Peugeot 406 HDI LX 110 Preheat light - adam0303
I have recently bought "4 weeks ago" a 2000 yom pug 406 as above but whenevr i start it there is no preheat light when the engin is cold or warm and when i search the net i can find nothing on it some people say about different model vehicles that it only operates at certain temperatures, th closest i have got is one guy with a c5 with the same engine mentioned that his started to preheat when the doors are unlocked can anyone enlighten me, oh yes forgot to say it always starts first time never ever had an issue with that. The car is brilliant i just need to put my mind at rest as this is annoying me a little.
Peugeot 406 HDI LX 110 Preheat light - mss1tw
It's an HDi, they rarely have to preheat.
Peugeot 406 HDI LX 110 Preheat light - Bromptonaut
Have same engine in a Xantia. See the glowplug light for about a second if I look out for it. Starts at first turn of the key in all weathers, so assume it's operating to spec.

Don't know about preheat on unlock.
Peugeot 406 HDI LX 110 Preheat light - neil
Xantia - different car, same motor - has a pre-heat light which flicks on and off in the blink of an eye, literally, whether sub-zero or engine warm. HDis just dont need to wait for preheat before starting, although I assume there is some form of hgeating going on, both before and after starting - not least because the headlights are dimmed by the current switching on and off after starting.

Incidentally, there's also a clutch of 4 extra glowplugs in a strange little manifold near the heater, which come on together and to an extent warm the coolant - when I replaced the coolant recently, they heated up while I was still bleeding it through and they're extremely effective, as the scald showed...! Don't know if they contribute to better starting, strangely the heater still takes an age to get going because the engine's so thermally efficient.

Peugeot 406 HDI LX 110 Preheat light - Screwloose
adam

On an HDi, you get 0.25 seconds pre-heating at 10C; 0.5 secs at 0C; and a whacking 5 secs at -10C. Post-start heating is far longer; 30 seconds at 18C up to 3 minutes at -10C.

The plugs are always powered when actually cranking if the coolant is below 20C. Mostly, these engines don't need any pre-heat at all in our climate. Can't say that I've ever done a cold-start fault on one.
Peugeot 406 HDI LX 110 Preheat light - adam0303
Sorry to seem repetitive to you guys so at say 3+ degerees in the morning which it is roughly in my are is it normal to not see the pre heat light come on at all.
Peugeot 406 HDI LX 110 Preheat light - Screwloose
adam

At that temp it should only come on for around 380 milli-seconds. Not sure if it's normal to be able to see that or not. Probably depends on how sharp your eyes are at that time of the morning!
Peugeot 406 HDI LX 110 Preheat light - neil
Sorry to seem repetitive to you guys so at say 3+
degerees in the morning which it is roughly in my are
is it normal to not see the pre heat light come
on at all.

Well... from the spec given above, I'd suggest you'd be looking for a light that might be on for about a quarter of a second...

If you're really determined you want to see this magnificent display of riotous colour, have a look in the handbook for where the light actually is, then stare there while you start it! It'll either work, which is good, or it won't, which is ... well, not exactly bad, is it? Because the car is still starting perfectly, so if anything really is wrong it looks like it's the bulb...!

Anyway - relax, its a Peugeot- so the likelihood is there'll be a real fault along in a minute!

Neil