M20 - is a section closed? - Mike H
Every time I've driven down the M20 to get to Dover for the last couple of years, it has been closed between two junctions (can't remember the numbers, but somewhere in Kent around Maidstone). This has involved all traffic leaving the motorway, wending our way through the countryside, and rejoining at the next junction. There has never been any mention of this closure on the RAC or siimilar websites, but it's always there! This has resulted in some very tight squeaks on making the ferry. However, I was talking to a friend the other day, and he said that he'd never come across the closure.

Can someone enlighten me as to what gives - is it just coincidence that I've been stuffed the last few times, does it only happen at particular times (my usual time is probably about 8:00am), and just why is it/has it been closed - there are no sign of roadworks?
M20 - is a section closed? - Bromptonaut
Often closed coastbound from 11-12 for use as a lorry park in the event of disruption to the ferries. Seems to make the traffic flashes on 5Live when it happens.

A google for "Operation Stack" should throw up examples and a more detailed explanation.
M20 - is a section closed? - artful dodger {P}
The M20 is sometimes closed to use it as a giant HGV park when the cross channel ferries go on strike. Lorries are then released in small batches to travel to Dover so the port does not become clogged with waiting lorries.

There are plans to build a site with full facilities just north of Maidstone specially for these fairly regular stoppages, but there is currently no funding available.

Most of the times when the M20 is closed it is mentioned on traffic warnings (like on Radio 2) saying Operation Stack has closed the motorway.

If you know inadvance then you can always use the M2 and A2 via Canterbury to avoid the M20. This used to be the prefered route to and from the channel ports until the M20 was widened.

I hope this clears up your query.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Thanks guys, you've sort of answered the query, as there was certainly some disruption to the ferrys around about the first time it happened. However, at other times I've been travelling there have been no reported ferry disruptions, no sign of HGVs on the motorway, and HGVs being diverted off with me, which slows things down no end! So I'm not convinced it's the whole story.....

I don't have a problem with it being done, I would just like to know in advance to leave a little extra time - a luxury we don't usually have!
Just googled "Operation Stack" - thanks for the tip. I'll check it out before we go.
M20 - is a section closed? - codefarm
There are plans to build a site with full facilities just
north of Maidstone specially for these fairly regular stoppages, but there
is currently no funding available.

Why doesn't Blair ask Chirac to contribute?