tyre recommendations for pug 309 - Alan
Sorry its such a boring car with standard 145x13 tyres.
I am notlooking for something exotic just decent grip in the wet which I am not getting with the cheapies I have at the moment, although they actualy last longer than the well known brands Ive had before.
Also is it possible on the existing rims to go up to 155x13 which many 309's have, and is it sensible.
Thanks Alan.
Re: tyre recommendations for pug 309 - Brian
I used Pirelli P4000 (I think, or was it P2000 at that time?) on mine and had no complaintsabout roadholding or wear rates, and not too expensive @ about £45 a tyre.
Re: tyre recommendations for pug 309 - David W
Alan,

Have a look a few threads back under "Decent Tyres" and look up the OnLine Tyres link.

I guess the Firestones I mentioned we are having are the sort of size you should go up to. I would want at least a 165 on a car like the 309. They are middle range tyres and are well under £30 each inclusive.

David
Re: tyre recommendations for pug 309 - David Millar
Peugeot 309 is bigger and heavier than a Visa so I am surprised that standard tyres are 145 x 13. However, I put a couple of Pirelli 1000s on the front of daughter's Visa 10e about 5000 miles ago and they have been excellent so far and wearing well. From memory, about £35 each from Central tyres last summer, although one of their competitors told me they were obsolete and tried to sell me Continentals which were awful on a previous Peugeot 106 so I said no thanks.

David
Re: tyre recommendations for pug 309 - AndyS
Regarding wider tyres on the same rims - safest check is to find out (owners manual, Haynes) whether 145 and 155 width tyres were originally fitted to the same width rim.

Check what rim width you have, probably stamped on the wheel - something like 5Jx13 at a guess.

On the choice of tyre, I run firestone f580 on my 97 Polo and think that for a reasonably cheap tyre they give good grip. They are certainly 10 times better than the Goodyear Clubs which I also tried. Absolute cr*p with poor wet grip and lasted less than half the mileage of the original Conti Eco contacts. These were very good but a shocking price.