406HDi - Steering problem - AdrianM
I've noticed my steering has become a bit uncertain when turning sharply to the right (OK to the left). Thought it might be tyre pressures but these are OK. As I turn it feels like there is a series of little pulls on the steering wheel - almost as if the power steering isn't consistant and pulses on and off.

Also noticed when cold and turning off my driveway I sometimes lose power steering until I give a few revs then everything OK. Then, yesterday, as I turned full lock into a carpark space, there came a quite loud "oooooo" noise!

Car is '99, 2.0 HDi with 75k on clock. Is this likely to be solely a problem with the power steering or related to the crankshaft pulley I've read so much about! Any advice/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

AdrianM
Oh dear, looks like a simple case of neglect. Got day off to tile en-suite but as SWMBO is away I thought I'd have a quick looksee myself. Not too knowledgable about cars, but even I can read the min/max levels in the power steering fluid reservoir! So quick trip to autofactors and topped up with ATF, funny noises and dodgy steering seem to have vanished. Hopefully acted quick enough to avoid any permanent damage.
406HDi - Steering problem - mjm
Keep an eye on the level, the fluid must have gone somewhere ----
The hose from the bottom of the reservoir is pretty gunked up so this looks like the source of my leak...........next job on the list!