VW Golf Driver 1.8 95M Cam Belt Trouble - ant007
Hi there,
While driving on the motorway the cam belt on my golf shredded, which course my car to lose engine power and stop.I have been told it will cost me £150/200 to put on a new cam belt to try the engine.Will this be worth doing,considering the car was purchase for £800 and has 84,000 miles on the clock or is it scrapheap time
VW Golf Driver 1.8 95M Cam Belt Trouble - Dr Rubber
Probably not as at motorway speeds the likelyhood of bent valves etc. is high. Might be worth getting the engine rebuilt if the car is otherwise OK.
Joe
VW Golf Driver 1.8 95M Cam Belt Trouble - jc2
Seconhand engine???
VW Golf Driver 1.8 95M Cam Belt Trouble - HarlequinVW
a new cambelt is about 4 quid at GSF carparts, haynes explains quite well how to change the belt, you need a good quality 6mm allen key (to remove the bottom aux belt pulley) and a pair of circlip pliers (to turn the cambelt tensioner) above a normal toolkit.

Also, your engine is PROBABLY NOT an interference engine, the 8v mk 2 Gti's are not, and that engine (the PB) is very similar to yours.
VW Golf Driver 1.8 95M Cam Belt Trouble - Peter D
The 95 is a MK II and think it is an inerferace engine. Remove spark plugs and wire up a small 12v bulb and a length of wire and feed it through the plug holes so you can see if there is any debris or valve marks in top of the pistons which I suspect there will be. Good Luck. Peter