Mercedes 230E broken mirror - MW
1992 Mercedes 230e auto.
My wife has just hit a road restrictor and clumped the drivers door mirror. The body sprang back and is fine, but the mirror has shattered, although all the mirror is still held intact in position.
Has anyone replaced one of these before. Can one just pluck out the old glass and stick on a new one in place on the outside, or does everything have to be stripped out?
Mercedes 230E broken mirror - jc2
You used to be able to buy new glasses that stuck over the broken bits(Halfords or similar).
Mercedes 230E broken mirror - Aprilia
Yes, you can use a 'stick over' or pry out the old glass and replace with OE part.
Mercedes 230E broken mirror - Collos25
They just clip in and cost around £60 at Euro car parts if it is heated.
Update;
2 choices.
1). A stick on at Halfords for £11.99p for the antidazzle one. Took 8 days to arrive as it needed to be ordered.
2). Swedish and German said £47 for the glass plus heater unit.
In the end I went for the stick on as the heater wasn't working anyway, (the passengers does) and I never really use/need them.
Halfords and the instructions said stick over the broken glass, but I was worried about the contact area. Also the plastic backing plate is very very flexible, and although it has a lip, it gets its rigidity from the glass itself and I was worried the adjuster would be poorer.
Anyway I pulled/scrapped the bits along with the black bitumus type backing off. They are very well made, and came away mostly cleanly. You do loose the heater and contacts as they are bonded into the black backing. White spirt to clean up. Dry, and stick on. Do have several dummy runs as it is very much a 'one shot job'. Result is pretty good. Pleased I took the old glass off as the contact area is better and the glass is inside the lip of the backing plate. All works well. Pity about the heater, but I am sure I will not notice.
Total job time 40 minutes
Mercedes 230E broken mirror - bell boy
i know the job is done now ,(congrats )but i always find that a heat gun on everything prior to fitment always helps as well.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
I thought about putting a hair dryer on it. But after a while it was bone dry if a tad coolish. But it seems OK. I have wondered how long these stick ons, really do stay stuck on?
Mercedes 230E broken mirror - bell boy
forever or a day,is the answer, at one time i used to use glassfibre resin to hold them in if they were looking dodgy.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"