.

I personally think the Accord tourer looks fantastic, should get a nice one for £15k.

Few other options:

Volvo V70
Kia Sorrento (about same size as an E-class!)
BMW 530d touring
Renault Vel Satis
Audi A6
Diesel Estates - Statistical outlier
I bought a Diesel Honda Accord Tourer last month. 4500 miles in 40 days, 500 miles in a day, totally comfortable, surprisingly fast. Got a double mattress in the back moving my gf 150 miles on Sunday. Overtaking artics amazingly simple in 3rd. Only problem is most tanks only getting 37-42 mpg, even driving gently. Had one tank over 50, but that seems to be an exception. I'm hoping it'll loosen up a bit.

You can get an absolute bargain on the '05 models at the moment, free upgrade to Ex spec (nice leather, nice stereo etc) and there are good deals to be had.

Gord.
Diesel Estates - gbr
agree with pugugly, my signum is now two years old, has been faultless returning 44 mpg from
2.2 dti automatic.

regards, gbr.
Diesel Estates - lordy
Honda Accord Tourer. It's vast. It's reliable. It has a cool electric boot, useful if you ever need to find favour with a small child.

It's amazing how well behaved my four year old daughter becomes if I threaten the ultimate sanction eg -

"Look miss lordy, for the hundredth time, no, we can't make a cheese hospital this afternoon. Now ask me again and I won't let you do the magic boot"

--
let me be the last to let you down....
cheese hospital ? - adverse camber
OT I know but what is a 'cheese hospital' ?
cheese hospital ? - NowWheels
OT I know but what is a 'cheese hospital' ?

It's one of those new PFI jobbies they are building these days in place of the real thing. Twice the price, half the beds, broken plumbing etc ;)

(sorry Lordy, I'm sure your cheese hospitals are great!)
Name-change time: NoWheels + Almera = NowWheels
cheese hospital ? - MichaelR
Can't beleive this thread has got this far without someone recommending one of the finest diesel Estates on the planet..

BMW 530d Sport Touring.
cheese hospital ? - mrmender
Can't beleive this thread has got this far without someone recommending
one of the finest diesel Estates on the planet..
BMW 530d Sport Touring.

But it's got THAT badge people won't let you in at junctions
cheese hospital ? - MichaelR
Can't beleive this thread has got this far without someone
recommending
>> one of the finest diesel Estates on the planet..
>>
>> BMW 530d Sport Touring.

But it's got THAT badge people won't let you in
at junctions

Can't say its ever a problem I've found.
Diesel Estates - cheddar
I do get a certain smug satisfaction every time i pass
a BMW 320D & think i've got the same wengine as
you mate!

Though less power and, more importantly, torque in a 75.
Diesel Estates - cheddar
Mondeo if a cavernous boot is important, 3 series or X-Type if not. The new Focus is also very attractive, a 2.0 diesel is quick and economical.
Diesel Estates - NickS
MichealR, see my post above, 530d was my first thought!!
Diesel Estates - tyro
If you want reliability,

1) You probably want Japanese, and in particular Honda, Toyota and Mazda, which routinely are the 3 most reliable makes of car. (Nissan and Skoda good, but probably not quite so dependable.)

2) You don't want to buy a second hand car. You don't know its history, and in particular, with a common rail diesel, you don't know whether it has ever had petrol in it by accident.

3)You probably don't want to buy a model which has only just been released and which still has some bugs that need sorting out - get something that has been in the showrooms for at least a year.

That means the 3 obvious cars for reliability are the Honda Accord, the Mazda 6, and the Toyota Avensis. The first two are more highly regarded in the estate form than the Avensis, and the Honda Accord, by all accounts, has a considerably better diesel engine than the Mazda.

If reliability is not the big factor in your decision, something like a Mercedes or BMW would undoubtedly be nice.
Diesel Estates - stevied
We still don't know what a cheese hospital is!

I need to know.
Diesel Estates - lordy
>We still don't know what a cheese hospital is!

I don't think we will ever know for sure. I resisted finding out for a whole afternoon. I asked little one last night what a cheese hospital was, she looked at me like I was an idiot, as did SWMBO. I didn't pursue it any further.

Whatever it is (dragging it back to being motoring related), I am sure it would fit into the Accord's boot.

--
let me be the last to let you down....
Diesel Estates - mss1tw
"Cheese Hospital; Punters bring their ill and neglected fridge dairy products in to a team of dairitinarians. Under the watchful eye of Rolf Harris, the cheese is carefully nursed back to health.
The problem is usually that the wrapping hasn't been replaced properly and it's gone a bit crusty round the edges.
This is easily solved with a quick operation with a cheese knife"

Gotta love Google.