£9k, new driver, new car. - y2k+4
Ok, so what would make a good NEW car, for a new driver? He needs space, since it would be the main car for his family (his mum doesn't drive), but most importantly he wants style too.

Reliability would be a thought, as would a good equipment list. Insurance grouping would need to be low (I'm thinking 4, or less) and it's his first car.

My personal vote is headed for the new Yaris, I think, or perhaps the Suzuki Swift, but what do you guys think would be best? I did think of the C4 and Megane, but with their manufacturer's reputation for unreliability I discounted them...

NOTE: He is insistent on getting a new car, despite my advice that it'll just lose value and he'll probably dent it a bit.
£9k, new driver, new car. - Adam {P}
Don't forget insurance will eat a nice part out of that 9 grand.
£9k, new driver, new car. - mss1tw
It's gotta be a Kia hasn't it?
£9k, new driver, new car. - NowWheels
Why does it have to be NEW? There are plenty of cars which are available at a year or two old with huge savings on brand new. Still a year or two of manufacturer's warranty left, now nicely run in.
£9k, new driver, new car. - machika
If it's a Citroen, it must be unreliable, so no point considering one of them. This ought to be the motto of this forum!
£9k, new driver, new car. - cub leader
If it's a Citroen, it must be unreliable, so no point
considering one of them. This ought to be the motto
of this forum!

That may have been situation in the past but the more modern citroens are a lot better also have seen them in fairly severe accident where driver has walked away uninjured
--
Temporarily not a student, where did the time go???
>> If it's a Citroen, it must be unreliable, so no
point
>> considering one of them. This ought to be the
motto
>> of this forum!
That may have been situation in the past but the more
modern citroens are a lot better also have seen them in
fairly severe accident where driver has walked away uninjured
--
Temporarily not a student, where did the time go???

>>

If you know my opinion of Citroens, you will know I was being sarcastic.
£9k, new driver, new car. - daveyjp
Don't question the decision to buy new - it's a decision that's been made. If no one bought new where would the depreciated second hand motors come from?

For £9,000 there's not actually much out there if you want plenty of toys too.

The following manufacturers have cars available from £8,000-9000.

Chevrolet
Citroën
Daihatsu
Fiat
Ford
Honda
Hyundai
Kia
Mazda
Mitsubishi
Nissan
Peugeot
Proton
Renault
Seat
Skoda
Smart
Suzuki
Toyota
Vauxhall

Take your pick!!!
£9k, new driver, new car. - NowWheels
Don't question the decision to buy new - it's a decision
that's been made. If no one bought new where would
the depreciated second hand motors come from?

As a secondhand buyer myself, I thought about that ... but decided to be helpful. If the first-time buyer here still wants to subsidise us secondhand buyers, that's fine by me!
£9k, new driver, new car. - Bill Payer
Well the basic Jazz lists at £8,800 (although I'd be reluctant to have one without a/c).

A 1 or 2 year old 1.4SE should be in the right price (and insurance) bracket and (being a Jazz) would still feel brand new.

It's a very acceptable everyday car, but probably not suited (in my opinion) to long motorway journeys, although people do use them for that.
£9k, new driver, new car. - SteVee
Don't just look at list prices - go looking for a deal.
He's in a good position to buy, although he could be easy to sway by something glittery in the showroom.
What's 'stylish' in this context ?
badge? 2 or 3 doors only? Alloys only?

I'd probably start with the new Suzuki Swift, but have a good look/phone around.
£9k, new driver, new car. - Round The Bend
You may be able to get a Renault Modus if you shop around. The 1.4 expression perhaps? Nice alternative to those suggested so far.
_______
IanS
£9k, new driver, new car. - DavidHM
Everything about this question screams Jazz.

It's spacious, reliable, cheap to run and economical. Given its lack of depreciation, space and reliability it would be ideal and there's a financial case for spending £10,183 for this rather than £9,000 on something else that would depreciate at the same rate anyway.

Otherwise I'd consider a Kia Rio very seriously - a car I like very much. Even though it's only supermini sized, it feels like a bigger car in every way except for great all round visibility. £8,500 from drivethedeal.com for the 108 bhp diesel.

Finally, how abouta Skoda Fabia? Their customers love them, and £9k gets you either a 1.4 Sport with 75bhp or a 1.4 Ambiente with 100.
What is the NCAP rating for a Jazz? There isn't an awful lot between the front end and the passenger compartment.

The problem with the Jazz, as I see it, is that it may not be very comfortable for long journeys. The seats are nowhere near as good as those found in a C4, for instance.
£9k, new driver, new car. - Bill Payer
What is the NCAP rating for a Jazz? There isn't
an awful lot between the front end and the passenger compartment.

It's 4 for front impact.
The problem with the Jazz, as I see it, is that
it may not be very comfortable for long journeys. The
seats are nowhere near as good as those found in a
C4, for instance.

I don't know about the C4, but I agree about the Jazz and long journeys - I already mentioned that earlier.

The other problem I see is that this car is for a (youngish) guy? So he may not be that keen on the Jazz. Although I'd like to expand the Jazz demographic, to increase its potential market for when I come to sell ours!