Front lock-up on golf gti ???? - pantman
M reg 2.0L Golf Gti
Whilst waiting at a round-a-bout in january i went to pull off and the cars front wheels locked. The car would not budge and i had to call out the RAC to take the car home. At the time the RAC guy felt it could be to do with the gearbox, and that the gearbox may have got stuck in two gears. However by the time the car got home the wheels had "Un-locked" themselves and were rolling freely. He was a bit baffled by this and put the car front up on jacks, (front wheel drive), and "drove the car" through all the gears without any problem. He left sratching his head saying he couldn't be sure what the problem was. I then contacted 3 mechanics. One said he felt it was the front brakes might need bleading as an air lock could have caused the wheels to lock. One said it sounded like the differential (whatever that is), and the other said it could be a lose rivet on the gearbox that is trapping inside the cogs. So including the RAC guys original feeling - thats 4 different possible cause's

Any ideas guys ??

Front lock-up on golf gti ???? - Peter D
I doubt it was brakes. Did you actually move off before the wheels locked or did the car just refuse to move off. There is no reason for the diff to lock up just because you came to a halt at the island so possible double engagement but at the scene you have have tried to move the car both forwards and backwards I would have thought. I don't think you should drive the car it could lock up at any time and kill you. Ring a gearbox specials that build VW boxes and speak with them to see if they have had boxes do this. Check all the gear box linkages and bushes and drain the oil to check for debris. Regards Peter
Front lock-up on golf gti ???? - shadow.saw
its probably the gearbox as i have relaced a few with them stuck between 2nd and 3rd and they have been compleatly stuck and then they would move fine and do it again try changing the gear oil to see what its like inside and that will give you your answer if the oil is metalic new gearbox, but if its clean try adjusting the linkage other than that no idea